• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    was able to pick up my receiver from my ffl at lunchtime today. got the basic rifle assembled. Waiting on the scope, should be here saturday. I had planned on sending the stock to Sonoran Gunstocks in AZ for some additional work (Kidd rear tang, etc), but I think I will shoot a few rounds thru it first as-is to scratch my itch, then send it off to George in a week or 2.

So far I am really liking it. Feels good and points well. the Kidd trigger set at 2.5 lbs feels amazing.

Sorry, I won't have any pics until prolly next week.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Kidd makes some mighty fine single stage triggers. Can't go wrong with his stuff. Sounds like a great .22 you have there.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Kidd makes some mighty fine single stage triggers. Can't go wrong with his stuff. Sounds like a great .22 you have there.

very impressed with Kidd parts... the bolt in this one makes the stock Ruger bolt in my takedown look crude by comparison. I see an upgrade for the TD bolt in it's future... :)

I need a bipod for this thing but not sure I have any budget left for a decent one. I may look at Walmart, or I also have a gift cert for DSG, will probably head there and see if they have anything.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    OK, had to work out of town fri/sat/sun but found a few mins early in the morning to mount the scope so it looks like a rifle.

I know this is kind of a 'standard' formula for a 10/22, but the biggest difference is this one is mine and I don't have to drool over pics of someone else's...lol. Still needs some work but you will get the basic idea... Yukon extreme stock in gray/black, everything else is from Kidd (2.5# trigger, 18" fluted stainless bull barrel, etc) except for the Leupold 4-12 AO scope.

Still some work to do. My plan is to shoot a few rounds thru it in the next day or 2 to make sure everything functions OK, then pull it back apart and send the stock off for some additional work (milling for the Kidd rear tang, bedding, etc.).

I like the look, hopefully it will end up shooting OK. It's a heavy sucker tho, maybe I should have gone for a lightweight barrel instead of the stainless one, we'll see... I ain't getting any younger.

Attachments

• Ultimate 1.jpg
      Ultimate 1.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 378
    • Ultimate 2.jpg
      Ultimate 2.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 391
    • Ultimate 3.jpg
      Ultimate 3.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 378
    • Ultimate 4.jpg
      Ultimate 4.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 379

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Very nice. Glad you were able to put it together. Now get out there and shoot it!!!

Congrats!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Nice looking rifle. Not to threadjack but what to people think about tactical innovations stuff. I've heard raves about their barrels but not about their receivers, bolts, etc. I've been thinking about their AR-15 style 10/22 receiver. Thoughts.

(So, I threadjacked :D)

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Great looking rifle! I'm working on a very similar build as well. The major difference is that I plan on using a Tactical Solutions X-ring receiver.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Great looking rifle! I'm working on a very similar build as well. The major difference is that I plan on using a Tactical Solutions X-ring receiver.

I know there is nothing original here... but I have nothing else like it so it's original to me... good luck with yours !

Nice looking rifle. Not to threadjack but what to people think about tactical innovations stuff. I've heard raves about their barrels but not about their receivers, bolts, etc. I've been thinking about their AR-15 style 10/22 receiver. Thoughts.

hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will answer... the Kidd stuff is great but all I am comparing to is stock Ruger in my takedown. My uncle put together a tactical 10/22 using an Archangel stock and he loves it and says it is extremely accurate.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    OK finally got to shoot it a little today. to say that I am happy is an understatement. Took some diff 22 ammo with me today, out of 150 rounds or so had one failure to feed... I am going to blame that on the ammo not the rifle. groupings were pretty good for just throwing it together with no other work. Love this scope. Took it back apart and sending the stock to AZ for some bedding work and milling for the Kidd rear tang. Hopefully have it back in a couple weeks.

it shot everything pretty well but the best group seemed to come from some Norma Tac 22 I had. I wanted to try some Eley match, I thought I had some laying around here but either imagined it or used it up. I didn't spend a whole lot of time working on groupings cause my time was severely limited and I knew it was coming back apart anyway.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Nice! I am also building a 10/22 and will be using Kidd components.

Why did you go with the 18" over the 20" barrel? Just curious as I am leaning towards the 20.

Last edited:

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

Went did you do with the 18" over the 20" barrel? Just curious as I am leaning towards the 20.

I went with 18" because I found a used Kidd fluted stainless barrel on ebay and saved about $100 over new... Kidd says 20" is most accurate... I really feel with my (lack of) abilities I will never reach a threshold where I will see a difference... previous owner was selling it after a few rounds due to it being too heavy for him... I can attest to that but for paper punching it doesn't really matter to me.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012

Went did you do with the 18" over the 20" barrel? Just curious as I am leaning towards the 20.

I have a Kidd 16" and 20", my friend has the 18". We both agree that the 20" is slightly more accurate.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I need to start shopping for a bipod for this thing. Is a Harris worth the extra coin over a cheapo? I guess the swivel option is worth having also, just in case... cheapest I've found the S-BRM is about $97 shipped on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom