• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Gunbroker

So after 10/1/13 I want sell my Glock with a 17 rd mag on gunbroker to anyone out of state. Will that still be possible or will it have to be sold w/o a mag?

I'd like to hear the opinions of some lawyers on this one. It seems to me it would be okay as long as you stipulate that you won't sell to residents of Maryland, or other states with comparable restrictions.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Not that MD gives a rats a$$, think of the lost sales taxes by shooters buying standard capacity mags out of state.

More nit wittery from the MD GA.

They're already coming up with all kinds of new ways to tax the ever-loving shit out of us to make up for lost revenue, I'm sure :sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    3. A centerfire rifle will be a banned "copycat" if it meets any one of these three tests:
    (1) Has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds; or
    (2) has an overall length of less than 29 inches; or
    (3) has two of the following attributes: (i) folding stock, (ii) grenade or flare launcher, or (iii) flash suppressor.

Are a folding stock and a collapsible stock treated the same way for purposes of this law?

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    Are a folding stock and a collapsible stock treated the same way for purposes of this law?

A previous version of the bill listed folding stocks and collapsible stocks separately. This leads me to believe they are different items under this bill.

KL1

Feb 6, 2013
    Northern MoCo
    What constitutes possession? The strictest interpretation is that the person in physical control of something is in "possession" of that thing. So does this mean if I'm at the range, I can't let anyone else shoot my banned assault long gun, because in order for them to shoot it, they would have to "possess" it, which would be illegal? Can I leave my assault long gun with a gunsmith for repairs, or would they be illegally "possessing" a banned weapon that they did not legally possess before the ban? Common-sense would indicate the intent was "ownership", but that was not the word used. It seems like the word "possession" is a potential legal minefield.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

The bill contains definitions of "detachable magazine" and "flash suppressor," on page 11, but I see no definition of "folding stock." So you guess is as good as mine.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    A previous version of the bill listed folding stocks and collapsible stocks separately. This leads me to believe they are different items under this bill.

No, the earlier version said "a folding or telescoping stock," for both rifles and shotguns. The words "or telescoping" were stricken.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What constitutes possession? The strictest interpretation is that the person in physical control of something is in "possession" of that thing. So does this mean if I'm at the range, I can't let anyone else shoot my banned assault long gun, because in order for them to shoot it, they would have to "possess" it, which would be illegal? Can I leave my assault long gun with a gunsmith for repairs, or would they be illegally "possessing" a banned weapon that they did not legally possess before the ban? Common-sense would indicate the intent was "ownership", but that was not the word used. It seems like the word "possession" is a potential legal minefield.

I don't know exactly, but certainly "possession" is much broader than ownership. That's why current law has language to allow temporary possession of a handgun by a minor under certain circumstances. (See page 39.) I believe that "possession" is what they had in mind.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    " requires law-abiding citizens, prior to purchasing a handgun to be fingerprinted at state police headquarters, have a background check, take four hours of classroom instruction, pass an undefined test at a gun range, and obtain a gun license, and also a 50$ fee associated with new registration"

Is this EVERY time you buy a gun you have to do this???

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Banned handguns

If I read this correctly, a handgun will be banned if it has a FIXED magazine greater than 10 rounds.

Any examples of a handgun with a fixed magazine that large?

Is a revolver cylinder considered a "fixed" magazine?

Is a box mag that requires a tool to drop (eg- a calif legal release devise that requires a bullet tip or some other small pointed tool to activate) considered a fixed mag?

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    " requires law-abiding citizens, prior to purchasing a handgun to be fingerprinted at state police headquarters, have a background check, take four hours of classroom instruction, pass an undefined test at a gun range, and obtain a gun license, and also a 50$ fee associated with new registration"

As I understand it, no. The "license" will be good for X years (I think 5 but haven't seen the bill). After 5 years, IF you want to buy another hand gun, yes, you have to go through it again. If you buy a second HG in that initial eriod, you will need a new Background check, but not a new license.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This. And is a flash suppressor treated the same as a muzzle brake. If not. ..wow.
    For the final ****ing time:
    1. Flash hiders reduce flash, as is defined right in the bill. Muzzle brakes and comps don't. If you have a combo brake/hider or comp/hider, it's a flash hider under the law. If it's just a brake or comp, it's not. Use your own judgement and common sense.
    2. Collapsing stocks are not the same as folding stocks. The legislative intent was crystal clear.

mweiler48

Feb 7, 2013
    This may be a stupid question, and I'm sorry if so, but is there anyplace where the term "copy" in regards to the now pending "banned" list is defined? For instance, a "Bushmaster semi automatic" would be unnecessary if "AR-15 and all copies regardless of manufacturer" covered, say, an XM-15. The reason I ask is that if you take, for example, Windham's Varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and no flash or comp with a skeletonized stock, you'd actually have zero of the characteristics.

Also, anyone know if a comp is considered the same as a flash suppressor? They do completely different things, the law is written for "directing flash", but a comp isn't for flash.

mweiler48

Feb 7, 2013
    This. And is a flash suppressor treated the same as a muzzle brake. If not. ..wow.

Didn't see this before I posted the same question. On stocks, they specifically crossed out "telescoping", so obviously folding is out but collapsible may be ok.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

No. Once you have the "handgun qualification license," it is good for 10 years. Upon renewal, repetition of the fingerprinting, background check, and training is not required. (SB 281, enrolled bill, page 32.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom