• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I wish I could have made it to the last match, I have yet to shoot in a competition and want to start. Figured I would attend this one and spend my first time observing as I've never even attended a match before. Hopefully I can make it to the next one. How many magazines do you need per stage?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I wish I could have made it to the last match, I have yet to shoot in a competition and want to start. Figured I would attend this one and spend my first time observing as I've never even attended a match before. Hopefully I can make it to the next one. How many magazines do you need per stage?

This is a low pressure match. It's quite relaxed, not on safety, but it's a competition in name only. IDPA and USPSA are a step up and this is good practice ground to manage you gun and safety "manners".

How many mags depends on the stages. I think one fellow last week had 3 mags and people offered to load them for him between runs. One stage had 2 runs, one had 5 and the third had one. There was a different round count on each stage. If you have three mags get someone to load one while you shoot. Don't just come to watch, but bring you gun and embarrass yourself with the rest of us.

If I've spoken out of turn, GTK64 will come along and set us straight.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    This is a low pressure match. It's quite relaxed, not on safety, but it's a competition in name only. IDPA and USPSA are a step up and this is good practice ground to manage you gun and safety "manners".

How many mags depends on the stages. I think one fellow last week had 3 mags and people offered to load them for him between runs. One stage had 2 runs, one had 5 and the third had one. There was a different round count on each stage. If you have three mags get someone to load one while you shoot. Don't just come to watch, but bring you gun and embarrass yourself with the rest of us.

If I've spoken out of turn, GTK64 will come along and set us straight.

When you say "run" does it mean you go through the same stage multiple times?

GTK64

Sep 27, 2010
    When you say "run" does it mean you go through the same stage multiple times?

Depending on the stage you can shoot it once or up to 5 times. Its all for fun if you come bring your gun and shoot, we will help you out as we go and you will have a blast.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit

Definitely plan on shooting. This weekend was my first time doing this and I felt very comfortable. As for magazines, I brought three 17 rounders, and I don't think I ever got to the third one. Maybe on the course when we had 5 turns I might have switched to the third mag for the last run to be conservative. On the other courses I did not have to reload.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Are there any other matches (rifle pistol or shotgun) that take place nearby? I am from the Jarrettsville/Forest Hill area and would like more options than one a month :D any places do pin shoots? I always thought that sounded fun.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    Are there any other matches (rifle pistol or shotgun) that take place nearby? I am from the Jarrettsville/Forest Hill area and would like more options than one a month :D any places do pin shoots? I always thought that sounded fun.

There are steel bowling pin shoots held at AGC during the summer, about once a month too.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

York Pistol at the York Izaak Walton League of America.

If you are new to action shooting start out with the monthly fun shoots, as they are more relaxed. Let them know you are new and they will show you what and how...enjoy

http://www.yorkpistol.blogspot.com/
    Look for FunShoot Info in the green sidebar about half way down.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onatsky:
    "With the way I shoot... I have 9 17rd magazines"

grayson71 resonded:
    "you do miss alot...... "

OUCH!!!!!

On a suggestive note, just remember not to shoot faster than you can shoot. Speed will come with time and practice...live AND dryfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom