• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    B-ville pistol rifle is hosting IDPA on October 29. Was thinking about going. This would be my first attempt at this. Can someone give me the run down on what to expect as a first timer. It also says it's a "club match" does this mean members only. I happen to be off next week and always wanted to try this out and that works with my schedule.

myusername

Apr 19, 2012
    More info on the bridgeville IDPA: http://bville-rifle-pistol.org/?page_id=146

It's been about a year since I last went there, but they have a very nice range and are beginner friendly (it's where I got my start). IDPA matches are open to the public and the match fee is minimal.

What to expect - Before to go, read the IDPA rules to get the rundown on idpa equipent, procedures, and scoring. When you show up, let the RO know that you are new and they will gladly talk you through what to do. Don't uncase your gun until you check with the RO on what their rules are for safe areas to handle firearms. For the match, take your time and focus on not having any safety violations or procedural penalties. Don't be afraid of asking questions if you are unsure of anything.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I haven't done idpa there, but some general input: just bring a reliable handgun and a good holster. I'd guess 150 rounds will be way more than enough ammo. 3 mags (most stages you'll use 2 mags and nice to have one more just in case). Either mag pouches or can use back pocket. Cover garment like a vest or just a shirt or jacket that hides your gun and mags.

the two big safety things (there are more of course) are keep the muzzle pointed downrange (incl when reloading, moving, etc) and finger clearly off the trigger if not actually shooting.

just tell them at each of the stages you're new and they'll let you go last so you can see how it's done.

there are a bunch of specialized rules (can't move while reloading from behind cover, can't dump a mag on the ground if it or your gun has ammo, rules for how to prioritize targets, etc). Don't worry about these. Just be safe and do what you need to do, you'll probably get some procedural penalties that hurt your score a little. If you do, just ask what you did wrong, they'll explain and you'll know for next time.

as noted above, doesn't hurt to read the rule book in advance, but don't let it scare you away, you can learn 'on the job.'

I did an idpa match a month ago at a range I hadn't been to before, and the RO/SO was incredibly trying to make it as difficult as possible for the newbies to grasp. One newbie was so perplexed he said he was just going to sit out the match and try to learn. I told the newbies it wasn't nearly as hard as the guy was making it out to be, just do it and have fun. The one guy who was going to sit out did shoot the match and at the end said he enjoyed it and was glad he didn't sit it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom