• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    My brother was drawn for a bear tag. I'm going with him. Does anyone know if it's legal to OC a 4" .44 revolver while on the hunt? I think hunting regs say that you cannot hunt with a handgun under 6". I will be hunting with a rifle. The wheel gun is just for defense. Also, does anyone have aclue on how to hunt bear? :D

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    My brother was drawn for a bear tag. I'm going with him. Does anyone know if it's legal to OC a 4" .44 revolver while on the hunt? I think hunting regs say that you cannot hunt with a handgun under 6". I will be hunting with a rifle. The wheel gun is just for defense. Also, does anyone have aclue on how to hunt bear? :D

You can hunt coyote year round in Maryland with no season, no bag limit, no safety orange requirement, and no requirement for the weapon used. :innocent0

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    From the DNR Bear Hunters Guide 2018.
    Hunt with a handgun and ammunition that does not develop a muzzle energy of 700 or more footpounds
    of energy.

A quick look at a ballistics chart shows a 44mag 800-900+ muzzle energy with a 7.5 inch barrel depending on bullet weight.

Where are you going to be hunting?

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Might be a little overkill...if you're already carrying a rifle, that seems like plenty of defense. Our MD bears don't seem to be terribly aggressive, not sure I have herd of any bad encounters between bear and hunters here, but I could be out of the loop on that.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    You can carry the 4” bbl revolver solely as defense when archery hunting. You cannot carry a “hunting legal” revolver to use as defense weapon, hence the 4” bbl limit. Need a 6” bbl to hunt. You won’t need a handgun as protection when hunting bear with a rifle. If things go so south with a high power firearm in your hand that you need a backup defense piece, perhaps you shouldn’t go this time around. Now if you carry a legal hunting revolver and possibly get a shot at a bear with it in lieu of the rifle, that would be an awesome achievement, and a lasting memory.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    You can carry the 4” bbl revolver solely as defense when archery hunting. You cannot carry a “hunting legal” revolver to use as defense weapon, hence the 4” bbl limit. Need a 6” bbl to hunt. You won’t need a handgun as protection when hunting bear with a rifle. If things go so south with a high power firearm in your hand that you need a backup defense piece, perhaps you shouldn’t go this time around. Now if you carry a legal hunting revolver and possibly get a shot at a bear with it in lieu of the rifle, that would be an awesome achievement, and a lasting memory.

My thought too. I wish i had a MD legal handgun to take with me this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom