• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveG75

Feb 25, 2013
    Escaped to gunny FL.
    Got bored today. Downloaded both old and new rules, converted them to Word and did a compare documents. If you view with track changes on, you should see all the changes. If you view as Final, it should be the 2017 rules. It is not perfect but it helps show the changes.

Attachments

• IDPA RULES CHANGES.docx
      2.9 MB · Views: 119

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    So did they ever amend anything based on member input? Or was the "commentary period" just pacification?

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    So did they ever amend anything based on member input? Or was the "commentary period" just pacification?
    There was definitely change. But just like a few years ago when they went through some changes, there'll be a a few months and maybe several matches for people to get used to some of the new things.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    You know, I would have thought that after the mess of the last rule book that they'd have gotten someone who knows what they're doing to write the rule book this time. Obviously, I made the mistake of assuming we were dealing with a professional organization, because they're currently on the 3rd release of the "Official" rule book and it's still a vague ambiguous mess.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Gonna have a bunch of freshly minted Masters running around very soon.

I shot the new classifier last weekend. I shot like crap (haven't practiced in about 3-4 months and it was freezing out) and easily made Expert in CCP. I shot SS at my last old classifier and only missed Expert by a few seconds while my score in the new classifier was only about 8-10 seconds from Master due to a couple down 3's and dumb down 1's due to lack of practice. If I practice even a little bit I should get Master at my next classifier. It feels a little unfulfilling to level up so easily.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I shot the new classifier last weekend. I shot like crap (haven't practiced in about 3-4 months and it was freezing out) and easily made Expert in CCP. I shot SS at my last old classifier and only missed Expert by a few seconds while my score in the new classifier was only about 8-10 seconds from Master due to a couple down 3's and dumb down 1's due to lack of practice. If I practice even a little bit I should get Master at my next classifier. It feels a little unfulfilling to level up so easily.

Thanks for the report. I may try it out this weekend out of curiosity even though I have made the move to USPSA... where Master, and Grand Master still mean something...

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Others who have reclassified under new rules: please share how it went...old and new class.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Got the new rule book in the mail today (which I thumbed through now despite the electronic version being available earlier).

In addition to Pistol Caliber Carbines being folded into Specialty Divisions (SPD), the Not For Competition (NFC) division has been eliminated and effectively folded into SPD. Like SSP and ESP, the round count is 10 for this division. As noted in 8.2.10 of the 2017 IDPA rule book ...

8.2.10 Specialty Divisions (SPD)
    A. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 6 competition handgun divisions.
    B. IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm, carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions to participate in matches.
    C. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
    D. All IDPA membership rules apply.
    E. Specialty Division classifications are based on the shooters highest classification of regular IPDA divisions.
    F. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.

This was of interest to me because the Sig P226 SAO has an ambi safety (that I want to leave in place) which pushes it out of the ESP division because it is approximately 1.73 inches wide and this category limits pistols to 1.625 inches in width. By other metrics, the P226 SAO is otherwise a good fit in ESP. However, now that Match Directors have discretion to add SPD firearms (likely specifying whether it's for PCCs or handguns - as PCCs are optimally run as a separate squad), this may be a bigger draw for folks that don't want to buy a firearm to shoebox to IDPA requirements vs train with a firearm that they already intend to use in a HD or SD situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom