• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Been wanting to try the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge and maybe get into some longer range shooting. Went up to Hendershots today to see what they had in stock and came away with a rifle made by the Remington Custom Shop in Sturgis SD.
    Rifle has a McMillan stock, upgraded Jewell trigger, fluted barrel, Cerakoted metal, stock has been pillar and glass beded.
    Should be fun to work up some loads for it and see what it will do.

Attachments

• IMG_8783.jpg
      IMG_8783.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 1,160
    • IMG_8789.jpg
      IMG_8789.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 666
    • IMG_8786.jpg
      IMG_8786.jpg
      86.1 KB · Views: 560
    • IMG_8784.jpg
      IMG_8784.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 578
    Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    very nice! the box-stock sendero i used to have in 22-250 was a real tackdriver. i'm going to pick up my remmy custom shop 6.5 creed north american today as well, sure hope it shoots! will be my whitetail and light duty hunting rifle.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    very nice! the box-stock sendero i used to have in 22-250 was a real tackdriver. i'm going to pick up my remmy custom shop 6.5 creed north american today as well, sure hope it shoots! will be my whitetail and light duty hunting rifle.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing yours, the factory test target with this one is a small 100 yd cloverleaf so I have high hopes for it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks for the comments. Got it out to the range this morning and got it sighted in. Very comfortable to shoot and the Jewell trigger is great. Easiest rifle I've ever had to get shooting tight groups right out of the box.
    A 5 shot and a couple 3 shot 100 yard groups, with some load development it should be a 1 hole rifle if I do my part.

Attachments

• IMG_8811.jpg
      IMG_8811.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 432
    • IMG_8813.jpg
      IMG_8813.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 428
    • IMG_8815.jpg
      IMG_8815.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 430

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How is the Jewell trigger? I may be upgrading my 700s at some point. My Sendero I got from another member here had a trigger pull easily over 6 pounds. I had my smith adjust the trigger to 3 pounds and added a PWS brake. After the first 60 rounds, the groups dropped to under an inch with Remington Core Lokt ammunition.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    How is the Jewell trigger? I may be upgrading my 700s at some point. My Sendero I got from another member here had a trigger pull easily over 6 pounds. I had my smith adjust the trigger to 3 pounds and added a PWS brake. After the first 60 rounds, the groups dropped to under an inch with Remington Core Lokt ammunition.

Jim, trigger is fantastic, I have not weighed it but seems to be 6 to 8 oz very crisp and little to no overtravel.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    I have a question about how the shot group is measured. And I'm a noob so I honestly don't know the stadard practice for measuring. You went from outside edge to outside edge of the holes. This method would lead to larger groups with larger calibers which make larger holes (all else being equal.) If you measured from leading edge to trailing edge (inside edge to outside edge) you would have a center to center measurement that would be comparable between different caliber guns. You would be measuring the actual distance one bullet hit the paper from another.. It just seems to me to be the better way to do it. But if outside edge to outside edge is the standard way it's done, then that is the way to go I guess.

Great grouping btw and congrats on the rifle.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I have a question about how the shot group is measured. And I'm a noob so I honestly don't know the stadard practice for measuring. You went from outside edge to outside edge of the holes. This method would lead to larger groups with larger calibers which make larger holes (all else being equal.) If you measured from leading edge to trailing edge (inside edge to outside edge) you would have a center to center measurement that would be comparable between different caliber guns. You would be measuring the actual distance one bullet hit the paper from another.. It just seems to me to be the better way to do it. But if outside edge to outside edge is the standard way it's done, then that is the way to go I guess.

Great grouping btw and congrats on the rifle.

Thank you, I find it easier to measure the outside edges furthest apart and then subtract bullet diameter, in this case .264, it allows me to judge the largest spread of the group.
    I'm actually not sure what the correct way to do it is, I know a lot of shooters use a group measuring app.

Amigo109

Jan 25, 2018
    Columbia MD
    Thank you, I find it easier to measure the outside edges furthest apart and then subtract bullet diameter, in this case .264, it allows me to judge the largest spread of the group.
    I'm actually not sure what the correct way to do it is, I know a lot of shooters use a group measuring app.

Yeah, I didn't think it through (end of the day and i'm tired lol.) Since the leading edge might just be empty space, you do need to measure outside edge to outside edge and then subtract bullet diameter. I didn't realize you were subtracting the bullet diameter. It makes better sense your way.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yeah, I didn't think it through (end of the day and i'm tired lol.) Since the leading edge might just be empty space, you do need to measure outside edge to outside edge and then subtract bullet diameter. I didn't realize you were subtracting the bullet diameter. It makes better sense your way.

Yea, I kind of left a lot out of my post like actual group size, on the last 3 shot group if you subtract the .264 it comes out to a .224 group.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks again guys.
    Got it back out to the range this morning and this rifle continues to amaze me. I had 4 rounds left from Friday so I shot them at one of the 3 shot targets from Friday just to use up the ammo and to check cold bore accuracy, basically put all 4 through the same original hole,7 shot group .328, load is Hornady 140 ELD Match, 40.8 grains H4350, CCI200, new Hornady case, OAL 2.810.

Attachments

• IMG_8820.jpg
      IMG_8820.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads