• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    If I travel to a far away range in rural MD, spend 2 days there, what happens if police stops me on my drives between hotel/restaurants and the range?

Also, is lending and borrowing guns allowed? If I borrow a gun from a friend and drive with it to my house or to a range, is that OK? Will police ask you to show legal ownership of the gun?

Aug 24, 2017
    On the MDSP webpage, the to and from range etc. appears to only apply a handgun, but IANAL.

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?
    ​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    On the MDSP webpage, the to and from range etc. appears to only apply a handgun, but IANAL.

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?
    ​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​.

You are confusing MD law with FOPA. Ammo need not be transported separately from a completely unloaded handgun within MD. The only requirement is that there is no ammo in the gun in any way (not simply not chambered, but also not in a magazine that is in the handgun; loaded magazines NOT in a handgun may be transported within MD).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Dog training? people use dogs to hunt.

Yes, it was written in specifically for waterfowl hunting dog training. There is a waterfowl training launcher that uses a handgun with a threaded barrel and blanks to pop a "bird" into the air.

I recall seeing these used by trainers on the Eastern Shore when I was young (just after the last ice age). The dogs learn not to be shy of the sound of a gun and learn to watch for the bird falling after the sound. The trainer would take an already trained dog along with some pups to the beach and pop a "bird" into air to land in the water. The trained dog knew exactly what to do and the pups learned VERY quickly by example. 2 or 3 examples and they'd be on the game.

Something like this, but instead of using nailgun blanks, it screwed onto a real gun: https://dtsystems.com/products/launchers/super-pro-dummy-launchers.html

88106_1.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I travel to a far away range in rural MD, spend 2 days there, what happens if police stops me on my drives between hotel/restaurants and the range?

Also, is lending and borrowing guns allowed? If I borrow a gun from a friend and drive with it to my house or to a range, is that OK? Will police ask you to show legal ownership of the gun?

I’d go with probably no one would make a big deal about it. Mid also personally not do it in case someone did. Defending myself in a legal case would be really expensive even if I was in the right and it was proven out in a court of law.

I believe the law says place of residence. I don’t believe it says you must own that residence. A hotel room is your temporary residence. Still, not something I’d want to test.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Under MD Code § 4-203(b)(5) a Designated Collector may transport all or any part of their collection for public or private exhibition.

So transporting a single handgun (unloaded and cased of course) is fine as long as you are going to exhibit it somewhere. :party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Um, no. The statute refers to a "bona fide" collector, not a Designated Collector. The statute does not define Bona Fide and no case law exists on whether the DC designation makes you bona fide or not. You could assume that it does but that's a large assumption IMO.

Unless you want to be the test case, I would not rely simply on that letter alone to comply with 4-203.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Here is my advice:

1. Don't wear a mask...

2. Don't drive with a beer in 1 hand & a cel phone in the other...

3. Don't throw shit out of your windows...

4. Drive safely & stay within the speed limits...

5. Check you car once a year to make sure that all the lights are working...

6. Put your unloaded pistol or rifle in a range bag or rifle case...

7. Put you empty magazines in your range bag...

8. Put you boxes of ammo in your range bag...

9. Put your range bag & rifle cases in the trunk of your car...

10. Think up a likely story of where you are coming from & where you are going to in case you are asked (PS Gun Ranges aren't open at 2:30 AM)...

11. Try not to have an accident...

12. Be polite if you do get stopped...

13. Life doesn't have to be all that complicated...

14. Policemen aren't out looking for you, they are trying to maintain public safety...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom