• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    She'll be fine if she gets good with it.

She'll get good with it if she uses it.

She'll use it if she likes it.

With all of the above, she'll benefit most from increasing exposure and proper training. Those are the things you want to key on for her.

You take care of these things, and the rest will take care of itself.
    Bingo! :beer:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I kind of want her to hear some of the boom because if she ever has to defend herself nobody is going to give her a moment to put her ears in. I will try ear plugs instead of the headphone type

She won't hear the shot that saves her life anyway, whether it's a .22 or a .44. She will hear, feel, and learn to flinch from all the training shots leading up to it.

I'd post a thread asking for outdoor shooting help for your wife near Upper Marlboro. This forum is overwhelmingly generous, especially when it comes to new shooters and ladies. Someone will point you to a range...they might even meet you there with some samples to test out.

Doubling up on the ears indoors helps with the noise, but that's only part of the equation. I don't know of any way to mitigate the felt concussion and blast other than getting out of a the closed box to shoot. I don't like shooting inside either.:sad20:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A .22 loaded with hollow-points, while not ideal, would offer some self-defense capability.

A 40 gr fmj CCI penetrates better and tumbles on impact. The would channel is longer and larger in places than a 36 gr CCI HP.

The latter tends to stop very quickly and doesn't seem to be able to go deep enough to cause much damage.

Check out tnoutdoors9 channel. If I was limited to .22s, I'd choose the 40gr solid CCI.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Here's one that might be relevant to your situation. Shot from a Ruger SR22.

Not much expansion from a handgun, but tumbling more than made up for it. tnoutdoors9 pretty much recommends 40gr solid from a handgun if you have to use it for SD.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Why is this even a thread? Seriously? Let the woman shoots what she wants to....sheesh

shady dan. Sometimes you want your loved one's to have sufficient amount of fire power in case she needs to defend herself no?

It's not a dictatorship type of scenario.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Here's one that might be relevant to your situation. Shot from a Ruger SR22.

Not much expansion from a handgun, but tumbling more than made up for it. tnoutdoors9 pretty much recommends 40gr solid from a handgun if you have to use it for SD.

Perfect, that's the firearm she shot and wants too.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Perfect, that's the firearm she shot and wants too.
    Get her one... it's a great choice for a new shooter. She likes it, she will enjoy shooting it and that is most of the battle. If she yearns for more firepower one day, then get off a paycheck or two and get her more! :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    shady dan. Sometimes you want your loved one's to have sufficient amount of fire power in case she needs to defend herself no?

Yes, but... you need to realize what she is and may not be comfortable with, regardless. This is very important for a new shooter still learning.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

A 22 she can shoot comfortably is better than waiting for the police.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    It's all appreciated, ive learned a lot and people have been very good to me regarding my rifle issues.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    She'll be fine if she gets good with it.

She'll get good with it if she uses it.

She'll use it if she likes it.

With all of the above, she'll benefit most from increasing exposure and proper training. Those are the things you want to key on for her.

You take care of these things, and the rest will take care of itself.

^^^^^ This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Don't think of it as choosing .22 over a 9mms at this point. Think of it as choosing a .22 over nothing.

The more comfortable she gets, the more likely she'll want to build up on her own at some point. Besides, everyone needs a .22 :D

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Don't think of it as choosing .22 over a 9mms at this point. Think of it as choosing a .22 over nothing.

The more comfortable she gets, the more likely she'll want to build up on her own at some point. Besides, everyone needs a .22 :D
    This. Be glad she wants to shoot, and encourage her by letting her shoot what she wants. If she wants to trade up, fine, but don't you be the one to bring it up. She might feel like you're pressuring her.

Also, don't worry about the 22 not being the best defense round. Ask anybody who says you gotta have at least such and such caliber if they would willingly take a couple of 22s.

Rob.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom