• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If the FFL wants to pass the buck, they will never get my money. If the FFL keeps the pressure on, so that all the requirements are satisfied, I will be a repeat customer.

I have several FFLs, that I will do anymore business with because they let the process dictate the timelines instead of the law.

Im not gonna lie, when the cop shop told me about the longer waiting period. That was a big reason for not buying the gen 4. The longer waiting period, it just bothered the hell out of me. Sure I waited an extra day or 2 for shipping and 2 A to process the pistol in, but still, its the pricipal.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Stopped in after lunch this afternoon and waited my turn, but the paperwork still isn't back. He said if I don't hear from them in the next 3-4 days, give them a call.

While I was there, I noticed a lot of security wearing suits and earpieces walking around. When I went to the gun counter, there were a couple of people walking around with lots of what appeared to be secret service surrounding them. Not sure how there were.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    My usual FFL if I submit it Wednesday morning is usually ready by Wednesday afternoon the next week, however sometimes Thursday. When I purchased a handgun from On Target on a Wednesday they seemed really annoyed when I called up the next Wednesday and the following day, saying I already told you the earliest is Friday. So I bought my next 5 regulated firearms somewhere else who doesn't give me attitude when I am excited to pick up my firearm as early as possible.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Sure being patient is a good thing, but when I have just dropped a decent chunk of change and I dont have my item...I get very restless. I think thats understandable. Quit screwing around and give me my item, you have your money.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I purchased on Saturday before Columbus Day. Cleared to pickup a week from Monday, not bad with weekends and holiday. I've never had or would sit still for a long wait. I'd be calling the MSP at a minimum to find out what is going on.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    When I ordered my P229 from Lawmen Supply in Clinton, they called me exactly 7 days later and told me it was ready to be picked up.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Boy expectations have changed. In the '80s and '90s two weeks was blazing fast, 3 weeks average, and late wasn't after 4 weeks .

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have to say that the only place I have not had to wait more than the 7 day wait is The Gun Rack the paperwork has always been back on time the 3 times that I bought handguns there. other places I've bought at: Atlantic Guns is Silver Spring it was a 9 day wait and at Cont. Arms it was close to 2 weeks as there was some problem with MSP saying they were not recieving the paperwork and it had to be resubmitted 3 or 4 times.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    You are probably right. They called me 9 days later to tell me my paperwork was ready and I could pick it up. They had three people review the paperwork again when I went in to pick it up. It took quite a while. The sales people were very nice, but were afraid to make a mistake. I heard that these guys will lose their jobs if they make a mistake. I don't want to see that happen to anyone.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I always ask before I give my card. If I buy on a Tuesday I pick up on the following Tuesday, if I buy on a Thursday I pick up on the following Thursday. I think its only Sundays that you cant pick up and holidays I am not sure but its 7 days excluding that, not 8 and I dont know where people get that number from unless its recently changed. People love to argue this one but when it comes down to it you just need to straighten it out before you purchase because its ultimately up to the dealer and if they wont hand it over than I will go elsewhere.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Best to contact your FFL first. If they come up with a lame excuse, the FFL is the problem. The MSP has been good about results.

With that said, the FFL needs to ride herd. Sometimes the MSP wants to hold an entire list of sales, because one sale is questionable, even though the recipients are not the same.

MSP has been noted more recently to not send the forms back to dealers on a timely basis from time to time. Example:

All 25 forms mailed certified return reciept Mon 10/04,
    MSP recieves all 25 forms(applications) Tue 10/05,
    All 25 return reciept green cards recieved by SD Wed 10/06
    Three forms revieved back from MSP at SD Sat 10/09
    All remaining forms Recieved by SD from MSP Fri 10/15

If Monday 10/04 was not a holiday, this is how it worked out right after the Timonium show.

All the paperwork (applications 77R's) that I didn't receive till Fri 10/15 was completed by MSP on Fri 10/08. These clowns sat on the paperwork till Thur 10/14 when their postal machine at MSP stamped the postage on the envelopes ie 10/14. They did the processing of the applications on a very timely basis but some of them are too damned lazy to get out of their chairs and carry a big mail bag to the mailman. If anyone has a problem with the timeliness of MSP to get the job completed, and bear in mind the job is NOT completed until the paperwork is back in the dealer's hands, contact MSP and complain 410-653-4050.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Sounds like nonsense to me as well.

A lawsuit against MSP, will it go anywhere?

As for MSP meeting the requirements of the laws...you gotta start with them hanging up the phone while driving, making them do the speed limit...yeah theres alot more they gotta cover along with getting their nonsense straight with processing paperwork.

What if MSP is taking too long to process and on the 8th day the FFL releases the firearm to the buyer. Later, say the 11th day we find out the buyer is disapproved...then what? They go claim his weapon from his house?

Had that happen three years ago, bad boy getting gun, MSP lost all the paperwork sent to them by me, about 67 applications if I remember correctly. I think MSP went big time OOOOOOPPPSS when they found out they could not find all that paperwork when I said I had all the signed green cards that they received all of it on a given date:D Bad boy gotta gun and wanted me to retrieve it, yea right. Bad boy turned it in to MSP barracks.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I purchased a Sig P238 from Bass Pro a week ago. Anyone purchase a regulated firearm recently? If so, how long did it take to get a response from the MSP? I know it says 7 days, but no one will release it until they get a response from them.

Thanks.

Still waiting. Technically today is the 7th business day since I did the paperwork. If I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'm going to call and ask them to contact the MSP to find out what's going on.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Had that happen three years ago, bad boy getting gun, MSP lost all the paperwork sent to them by me, about 67 applications if I remember correctly. I think MSP went big time OOOOOOPPPSS when they found out they could not find all that paperwork when I said I had all the signed green cards that they received all of it on a given date:D Bad boy gotta gun and wanted me to retrieve it, yea right. Bad boy turned it in to MSP barracks.

Good one MSP! I wouldnt turn it in, MSP owes me money then. I figure and correct me if Im wrong, but if I buy from a dealer and Im disapproved then I either get a refund for the pistol or get the chance to sell it through that dealer right?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Good one MSP! I wouldnt turn it in, MSP owes me money then. I figure and correct me if Im wrong, but if I buy from a dealer and Im disapproved then I either get a refund for the pistol or get the chance to sell it through that dealer right?

The way I understand it, if you (NOT YOU, but anybody) get DIS-approved you probably lied on your application and are subject to a felony charge. The money spent on the gun is the least of your worries.
    Unless the MSP made a mistake and you can clear it up, you are in for trouble.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The way I understand it, if you (NOT YOU, but anybody) get DIS-approved you probably lied on your application and are subject to a felony charge. The money spent on the gun is the least of your worries.
    Unless the MSP made a mistake and you can clear it up, you are in for trouble.

Buyers have been put on hold according to recent accounts. Such as fines not paid or some other MVA infraction.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=35121

Last edited:
    Sep 4, 2010
    Centreville
    I am an FFL and I appreciate everything that is posted but you have to remember, it's my license and I am the one going to jail. I have had numerous issues this month. Things have been bad. I will not go in to to much detail but lets say.....I did exactly what you are saying. After 7 days, I gave the weapon to buyer. When I called ,they had lost the paperwork and told me to resubmit. I told them, too late. I should have swung a stick at a hornet's nest instead.

Yes, we all the know the law. It is 8 days because Sundays don't count. And Troopers are supposed to speed either, but lets talk real world. Because I didnt get a NICS, I violated FEDERAL LAW. Oh yeah, that...

It is easy to talk tough on here, but I have to deal with these Troopers. When I say Hi its Corsica Sporting Goods....They KNOW who I am now!! So will I make that mistake again or will I wait and call and make sure everything is legal??

Lets not confuse WHAT IS and What SHOULD BE...

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    You have a good point and I understand that. I have to wait 8 days from my FFL and Im fine with that. However, waiting 2 weeks or something...thats crazy, I just choose to go somewhere else like I did. As for the Troopers...I wont even get into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom