• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Or do what I do. Get a set of medium height rings, try them out and see what change I need to make. :)

Best done with a vendor where you can return the rings if you need to switch.

Medium height rings are available pretty cheap at Walmart. If you do this often, just get a set of mediums for $25 and use them to figure out what you need.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to be cautious of, not all rings are measured the same way.

But at least you will have a starting point.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I have not mounted my scope yet. I don't want to get off subject, but I'm afraid MD is moving so fast with the gun laws that I may not get a chance to acquire a suppressor for my rifle. Any thoughts as to which would be the quietest for this 308? I have seen some great videos and was thoroughly impressed with the brand SAS when I was shooting at the range 2 tables down from from a guy using an SAS on his 308. I want to get a few suppressors in the pipeline so when Brown or Gansler go apeshit and outlaw everything, I will have what I wanted. I was also concerned with whether or not I could get 1000 yards out of a 308 with a suppressor and shooting subsonic ammo.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With subsonic ammo, NO WAY.

The trajectory would be like a RAINBOW.

For 220 grain SMK at 1100 fps, the drop at 1000 yards is 1641 inches. The come up (scope adjustment) is 45.6 mils. At 1025 yards, the drop is 1737 inches, so almost another 100 inche in 25 yards range difference.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Subsonic .308 is for shooting deer at closer ranges. Think if it as the .308 equivalent of 300 AAC Whisper because that .308 load will not even match the ballistics of the 300 AAC Blackout at 100 yards and beyond.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have not mounted my scope yet. I don't want to get off subject, but I'm afraid MD is moving so fast with the gun laws that I may not get a chance to acquire a suppressor for my rifle. Any thoughts as to which would be the quietest for this 308? I have seen some great videos and was thoroughly impressed with the brand SAS when I was shooting at the range 2 tables down from from a guy using an SAS on his 308. I want to get a few suppressors in the pipeline so when Brown or Gansler go apeshit and outlaw everything, I will have what I wanted. I was also concerned with whether or not I could get 1000 yards out of a 308 with a suppressor and shooting subsonic ammo.
    No scope even with a 20 MOA offset rail will have enough adjustment for subsonic .308 past about 400 yards (guesstimate). And at 400 yards you should be able to see the bullet in the air visually.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    OP, this thread has been confusing with all the back and forth, but I think you have gotten a Remington 5R and the Vortex with 50mm objective. I think you will be ok with low rings and the 20MOA base. I recommend Badger or Seekins rings. I am running Badger low 30mm rings with a Nightforce F1 (50mm obj.) on a 20MOA base. I have a GAP with a GAP #7 contour...I believe you will have more taper on the 5R, thus more room to play with. This puts me very low to the top of the barrel, but not too low. I did have to sand a little off my Butler Creek objective cover, but no big deal. Getting as low to center of bore as possible is a good thing. If you still feel uncomfortable, use this calculator to double check.

http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    just ordered the Seekins matched pair 6screw, 4 screw set up to go on my Seekins 20 MOA base. $139 with free ship was the best price I could find.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Would check with member E.Shell. He teaches shooting at these kind of ranges professionally. Is also an IP here, Central Virginia Tactical.

I took his three day LR class and can't possibly recommend him any higher. The man is the Yoda of long range shooting. He is professional, patient, and a complete gentleman.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    Been a while, but IT LIVES!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics