• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 36chambers

Mar 13, 2012
    So I am debating on getting both my AR & Sig P556 SWAT dipped/plated in NiB-X....the benefits of smoother operation, easier maintenance and cleanup, paired with a longer life of the components....any minuses to it? (Opinion from gunsmith appreciated!)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    wouldn't coating the make the gun tolerances even tighter. I have hear of NiB on the outside and on bolts such but a fully coated rifle would cause the tolerances to tighten up and the gun also.

36chambers

Mar 13, 2012
    I think it might, but also what I gather from the process is that there is a "removal" of surface that is then replaced with the NiB-x, if it is performed correctly.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Just get your BCG and FCG coated.

Nickel darkens with time and is more slippery than a quad of sorority pledges playing twister in a kiddie pool of Crisco. :D

36chambers

Mar 13, 2012
    Thanks sails. Since this is for function & utility only, coating the innards would keep things simple. Only other thought I had was around if the outside was too slippery, then to cerakote the exterior. I happened across an outfit based out of WI on gunbroker that will do the whole thing for around $200, but it is not WMD. Would love to find someone local in MD or VA to do the job.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    make sure it's not electroless plating that they're just calling "nickel boron" in order to drum up sales.

EP will wear off faster than chrome plating on a bcg.

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've got a NibX question that I've yet to see answered.

Is it a chemical safe coating? Regular nickel handgun finishes will be destroyed if soaked in copper cleaner (Hoppes, etc). Would getting NibX essentially be the same as an old time nickel coat in this regard?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For nickel boron BCG and FCG. For Cerakote Bollinger Gunsmithing in Taneytown MD is the only FFL in MD certified and up and running for Cerakote.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I use Hoppes on my NiB items and I have not noticed anything. NiB is an alloy so while it will have the many of the properties of its two component minerals it can be different in its chemical reactions because the way the atoms are combined.

chupacabra

Dec 21, 2012
    nibx

i have nickel boron treated bolt carriers and bolts and cam pins. Seem really slick especially treated with fireclean. I like it so far but have no idea on what durability will be like.

Anyone know the difference between melonite and nickel boron?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom