• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    That comparison chart is deceptive because it doesn't take width of the pistols into account, and that is a big consideration to concealment. The other things that aren't taken into account are method/location of carry. Example- if carrying in an ankle rig, a light, thin, and short gripped pistol is more desirable across a wide variety of pant styles.

Appendix carry is a great carry method, but it's not suited to someone who is on the heavier side in the belly region. Appendix is probably the best method for concealing a full size handgun. If appendix is a no go, that drives that person to carry OWB or IWB, usually behind the hip (5 or 7 o'clock). A thinner profile is more desirable for both these methods, but cover clothing can help adjust for it.

Finally, as always, mission dictates. What will you be doing while carrying, and will your method of carry impact your ability to get to the pistol? Many people buy a pistol for other than truly mission specific and purpose-driven reasons. Then they end up compromising in multiple areas if carrying.

I'll be getting a couple of these Glocks. As long as they keep with Glock's tradition of reliability, they will probably become their best selling gun.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    If it ever comes to pass that the general citizenry can carry in this state, then I'm running to get this and a G26 to complement my Shield 9mm.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That comparison chart is deceptive because it doesn't take width of the pistols into account, and that is a big consideration to concealment. The other things that aren't taken into account are method/location of carry. Example- if carrying in an ankle rig, a light, thin, and short gripped pistol is more desirable across a wide variety of pant styles.

Appendix carry is a great carry method, but it's not suited to someone who is on the heavier side in the belly region. Appendix is probably the best method for concealing a full size handgun. If appendix is a no go, that drives that person to carry OWB or IWB, usually behind the hip (5 or 7 o'clock). A thinner profile is more desirable for both these methods, but cover clothing can help adjust for it.

Finally, as always, mission dictates. What will you be doing while carrying, and will your method of carry impact your ability to get to the pistol? Many people buy a pistol for other than truly mission specific and purpose-driven reasons. Then they end up compromising in multiple areas if carrying.

I'll be getting a couple of these Glocks. As long as they keep with Glock's tradition of reliability, they will probably become their best selling gun.

Been too long since I've seen you post, great info as always:thumbsup:

There really isn't a substitute for handling a pistol, not only does the thickness and overall dimentions matter, but where it is thick does too, some pistols might be thick at the top of the frame and thin in the slide, or the other way around. Found the comparison pic to show just the bare basic size comparison. Good point about where you carry too, I carry 4:00IWB, but occasionally in a pocket where thickness and even shape can be more of an issue. The 43 does look promising, especially for deeper concealment and BUG roles, can't wait to see how it competes against other models on the market now. Have tried out a 42, I'm not so sure it will become obsolete, will probably have a fraction of the recoil of the 43, and depending on final dimensions it could be a better choice for some.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I'd get my HQL for one. I love my 26, but a nice skinny single stack would be even better.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I think people like myself are wondering why they didn't do this in the first place. I bought a 42 and I really like it but would have preferred this.

rtruhn

Sep 12, 2013
    Gwynn Oak
    I think people like myself are wondering why they didn't do this in the first place. I bought a 42 and I really like it but would have preferred this.

If I recall correctly, Sootch did a video review of the 42 that noted problems Glock initially had in scaling down the 9mm to smaller single-stack specs, but they we're able to solve it quicker by scaling it down to 380 dimensions.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    This will not be a primary for me when it comes out. This will serve as an ankle gun to back up the G26, 19, or G30s that are my normal primary carry guns. My S&W Shield serves that purpose now. I like higher capacity for a primary carry gun.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    if they do, in fact, come out with a single stack 9mm it makes me wonder why they bothered with the 42. It will become virtually obsolete. NO ONE will buy it anymore...

Great marketing scheme. They would never have sold as many 42's if they had the single stack 9 out. Sold a lot guns after the shot show last year and if and when they bring out the 9 they'll sell a lot more.

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    I can't understand why some people are acting so surprised isn't this a common marketing scheme? Didn't Ruger come out with the LCP before the LC9, and Smith come out with the Bodyguard before the Shield? It's typical milking the market, before the next best thing, Glock isn't the first and won't be the last, and I'll definitely pick one up if it is unveiled as expected.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd have to fire one first. I shoot a G22 and G23 pretty well. I don't shoot the G27 very well at all, too small for me to get a really good grip. I realize the recoil is less on the 9mm as opposed to the .40, but it's still a short grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom