• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I have a CW9 and I am pretty happy with it. I thought about the CM9 but decided it was a little too small. The CW9 allows me to get all of my fingers around the grip and and gives me a better hold than I could get with the CM9 which had my little finger hanging off the grip. I've only shot a few hundred rounds through mine, but I have not experienced any issues. The trigger pull takes some getting use to as it is way longer than the glock trigger that I've grown accustomed to.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I sold my brothers Kahr he carried off duty to another member here and wish I had kept it for myself.

It was an older model that was all metal instead of the new polymer lowers.

I was amazed at how accurate that thing was. I actually contacted them guy last year and asked him if he would be willing to sell it back to me.

He was smarter than I was and declined. :D

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've got a CW9 as well and am rather fond of it. Never gave them much thought until I held one and ended up getting it instead of another pistol I was planning on buying at the time. No regrets whatsoever, there are a few that rarely leave the safe now that I have it. Thin, easy to conceal, fits the hand exceptionally well for it's size, and has been reliable.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    If you consider the 9mm x 18 makarov round, there are several nice options in the CZ lineup or the Radom P64 that are exceptional for concealment and excellent relatable shooting miliary surplus pistols.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    It is larger than the smaller than the CM9, but the Shield and the CW9 are pretty much the same size.

IMO there is such a thing as too small for certain calibers and I think when you start getting down to those "micro" pistols they are really just too small for practical self defense use. Snappy recoil, super short sight radius, and limited ammo. Just like there is too big, there is also too small... Just a thought!

:party29:

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I have a PPS, Shield, and an LC9 in the rack. Each has more than 500 rounds down the pipe, and I've been happy with the performance of each. No discernible difference on the range after familiarization. The Ruger finds its way off the rack far more often than the others. Haven't thought much about why until now, just seems to happen that way :-)

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    It's funny how everybody mentions the shield's safety. To me it's so tucked away it's non-existent. You have to intentionally activate it, if you don't want a safety don't fool with the safety. That simple. When compared xds gotta remember that the xds is like buying a shield & a half. Performance wise they do the same thing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

+1

I carry a shield and don't activate the safety. It doesn't get in the way at all.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    If you don't mind a grip safety, maybe try an XDS 9mm? Slap a pearce grip extension and a talon grip on it and it is golden. Completely disappears IWB.

xds.jpg

(P/C: xds9mm on xdtalk)

I EDC the XDS-45, same configuration as above (swapped out front red fiber optic for green fiber optic) and can't say enough good things about it. Works swell in a MIC holster too, added peace of mind with the grip safety. :). That's just me though.

S&W Shield is also nice, though I'm not a fan of the toggle safety on that either. Personally I think the fit and finish of the xds beats the shield. Eats anything too, from +P to dirty steel ammo.

Love those Talon grips! I put em on an XD service and never looked back! ;)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    ^Ditto^ - if carefully prepped the Talon grips will not peel off even with cleaning fluids. Also, even the extended 7 round mag is not too big to carry IWB. I changed out the fiber and went with MeproLight TruDots :thumbsup: I like the .45 I have, but would not hesitate to recommend the 9mm for someone so inclined. Its the same exact firearm except for the mag and the barrel is bored smaller diameter. Interestingly that makes the 9 an ounce or so heavier than the .45. Last, if you are worried about holster/slide wear it is available with a SS slide. It's very accurate.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    So you would seriously rely on the saftey staying off? That has disaster written all over it. If i bought a shield, i would practice disengaging the safety while drawing. The xds cost more but to me it's worth it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So you would seriously rely on the saftey staying off? That has disaster written all over it. If i bought a shield, i would practice disengaging the safety while drawing. The xds cost more but to me it's worth it.

I like the Shield even though I am not a S&W fan. If they built it without an external safety I might go for it but I will not as is. I don't have any issue concealing a Glock 26 so I may just keep waiting for Glock to make a single stack 9 mm.

I bet $100 Glock makes a single stack 9 mm before MD becomes shall issue. Any takers?

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I have the CW9 and P64 - I like both in their own ways.

The Kahr is surprisingly inexpensive for the performance you get. For that matter the P64 was very inexpensive (at the time) but SA is widely known for being a matter of physical forces on the finger. The nice thing, for me, about the CW9 over the CM9 is the grip felt much more secure due to the length.

FWIW - I use a canted Comp-Tac paddle holster for the CW9 and found it to be very "natural" feeling.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I'll say again that the Bersa BP9cc is what you want. 8 rounds, less than an inch thick, a little smaller than a PPK.

Do a review search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    You might find this link useful.
    http://best9mm.com/compact9mm.html
    and this one:
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/11/05/8-great-9mm-pocket-pistols-for-personal-defense/

I went with the CM9 due to its reputation, size/weight, and price. It is supposed to have a 200 round break in period, but I never had any issues reaching the 200 mark, and it has eaten anything I've fed it. It is about mid-range on what you can spend and is widely available. I also like the P938, but of course it is a completely different design being a sort of "mini-1911". One caution. These are generally not range toys, as the smaller you go, the more wearing it can be on your shooting hand. They are for close in self-defense, and recoil and sights may not be the same factors as they would be for a target shooter. I have also added a CT laser guard as I find using the laser easier on my fading eyesight since I don't generally wear my reading glasses in situations where I'd likely find myself in a defensive situation.

As with any other buying decision, try to fire before you buy.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

No more a disaster than riding a slide lock when firing to empty.

You obviously have not experienced a Shield. It would take A LOT to engage that safety. There is no ancillary movement related to normal pistol handling that would engage that safety.
    Now, throw it around, bang on the edge of a desk, something with some force, MAYBE. But anyone holstering a weapon after an anomaly like that would check it before holstering.
    This safety is stout to engage and disengage.
    People are so picky to the point that they talk themselves out of buying a good piece of equipment.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    People are so picky to the point that they talk themselves out of buying a good piece of equipment.

I think it could be argued that the selection of high-quality & affordable handguns are so vast today that the biggest importance is user adaptability. There are many different styles with some design and functional differences, but they are hard or impossible to rank because they are more different than they are better vs. worst.

In most cases, the biggest challenge seems to be the user adjusting to and working to master the usage of a tool that is just different from what they are accustomed to.

I initially hated the mag release on H&Ks having mainly shot Glocks through that point...now, years later after adapting, learning, and becoming proficient with, the USP is my favorite gun and the mag release is one of my favorite design aspects on the entire firearm.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    No more a disaster than riding a slide lock when firing to empty.

You obviously have not experienced a Shield. It would take A LOT to engage that safety. There is no ancillary movement related to normal pistol handling that would engage that safety.
    Now, throw it around, bang on the edge of a desk, something with some force, MAYBE. But anyone holstering a weapon after an anomaly like that would check it before holstering.
    This safety is stout to engage and disengage.

Your right, I have not experienced a shield. The "positive" manual safety made it an instant no-go. I guess you can use some JB weld to keep it in place. I also found a review stating the safety somehow engaged when the user left it off before holstering. I really wanted one but I just don't see the point in carrying a tiny gun with a manual safety. Especially with everything else offered these days.

You are right though. I am picky when it comes to firearms, lol. The XDS just seemed to be the best overall for what I'm looking for.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    I would just hate to hear someone not making it home because they thought their safety was disengaged. IMO you should practice disengaging it upon drawing. Because what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom