• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm looking for some advice. I have a Rem700 SPS 308 w/26" varmint barrel and OD Green stock, XMark Pro trigger, and the factory generic "Remington" 4-12x40 scope mounted in weaver style rings and weaver style two piece mounts...just as it came from the factory. I bought it brand new in November of 2009 when my wife was pregnant for our second child(which for some reason makes the rifle sentimental to me). I have shot at most a box and a half of rounds through it (sighting it in and killing one deer with it). It is a safe queen(as 99% of my firearms are) and is in perfect condition. A buddy of mine that I work with has been wanting to purchase it from me but I've been holding off because I really like the rifle and the sentimental aspect of it (you guys are probably thinking "this lil biotch is overly sensitive:lol2:). Anyways, today he calls me and says that he found one at CTD for $659, but he would give me $750 for mine:shocking: He knows what I paid for it, which was less than that. What would you do? I'm sure everyone here will say "Sell that mother!" LOL When I told my wife she said "I don't know why you are sentimental over things you shouldn't be and not over things you should be. We could use the money." I took the wind out of her sails when I replied "Eh, if I sell it, I'm going to replace it with something better or that I like more."
    I've always been a Remington guy, but seeing and hearing as how their QC has went downhill, I'm not so sure I would replace it with another Remington. I always wanted a 308 for the eventual use of target shooting at longer distances and occasionally using it for deer and varmints, so that was the reasoning behind buying the Remington in the first place. I just never seemed to have the extra $ to upgrade the scope, mounts, rings, and trigger though. I've always wanted a Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua, but its out of reach for me $ wise at this time, even if I sell my rifle. I've pondered the Ruger Precision rifle, Savage Hog Hunter, and am open to any suggestions. I may even consider another caliber (260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, etc). I do reload, although I've never reloaded for my 308. What would you guys recommend as a replacement for it if I do sell it?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Keep the rifle. It has sentimental value. It is like the Mosin I bought, just after Little DA turned 1. I probably will not shoot that Mosin. It is Little DA's rifle, for when he gets a bit older.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Keep the rifle. It has sentimental value. It is like the Mosin I bought, just after Little DA turned 1. I probably will not shoot that Mosin. It is Little DA's rifle, for when he gets a bit older.

:thumbsup: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has those feelings.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I sold my 700 PSS last year for $750. I still think about it once in a while. ......the trigger was worked and one of my favorites. It went to a good home.

Ive decided the Winchester Model 70 action is more to my liking. Just got an EW in .308. Mounting the scope this week.

Always fun to take on a new gun project.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IMNSHO, the quality of Remington has gone downhill, since '09.

The Savage 10 FCP SR is less than the $$$ that you'll get for your Remington, and gets REALLY GOOD reviews, but, you will still need rings and a scope, which will definitely put you over that $750.

HogSniper has one in stock (last week). My son is interested in this rifle, but, he's too lazy to drive to PA to get it.

Bottom line........ if YOU are happy with the Remington, by all means, keep it.

IF you're prepared to 'start over', sell the rifle and seriously look at the Savage.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If it holds any sentimental value to you, keep it. You'll just end up missing it in the long run, speaking from my own experiences.

Although, if you do sell it and end up with a rifle that is more comfortable to shoot, and accurately too. Then that'll keep the sellers remorse to a minimum.

**You can always get it re-barreled for something in the 6.5 flavor if you so choose, at that point it's just a barrel swap.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I agree with the others. Apparently your rifle shoots well, hasn't had any issues and has other appeal to you. The bigger caliber gun you want is out of reach. If you bought something else would you be any further ahead with arsenal growth if you scratched this itch and ended up with the same tool you have now?
    I have that series sniper rifle in that caliber and I must say, it does everything right. It groups well with everything I feed it, including military surplus.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Keep it.
    Either tuck it away and give it to your son when he is big enough to take .308 recoil, or do a barrel swap into a caliber you like more and start using it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have two girls, so one or both of them will have to learn to handle the recoil if they decide they want to shoot it :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone. I have two girls, so one or both of them will have to learn to handle the recoil if they decide they want to shoot it :)

If you end up re-barreling it in a .264" selection (6.5CM, .260Rem, etc.), I can tell you the recoil is definitely milder than a .308 - and it shoots a little flatter too.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    My buddy inquired again about buying the green girl...I'm leaning towards selling it. Haven't shot it in a few years, and seeing as he's a Marine in a scout sniper platoon and a good friend, I'm thinking that maybe he needs her more than me. I use to always hate it when people had guns that they never shot and would never sell because "One day I'm gonna do x,y,z with it.", yet they never did. I've become that person and I need to get out of that rut. If I'm not going to use/enjoy it, maybe it's time to bring it out of the darkness and send it where it can be utilized and live a useful life instead of being caged away.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My buddy inquired again about buying the green girl...I'm leaning towards selling it. Haven't shot it in a few years, and seeing as he's a Marine in a scout sniper platoon and a good friend, I'm thinking that maybe he needs her more than me. I use to always hate it when people had guns that they never shot and would never sell because "One day I'm gonna do x,y,z with it.", yet they never did. I've become that person and I need to get out of that rut. If I'm not going to use/enjoy it, maybe it's time to bring it out of the darkness and send it where it can be utilized and live a useful life instead of being caged away.

This is why the ice cream makers have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and pistachio.

There's something for everyone.

Me??????

I've got several rifles and handguns that haven't been shot in years.
    Still............. there's no way I'm selling any of them.
    To replace them, I could NEVER re-buy for what I paid for 'em.

Case in point........... Marlin 1895CB "Cowboy" rifle in .45-70.
    IF I sold it, I could NEVER buy another one (built in 2001) for the $500 I paid for this beautiful rifle.

Another............... Remington 700 BDL in '06.
    It was a "divorce present" to myself. The year was 1986. I bought it new, for $250.00 OTD.
    This rifle was also hand-picked by me.
    I could NEVER replace it for what I paid for it.

But, that's just me. :party29:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I totally understand your point and agree with you in your cases. My 700 is an SPS...nothing special or out of the ordinary. I'll be selling it for more than I paid for it(my buddy knows what I paid, yet still wants it). If it were a 700P or something else that wasn't easily reattainable(like in your case), then I probably wouldn't sell it. But then again, maybe so because like I said, something in muni do has changed and although I usually hate selling guns or regret it later, I feel it's something I need to do. I sold 3 other safe queens today and feel really good about it...no regrets. I hope they find new owners who care for them like I did but use them unlike me. By thinning the herd, it gives me more time to shoot the ones I really want/like/need to shoot while also downsizing variations in ammo.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I haven't shot this gun in a over and year, but I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon, and it's worth more than twice what I paid for it. What it really comes down to is will you miss it when it's gone? Can you do something better with the money?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I haven't shot this gun in a over and year, but I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon, and it's worth more than twice what I paid for it. What it really comes down to is will you miss it when it's gone? Can you do something better with the money?

Nice rifle Russ. There are many things better that I can do with the money...put towards something I've really wanted for a long time, put money towards my lil ones dental work, etc. I won't really miss it because it hides in the safe. I've shot less than a box of ammo through it in the 7 years that its been around, so I never really got acquainted with it anyways. It was one of those impulse buys...had to have it just because. The next one will be bought with a purpose in mind:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom