• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Same question with a different spin. In Maryland you have the right way they want you to transport your gun to and from a range. So you go shooting. After shooting you then unload and have your gun back into it's secure holster/case. And if you want you can go as far as the out of reach thing and or in the different compartment like the trunk of your car.

Can you stop on the way home with the friend you went shooting with and have dinner and one beer? Or do you have to go straight home from the range and do not pass GO?

Go home. Go home directly. Otherwise, you are just opening yourself up to a question of fact for a jury to decide as well as the prosecutor's discretion. If he has a bad day, you go to trial. Face it guys, when you are transporting a handgun or even a firearm of any kind in MD, a different set of rules apply and what you normally do, you can't do. MD is not AZ or WY.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This. And you are still transporting a handgun, even if it is in a lockbox in the trunk. In VA, the CCW law is quite clear. You can't even go into a bar that is primarily devoted to serving booze. You can go into a restaurant to eat (even if also serves booze, eg., Ruby Tuesdays), but you can't take a single drink and you can't sit in the bar section. So, would that social drink be worth it? Not to me. YMMV.

Point of clarification if you don't mind Esq.

There are NO bars in VA. Only restaurants that serve alcohol.

The folks over in the VA forum of OCDO point this out frequently

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Point of clarification if you don't mind Esq.

There are NO bars in VA. Only restaurants that serve alcohol.

The folks over in the VA forum of OCDO point this out frequently

You know, I didn't know that there are *no* bars. Interesting. I don't drink much, and never drink and drive or ride with someone who has been drinking. (Saw a friend die that way in college -- it was extraordinarily gruesome -- seared into my memory forever). I had understood the rule over there in VA is you can't sit in the bar section of the restraurant and absolutely no drinking and carry whatsoever, no matter where you are.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Did you know you can drink if you are OC'ing? You can CC but no imbibing.

weird but that's the law.

Before the law as changed recently if you were CC'ing and went into a restaurant that served alcohol, you had to expose your firearm. It was refereed to as "the Virginia tuck"

Now you don't have to tuck but no drinking if you are cc'ing.

Mr H

Banana'd
    You know, I didn't know that there are *no* bars. Interesting. I don't drink much, and never drink and drive or ride with someone who has been drinking. (Saw a friend die that way in college -- it was extraordinarily gruesome -- seared into my memory forever). I had understood the rule over there in VA is you can't sit in the bar section of the restraurant and absolutely no drinking and carry whatsoever, no matter where you are.

I'll need to double-check this, but IIRC, the law was modified recently, so that CC in that circumstance is OK, provided you are not actually drinking.

But, that's in VA, and I'm not.

:D

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    my interview:
    trooper as very polite and friendly
    asked to verify my info
    asked if i was ever arrested/charged/convicted of a crime
    asked why i wanted a permit
    when i replied "Personal Protection and all lawful purposes" the trooper volunteered that i should include more reasons than that as they could help my chances.
    asked if i lived alone
    asked if i was married or single
    asked what gun i would carry and if i already owned it
    asked how gun would be stored
    asked if i know the gun laws
    asked to state the gun laws, which i took to mean transport and carrying of firearms
    trooper seemed happy with my explanation of the separation of guns and ammunition from the driver. Trooper stated they want firearms out of the reach of drivers.

one interesting note, it seems that Maryland is concerned with people being armed while driving, even if they have a CCW

asked if i drank and how much
    asked if i use controlled substances

thats pretty much it. I was told there have been no changes to how MSP processes these apps (sounded like they are still using G&S).

I had interview in GB this morning. Similar questions, very polite trooper.
    I brought copies of current CCW permits from other states and additional training received. Trooper said that it helps and will include in the file. Trooper commented that some apps have little or no training. Trooper was swamped with investigations of apps with at least 40 to do.

The one question that I had trouble with and was taken aback was ex wife information. I am currently married, but I am divorced.
    Question: When was the last time I had contact with ex wife and what is her contact info? I told the trooper that I have had no contact with her in 12 years and that I have no contact information.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Go home. Go home directly. Otherwise, you are just opening yourself up to a question of fact for a jury to decide as well as the prosecutor's discretion. If he has a bad day, you go to trial. Face it guys, when you are transporting a handgun or even a firearm of any kind in MD, a different set of rules apply and what you normally do, you can't do. MD is not AZ or WY.

Very good advice. But remember we are in maryland and everything is not spelled out because they know it when they see it. Anyway If the training was available, I would like to take training on where all of the legal lines are drawn.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I brought copies of current CCW permits from other states and additional training received. Trooper said that it helps and will include in the file. Trooper commented that some apps have little or no training. Trooper was swamped with investigations of apps with at least 40 to do.

The one question that I had trouble with and was taken aback was ex wife information. I am currently married, but I am divorced.
    Question: When was the last time I had contact with ex wife and what is her contact info? I told the trooper that I have had no contact with her in 12 years and that I have no contact information.

I wonder how the MSP will go about doing out-of-state permit applications. So far, I do not know of one out-of-state application that has received an interview. Oh well, all in God's time.
    "How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees."
    William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd

I'll be seeing her (the Trooper... not your Ex!!) at 2PM. Just added a copy of my Utah cert/app to my packet. Good call.

First I've heard of the "ex" question!! Not that it's a big deal... just interesting.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Sounds to me like they may be identifying [what they believe to be] nuts or fudds who don't take it seriously. Maybe even in addition to service??

But then, we're all guessing to some degree...
    Your right about us guessing, and I'm sure about one thing, we will never know their reasoning behind the way the interviews are being done.

Freedom

Aug 15, 2011
    Almost six weeks after applying, I received a call today to schedule an interview at the licensing division office (as opposed to the barracks) in Pikesville, give my wife's contact information and to confirm references. The woman interviewing me did not identify herself as a trooper, although I did not ask.

I'll take the excellent advice and bring training certificates and out-of-state CCW permits.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...Question: When was the last time I had contact with ex wife and what is her contact info? I told the trooper that I have had no contact with her in 12 years and that I have no contact information.

...First I've heard of the "ex" question!! Not that it's a big deal... just interesting.

Perhaps someone thought of a new fishing hole?

If they start fishing among ex-wives, they should quickly find some real whoppers.

They have almost unlimited discretion to keep fishing until they find whatever they want to find. Let's see if others start fishing in that same hole.

thumbnail.aspx

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'll need to double-check this, but IIRC, the law was modified recently, so that CC in that circumstance is OK, provided you are not actually drinking.

But, that's in VA, and I'm not.

This is from the VSP website setting out state law:

No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.

Didn't see any statutory provision regarding or expressly addressing OC.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is from the VSP website setting out state law:

No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.

Didn't see any statutory provision regarding or expressly addressing OC.

Pretty much as I remembered... Thanks!!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    That's why it's legal

That would follow the logic in the MI State Police update that was mentioned in the teenager with a rifle thread.

Michigan State Police Update - 26OCT2010 said:
    Open carry of firearms

In Michigan, it is legal for a person to carry a firearm in public as long as the person is carrying the firearm with lawful intent and the firearm is not concealed. You will not find a law that states it is legal to openly carry a firearm. It is legal because there is no Michigan law that prohibits it; however, Michigan law limits the premises on which a person may carry a firearm.
    Link to the update that I quoted - http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom