• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Want to trim down the factory 30 in barrel on my 870 but want to be legal. Its a vent rib so I have that to work around as well.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The barrel limit is 18", but the entire firearm must maintain an overall length of...I can't remember. As long as you're within those two dimensions, you're good to go.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Recommend you measure from the front of the receiver and do not cut closer than 18.5 inches. Overall length must be no less than 26 inches.

These measurements don't actually mean Jack Shit, but they make politicians and gun-shy weenies feel safer.
    :rolleyes:

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thats what i thaught. Have a rib spacer at 18 and was planing to leave the extra 1/2. Its a full choke barrel will the choke be fully removed?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Why don't you just buy the shorter Remmington barrel? No cutting, No Fuss-No Muss.

Save the 30" for hunting, trap, skeet or even SC.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    Already have a 28 in barrel w/rem chokes for recreation. Have a class a machinest w/ his own shop for a cusin. Now that is econical. Besides the M/11 is for skeet.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    You will lose the choke entirely. Short smooth bore barrels are relatively cheap (around $100+/-). You will maintain a choke and have a 100% legal no worries, no bare metal, fully finished with sight bead barrel.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    You could also sell the 30" Bbl and simply buy a slug bbl. That'll give you some choke (IC) and sights. With all the 870 owners here, I would think that selling that 30" bbl would be easy. It should be worth $150-175. Slug bbls and police bbls (bead, no sights) are a dime a dozen, so you should come out ahead on that sort of deal.

If you cut your bbl, be aware that you will render it worthless for any future resale. If you cut your bbl you may not get the exact length you are looking for because you need to make the cut through the center of a rib post. Some concerns should be how to cut it without popping the rib loose. If it does come loose you will have to silver solder it and then refinish the bbl or put up with a touch up cold blue. All in all, it's not worth cutting that bbl, especially due to the fact that there are so many 870 bbls out there.

Think about this before breaking out that hack saw.

mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    The whole gun needs refineshed and new furiture. I got second hand for 100 bucks and baught an all purpose barrel. Im after function not form. You use a lathe to cut barrels not a hack saw. This aint no pork chop opperation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom