• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Bought a Gamo Varmint Hunter I just can't get the scope to zero in. Shooting about 40 yards in groups of 4 and it just won't dial in to a repeatable group. I am shooting Dasiy hollow point pellets. Tried a few Gamo platinum they seemed to group a bit better but still not acceptable. Any ideas?

Thanks,

WGS

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Bought a Gamo Varmint Hunter I just can't get the scope to zero in. Shooting about 40 yards in groups of 4 and it just won't dial in to a repeatable group. I am shooting Dasiy hollow point pellets. Tried a few Gamo platinum they seemed to group a bit better but still not acceptable. Any ideas?

Thanks,

WGS

Gamo Match Diablo has always given me the better groups from my GVH. There may be better out there, but I've only tried several different kinds.

Accuracy from mine in order:

GAMO
    -Match
    -Hunter
    -Master Point
    -Magnum
    -PBA Raptor

RWS
    -Meisterkugeln

The GVH has a heinous trigger. If you really want to make it a better rifle, get a trigger from Charlie Da Tuna. They are inexpensive and will drop the pull down to almost scary levels. :thumbsup:

Also, get rid of the scope they bundle with it. The zero will shift from shot to shot.:rolleyes:

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I will give the artillary hold a try this evening as well as moving the target in closer. Will post the results. Thanks again,

WGS

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    How many rounds have been shot through the gun? My understanding is that pellet rifles have a 50-100 round break-in period, after which the groups will really tighten up.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    IME it almost always boils down to ammo. I have a Crossman phantom and it shoots Gamo Hunter and Crossman Regular pellets the best. DEAD accurate with the Gamo Hunter Ballistic tip. I've found that supersonic ammo doesn't have very good accuracy. With the subsonic Gamo and my suppressor all you hear is the spring in the gun.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I had one that also wouldn't zero. The factory "scope" was bouncing around like a jumping bean with every shot. Why oh why do they even put a scope on if it's going to be total garbage??

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    IME it almost always boils down to ammo. I have a Crossman phantom and it shoots Gamo Hunter and Crossman Regular pellets the best. DEAD accurate with the Gamo Hunter Ballistic tip. I've found that supersonic ammo doesn't have very good accuracy. With the subsonic Gamo and my suppressor all you hear is the spring in the gun.

My Beeman P3 absolutely loves those standard GH better than any other pellet.:thumbsup:

I had one that also wouldn't zero. The factory "scope" was bouncing around like a jumping bean with every shot. Why oh why do they even put a scope on if it's going to be total garbage??

I feel the same way.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for this info. Tried it last night and it made a huge difference.

WGS

Saw that and tried it. Seems to make the groups some smaller. I wasn't strangling the gun before, so it maybe didn't help me as much as others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom