• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    I've been searching the net but can't seem to find any info on upcoming rimfire competitions nearby. Anyone have any leads?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Monocacy Pistol Club's bowling pin match is this Saturday (Sept. 28) due to a reschedule. We allow .22s with the pins set along the back of the table about 8" from the back. They still have to cleaned from the table even when fallen so with a .22 shot placement is key. Classes for Open and Limited semis and Open and Limited revolvers.
    Oct. 5-6 at Palmyra Sportsman's Club, near Hershey PA is the 4th Annual PSA Rimfire Challenge. 200+ steel rimfire targets spread over 4 stages. Individual Rifle and Pistol (all shot unlimited), and 2 person teams with one shooting rifle and the other pistol. Max 10 rd in pistol mags and 25 in rifle mags. 60 seconds par time plus any left standing. Sat AM and PM and Sun AM shifts. I think I have a thread just on that and there are videos on line from previous events you can watch. I will be shooting all 3 shifts. Not sure if PSA has reached max entries as yet. $900 in prizes per shift.
    Oct. 12 Monocacy Pistol Club's Speed Steel match. 5 stages of 5 targets each shot 4 times each (like Steel Challenge). .22 rifle and pistol classes, pistol has open and limited all rifles shoot open.
    Oct. 13 MPC Rimfire Falling Steel match. 9 4" floppers w/stop plate (sometimes they throw in a 6 target dueling tree). Max 10 rd in the gun no reloads. Shot as many times as the number of entries allows in 3 hours. Pistols shoot open and limited, rifles are all open.
    Oct. 19 2nd Annual New Jersey Ruger Rimfire Challenge regional at the South Jersey Shooting Club. 8 stages, 5 pistol and 3 rifle. Both Open and Limited classes, plus subcategories like Cowboy, Mechanical, Junior, and Ladies.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    sunday October 6 is IR-5050 benchrest shoot at sanner's lake sportsman club (SLSC). 50 yards using a scoped .22 rimfire rifle.

sunday October 20 is rimfire steel challenge. pistol/rifle match. this one is fun!!!! also at SLSC. (canceled this month)

Last edited:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Speed Steel this Sat. 10 AM at MPC. I will miss that due to my entry in the Advanced NDM match at Peacemaker. Bring 4 10 round or at least 1 25 rd mags for your .22 rifle or pistol
    Rimfire Falling Steel this Sun. 10 AM at MPC. I will make that.
    Remember that both .22LR handguns and semi-auto rifles are allowed.
    Got back today from the 4th Annual PSA Rimfire Challenge. I think Mike Shoemaker and I did really well in the team event. Maybe as high as 2nd place. Neither of us had ever shot the team event before so we played it by ear. Turns out our overall score of under 100 seconds for the 4 stages would have finished 2nd last year, too as only 1 team went under 100s in 2012.

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Oct. 12 Monocacy Pistol Club's Speed Steel match. 5 stages of 5 targets each shot 4 times each (like Steel Challenge). .22 rifle and pistol classes, pistol has open and limited all rifles shoot open.
    You mention that "all rifles shoot open," does that mean that the course of fire requires rifles to have optics? My daughter and I usually shoot the Ruger Rimfire Challenge in the limited class for both pistol and rifle but I've got a scoped rifle that we can use instead if needed.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'd like to do some rimfire competition also. I only have bolt action iron sight .22 rifles, and a Hi Standard pistol that takes .22 short. Anything around here that I could do?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    You mention that "all rifles shoot open," does that mean that the course of fire requires rifles to have optics? My daughter and I usually shoot the Ruger Rimfire Challenge in the limited class for both pistol and rifle but I've got a scoped rifle that we can use instead if needed.
    No it just means that the rifles with iron sights, red dots, and scopes get lumped together into one class. As long as the range to target is between 15-35 yards then a red dot is the fastest way to shoot steel. Tactical scopes at 1x can be fast also but the extra weight often means the swing speed is slower. Good iron sight shooters can do pretty well at shorter ranges. There are always a couple of Limited shooters who finish way up in the Ruger Rimfire WC overall scores.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Speed Steel this Sat. 10 AM at MPC. I will miss that due to my entry in the Advanced NDM match at Peacemaker. Bring 4 10 round or at least 1 25 rd mags for your .22 rifle or pistol
    Rimfire Falling Steel this Sun. 10 AM at MPC. I will make that.
    Remember that both .22LR handguns and semi-auto rifles are allowed.
    Got back today from the 4th Annual PSA Rimfire Challenge. I think Mike Shoemaker and I did really well in the team event. Maybe as high as 2nd place. Neither of us had ever shot the team event before so we played it by ear. Turns out our overall score of under 100 seconds for the 4 stages would have finished 2nd last year, too as only 1 team went under 100s in 2012.
    Update: Mike and I finished 4th overall in the team event. Congratulations to Brian Shanholtz, a non-member friend that shoots at MPC sometimes for finishing in 1st place in both the individual rifle and pistol divisions. His 20 second flat run in Stage 4 w/rifle was a sight to behold. Shot with a stock 15-22 w/red dot and a trigger swap.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    I'd like to do some rimfire competition also. I only have bolt action iron sight .22 rifles, and a Hi Standard pistol that takes .22 short. Anything around here that I could do?

I signed up for the 2013 Ruger Rimfire Competition in Southern NJ, I was told they have "loaner" handguns and rifles at each stage of fire, just need to supply ammo.

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks everyone for posting! I'm all signed up for my first competition. If anyone else is going to the 2013 Ruger Rimfire Comp, in Southern New Jersey and wants to carpool or shoot as a squad let me know. I'm Middle River, about 2 hours away from the competition

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    I wish I had known about the Ruger Rimfire competition earlier, or I'd've signed up... It's pretty short notice, but I'm still considering it!

22Shooter

Feb 5, 2013
    They're taking registrations day of the event, $50 at the door, if you preregister it's $40

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not sure I am going to make this one. 3 hrs 40+ minutes from my house. But I might depending on the weather on Saturday. Means I need to leave at 4 AM, though.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    blodter , i could be wrong but that look like it sit down slow fire bullseye shooting . i could be wrong which hopefully i am because that is nice and close to home. nothing wrong with that but i think the op is looking more for the action / speed shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom