• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    What do you mean by your question? The contents of your two posts and the timing of both sure do raise some questions regarding your intentions here...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Colt Competition rifles weren't made by Colt...they were license built in Texas by a licensee named Colt Competition. The company closed its doors once the bottom fell out of the black gun market after the 2016 elections. They did build some fine rifles...I have a CRP-18 and it's an awesome machine.

MIBPreacher

Nov 26, 2013
    For some reason I have not received the replys I just read. (Figured it out not subscribed) I was concerned that my rifle was or will be banned. I read in the upcoming proposed laws about how you cant even transport rifles except to certain facilities or something like in New York. I love my AR but I was just wanting a second opinion on its legal status. I think its a medium not a HBAR

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If you have proof of purchase prior to 10/1/2013, it is ok. Regardless of barrel profile. Although you cannot sell it in MD,if it has a thin barrel. Big question to you, did you buy it "cash and carry"? Or, was there a background check and 7 day wait? That generally means it has a thin/normal profiled barrel.

Transport into other states requires you to investigate those state laws.

Last edited:

MIBPreacher

Nov 26, 2013
    There was a federal background check, but I had to make a deposit and then come back and pay it off when the background check was completed.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Sounds like it was C&C. You'll be fine. That bill ,if it passes, will have added a grandfathered clause to get votes. But, it's the MGA and don't bet on anything.

Feb 28, 2013
    For some reason I have not received the replys I just read. (Figured it out not subscribed) I was concerned that my rifle was or will be banned. I read in the upcoming proposed laws about how you cant even transport rifles except to certain facilities or something like in New York. I love my AR but I was just wanting a second opinion on its legal status. I think its a medium not a HBAR

Same barrel thickness from the barrel nut to the gas block?

It’s good if’n it ain’t necked down.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    Same barrel thickness from the barrel nut to the gas block?

It’s good if’n it ain’t necked down.

I don't think the actual shape of the barrel is relevant.

MSP was given no guidance in the statute as to what defined a "heavy barrel", so for the moment it seems they have defaulted to:

1) is it marked as a heavy barrel

OR

2) is it marketed as a heavy barrel

Yes, this makes utterly no sense. But this is what happens when people who don't understand guns try to ban them.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

MSP was given no guidance in the statute as to what defined a "heavy barrel", so for the moment it seems they have defaulted to:

OR

Yes, this makes utterly no sense. But this is what happens when people who don't understand guns try to ban them.

These are the standards most LGSs use to sell AR15s. And, basically a CYA standard.

Feb 28, 2013

OR

It matters to me, and it oughta to anyone with more than a double digit IQ.

I don’t accept that, and here’s why. This is the same knucklehead outfit that once put out a statement sayin the C308’s were “copies” of HK-91s and were to be considered banned, when Duffy’s for one knew damn good and well they wasn’t copies because they even tried to put an HK bolt in one, so they kept sellin em, since they also once said the “banned” list ain’t legally bindin’.

I think that went down kinda like this.

“Mr Trooper, how do we define an HBAR”?

“You’re askin us? How the hell should WE know? Tell ya what. If’n whoever’s sellin the barrel says it’s a heavy barrel, than it is as far as we’re concerned”.

Really??? :wtf:

Hell, by this kinda idiot logic, somebody could stamp a goddamn pencil barrel and call it an “hbar”. :rolleyes:

EVERY “HBAR” rifle I ever saw had the same barrel profile, “stamped” or not, and that is with the same diameter from the barrel nut to the gas block. I’ll trust a measurement a heluva lot more than what some clueless overpaid politically appointed yinyang in a uniform might have to say because he’s too damn lazy to do a little research, and I’ll glady argue that in court if need be.

Now, if someone CHOOSES to go by them incredibly loose “standards” as a “just in case” or what have ya, that’s fine. I just think them that act like this is the Gospel accordin to John does themselves kind of a disservice.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    EVERY “HBAR” rifle I ever saw had the same barrel profile, “stamped” or not, and that is with the same diameter from the barrel nut to the gas block. I’ll trust a measurement a heluva lot more than what some clueless overpaid politically appointed yinyang in a uniform might have to say because he’s too damn lazy to do a little research, and I’ll glady argue that in court if need be.

That's nice. Just know that there is nothing in the law that has anything to do with actual barrel profile measurements.

Now, if someone CHOOSES to go by them incredibly loose “standards” as a “just in case” or what have ya, that’s fine. I just think them that act like this is the Gospel accordin to John does themselves kind of a disservice.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    I don't know who you think is doing that. I'm acting like this is MSP's way of dealing with a law that tells them something is exempted but fails to actually define what that is.

You can talk all you want about barrel profiles but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom