Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle

Notices

Old March 27th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #1
clandestine
AR15 Technical Instructor

Exclamation SOTAR - AR15 101 ARmorers Class Student Reviews

Website Testimonials

http://www.schooloftheamericanrifle....-testimonials/

MDS Testimonials Below:

Last edited by clandestine; January 31st, 2017 at 09:35 PM.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #2
Mdeng

Great class and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to Learn more about how their AR works. This is a hands on course. We learned how to inspect every component of the AR 15. You may even find problems that haven't caused an issue but would soon enough. I learned that several components on my rifle were about to fail. Now I know how to address the problems.

Last edited by clandestine; July 19th, 2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Removed Quote/Thread Cleanup
Mdeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #3
eventhorizon

This course was excellent and just what I was looking for. The amount of knowledge I gained was tremendous. Not to mention, as Mdeng said - I also never would have thought certain components of the rifle were going downhill until gauging everything so thoroughly. Even if you have high-end equipment it sometimes doesn't matter, which I discovered. What an eye opener that was. If something fails a test he'll resolve whatever the issue is right there in class. Chad has all of this material down to a science and then some. If you own an AR or are thinking of getting one then you should really take the class. Don't worry if you only consider yourself a beginner/novice...you won't leave feeling that way.

"I hope we once again have reminded people that man isn't free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts." - Ronald Reagan
eventhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #4
CypherPunk
Opinions Are My Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon View Post
This course was excellent and just what I was looking for. The amount of knowledge I gained was tremendous. Not to mention, as Mdeng said - I also never would have thought certain components of the rifle were going downhill until gauging everything so thoroughly. Even if you have high-end equipment it sometimes doesn't matter, which I discovered. What an eye opener that was. If something fails a test he'll resolve whatever the issue is right there in class. Chad has all of this material down to a science and then some. If you own an AR or are thinking of getting one then you should really take the class. Don't worry if you only consider yourself a beginner/novice...you won't leave feeling that way.

My Colt LE6940 is nearly (but not quite) a safe queen.
Should I have any concerns about breaking it down in the course, or should I build out one of my lowers instead?

2018 Frederick IWLA Training Schedule
Maryland Firearms Wiki & FAQ - Contribute!
CypherPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypherPunk View Post
Should I have any concerns about breaking it down in the course, or should I build out one of my lowers instead?
Its up to you. I would have no concerns about taking any AR to Chad's class.

This class was amazingly well thought out and planned. It was simaltaneously perfect for someone who only knew only how to load and pull the trigger up to someone who really knows the guts and workings and wants to know more.

If you just bought an AR, take the class

If you think you know it all already ... challenge yourself and take the class to see if you really do

It was great meeting you guys in person!

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #6
pwoolford
AR15's make me :-)

Quote:
I would bring along whichever AR is your go to if you ever really needed one.

I agree this class was excellent and very highly recommend to anyone. Chad is a genius that loves to teach and it shows.

Freestate Member

I hate the destructiveness and waste of warfare, but I love the sensation of it.
- Command Sergeant Major Eric L. Haney - 1SFOD-D Retired
pwoolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #7
fidelity
piled higher and deeper

It's like Top Chef training for guns without the stage elimination competitions. He's very detail oriented. He's also wearing a very clean shop apron. Small class but still has a large video projection so you can see the fine work. He's also diagnosing problems in our ARs and showing us how to fix and fixing in class. A bunch of us have had gas key problems, even if staked. All have been brought back up to spec. So much information though. We are halfway through but would love to take again in a year's time to reinforce what I've learned and pick up the nuances that I'm missing.

Quote:

The Colt would be fine. There were a couple with Colts last night. Go through some basic breakdowns of the rifle from YouTube to re familiarize yourself with the AR before class and it will help. You'll need to lightly clean and then degrease/deoil your rifle before the class including the bolt in the bolt assembly for the class as it it structured around testing every facet of the rifle to make sure it is functioning properly and within proper specs/tolerances. This aspect is exhaustive but much of it will stick and you will have an empowered perspective of the whole. If it wasn't already, your rifle really becomes "your" rifle when done. In fact, I want to go break mine down and clean it right now.

Last edited by clandestine; July 19th, 2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #8
GTOGUNNER
IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!

Quote:
Bring the Colt and an upper that you will put on one of your built lowers.

This class is great for any firearms instructor to take. You will not be a gunsmith when done, but you will have a much better understanding of an AR and will relate to other firearms to some extent.

“All I can tell you is, Mr. Beretta said ‘There always seems to be a problem with Maryland'. ”

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Warren v. District of Columbia (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) You need a gun!!
SAF, MSP QHIC, NRA Life Member Certified Pistol and Rifle Instuctor, and RSO

Last edited by GTOGUNNER; March 28th, 2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: speilin
GTOGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Parshooter
Silent Majority Member

5 STARS!

I give it 5 out of 5! Chad, you could charge way more and it would be worth it to me. I figure if I took my rifle to a smith and had all these points checked it would cost as much or more and I wouldn't have any understanding of what happened. MDENG, thanks for the company on the way up and back. It was great to meet you, ARAY, Fidelity, Inkd, and seeing all the others there. Once again I stepped out of my comfort zone and had a great time. Chad's knowledge just comes flying out at you, and he just keeps going for hours. I'm not even ashamed to admit to having won the booby prize for slowest in the field stripping contest. I almost didn't even participate but figured "WTH". Then after 10 seconds and it was over I was like . I had barely dropped my lower and pulled the BCG But I know my limitations and can chuckle about them. I will cherish the prize- it already has a special place. Not everyone can say they have a quart sized can of "CHAD LUBE", but I can. If we could bring Ruger MK's to a class, I might stand a chance at that one. It would need to be field strip and re-assemble the little buggars

I would only ask you to incorporate a couple more scheduled breaks. Just long enough to use the rest room. Some of us old guys need to do that a little more than others- my doctor says that's normal, but what does he know? I didn't want to leave the class because I didn't want to chance missing something. Of course, when I eventually had to I could hear the whole room break out in raucous laughter. Who knows what I missed...

Parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #10
radial

Really excellent class. Chad has a deep understanding of the AR platform and the tools and techniques for optimizing its performance and reliability. He's also got a flair for teaching. Whether you are a novice like me or someone who has been building and shooting these firearms for years, I guarantee you will get your money's worth and then-some.

One of the things I liked best was the equipment. He wasn't just talking about this procedure or that one -- he had all the tools right there and you got to watch him use them it in real time. Sometimes while he was fixing something on your gun! It was like being right there in the shop looking over his shoulder. He also lets you handle everything. If you are a visual/tactile learner like me, don't miss this class.

Another thing I liked were the product tips. E.g., this degreaser works well, that one can eat the aluminum off your lower receiver. I haven't got the time or the resources to learn everything the hard way, so being able to leverage Chad's experience over the years he has spent learning this stuff is priceless.

Well, priceless in the long run anyway. I have to admit that Harbor Freight, Home Depot and Amazon made a killing off me today. But you know what they say, buy once, cry once. I can't wait for the next learning adventure.
radial is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Industry Partners > Firearms Training > School of the American Rifle