• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I received my two unissued K31's today from Samco and wow, I am blown away. Both are beech, one is a 1947 and the other is a 1951. The bluing is 100% original, the darker black that came from the factory. Beech stock for both is perfect save a few minor storage marks. The buttplate, which anyone that owns a K31 knows is usually a little bit beat up with no bluing remaining is smooth and blued on both. The sling is stiff and appears brand new. The bore is perfect, mirror bright. Basically, these are brand new rifles.

I wish I could buy 5 more...

Sorry, forgot to say will post pictures maybe tomorrow. Going to bed.

WTF! No pics!?!?! :(

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Here we go. I got two pictures for now:

Attachments

• K31(1).jpg
      K31(1).jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 411
    • K31(2).jpg
      K31(2).jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 398

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I'm picking up my two after work at UPS. At least there are no billboard import marks. Where is the import mark located?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    ^^^ Yep on the refinished. I'd be tempted to strip that gloss off of there, but whatever floats your boat (see the recent post of an M1 carbine that the owner de-glossed in a great improvement).

I have since learned from Gunboards personality "Bob in St Louis", who is the reigning expert on Spanish Mausers, that the stock probably has not been refinished and that the varnish was likely applied by La Coruña or the arsenal to which the rifle was sent. I was going to strip the stock but someone suggested that the varnish might be original and to research it before I did anything to ruin the stock. I'm glad I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Here we go. I got two pictures for now:

What is the serial number range on those beautiful K31s? I'm guess those are some of the last ones made, probably 2XXXXX (they started over the serial numbers at 100,000 when they hit 999,999).

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I have since learned from Gunboards personality "Bob in St Louis", who is the reigning expert on Spanish Mausers, that the stock probably has not been refinished and that the varnish was likely applied by La Coruña or the arsenal to which the rifle was sent. I was going to strip the stock but someone suggested that the varnish might be original and to research it before I did anything to ruin the stock. I'm glad I asked.

That may be, and the gun may look different in person, but from what I can see in the photos, the finish that's on it appears to be semi-gloss polyurethane, rather than old-school varnish. Also, you'll notice that there's a darker patina toward the grain ends of the the furniture, and the wood is not very patinated at all when you get away from those ends. Usually, an unmolested finish and the wood beneath it darkens pretty evenly.

In the last two photos it looks like the finish that's on it now has been flowed into old scars. Again, it's hard to be certain from photos, but that's how it looks. When a scar or scrape happens to the original finish, you don't get the flowed-in appearance that seems to be there. Of course, since there are so few of those showing on your stock, it's tough to tell for sure, but you should be able to look specifically for that when you examine the rifle ... is that finish going into the scar on the wood, or is the scar going into the finish?

Again, it's hard to tell for sure from photos, and that's all we have to work with, but what you showed really looks like someone stripped that stock, probably sanded it a bit, and then put on a couple of coats of modern semi-gloss finish. You'll have to make that determination, though. You're the one who can hold the gun in your hands and examine it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom