• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Vote (or not) for whomever you want, but I'm going to be guided by realpolitik

I am reminded of all the conservatives who sat out the 2012 election because Romney was not conservative enough for them and gave us four more years of Obama.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    All the people saying they won't vote for Hogan will have no one to blame but themselves when a Democrat wins and is then in charge if redistricting. You will ensure the further erosion of 2A rights in this state. Without the partisan gerrymandering that goes on now, we could help turn the tide. Tired of hearing about people bitching about Hogan and basically saying they want to take their ball and go home.
    You're never going to have a staunch pro 2A governor in this state, he simply wouldn't get elected. You make the best with what you have and right now that is Hogan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    All the people saying they won't vote for Hogan will have no one to blame but themselves when a Democrat wins and is then in charge if redistricting. You will ensure the further erosion of 2A rights in this state. Without the partisan gerrymandering that goes on now, we could help turn the tide. Tired of hearing about people bitching about Hogan and basically saying they want to take their ball and go home.
    You're never going to have a staunch pro 2A governor in this state, he simply wouldn't get elected. You make the best with what you have and right now that is Hogan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staunch 2a?

I would settle for hogan publicly saying he believes in the constitution and he believes in the 2a.

How bout that? Will he? Can he?

But if he signs anti gun legislation he’s an anti, plain and simple and will never get my vote.

It’s one thing to have a governor work around antis, it’s another for him to help them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've been a Hogan apologist, and understand him doing nothing, and even saying nothing.

But actively doing somthing against us would be a large shark jumping over a line in the sand

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I've been a Hogan apologist, and understand him doing nothing, and even saying nothing.

But actively doing somthing against us would be a large shark jumping over a line in the sand

All the Hogan sycophants and mouth breathers seem to miss this. I accepted he would make no effort to pursue gun rights when I voted for him. My view was that I was voting to preserve the status quo. However I am now looking at the real possibility he's going to sign anti-gun bills but the "Thank you sir may I have another?" crowd just thinks this is nothing to be angry about.

But hey there's always that second term where the real help will come.....just gotta vote.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Why don't you enlighten me?

What you can do is vote for someone who will control redistricting in 2020 and stop the gerrymandering which causes you and others who feel that those whom they testify in front of don't care.

If you aren't willing to do that then you are a part of the problem.

I am also a hard right winger but I am pragmatic enough to know where I live and how to get what I want accomplished instead of throwing a tantrum.

Lol this shtick is so old. You spend half your day going around bitching about "keyboard smashers" while simultaneously demanding to know what other people have done for the cause to internet bully them. You follow that up with your typical BGOS riff while acting like a stooge for a guy that's musing he wants to sign anti-gun bills.

In fairness though, this is probably the best one can expect.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015

I agree but it's still hard to imagine that he'll be worse than any Democrat for the next term.

Seriously, which of them do you think would be better for our interests?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why don't you enlighten me?

What you can do is vote for someone who will control redistricting in 2020 and stop the gerrymandering which causes you and others who feel that those whom they testify in front of don't care.

If you aren't willing to do that then you are a part of the problem.

I am also a hard right winger but I am pragmatic enough to know where I live and how to get what I want accomplished instead of throwing a tantrum.

It's all about the big picture and some people either don't see the big picture or want instant results.

Oh well.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It's all about the big picture and some people either don't see the big picture or want instant results.

Oh well.

Instant results? Isn’t this Hogan’s third session of the MGA? I would hardly say three years waiting for him to at least say he believes in the constitution and the second amendment is hardly asking for instant results.

And if hogan signs the anti gun bills the MGA is wanting to send him does that not make hogan an anti? Working around an anti gun MGA is one thing but helping them by signing any anti gun bill is over the top and makes him an anti, period.

I do hope it doesn’t come to that but since he’s been on tv at least twice saying he will not only sign this dumb shit but he agrees with it. Sounds no different than the beer boys when he talks now. And I had high hopes for him.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Instant results? Isn’t this Hogan’s third session of the MGA? I would hardly say three years waiting for him to at least say he believes in the constitution and the second amendment is hardly asking for instant results.

And if hogan signs the anti gun bills the MGA is wanting to send him does that not make hogan an anti? Working around an anti gun MGA is one thing but helping them by signing any anti gun bill is over the top and makes him an anti, period.

I do hope it doesn’t come to that but since he’s been on tv at least twice saying he will not only sign this dumb shit but he agrees with it. Sounds no different than the beer boys when he talks now. And I had high hopes for him.

Signing anti-gun bills is all part of the grand plan and if you don't understand that then you must have BGOS.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

People fail to understand that Hogan's veto is meaningless. The GA has the numbers to overturn anything Hogan chooses to veto, and you may be sure that they will exercise that power.

Should Hogan veto anti-2A bills, this veto will be trumpeted up and down the state to terrify the Dems who are so far pleased with his performance.

This shouldn't be too subtle for folks here to comprehend.

Only a fool would provide his enemies with ammunition to attack him with, most especially in an election year where emotions are running high.

(I don't mean this as any sort of criticism of the quoted poster. I'm just trying to make a point.)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It's been said before but must be reiterated. Hogan needs to win this years election, period. Without him in office the MGA will never have a fair redistricting. Without that, this state will never see fair and impartial representation.

Do I like his inaction, of course not. Will I support him in this election cycle, you better believe it. The governor's office isn't where the laws will or won't be changed. It's in the MGA. We need to have a more favorable redistricting plan. Without Hogan, you can forget about that ever happening.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly will Hogan enact a favorable redistricting plan?

Because as I've seen over the last 3 years, the MGA makes the decisions for MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's why I understand doing nothing and saying nothing. I can hang with silence , and being treated like we don't exist for larger strategic purposes is rankling , but can be intellectually understood.

( Annnnnnd I'll apply my self restraint at this point until the situation either plays out , or doesn't come to a head .)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    People fail to understand that Hogan's veto is meaningless. The GA has the numbers to overturn anything Hogan chooses to veto, and you may be sure that they will exercise that power.

Should Hogan veto anti-2A bills, this veto will be trumpeted up and down the state to terrify the Dems who are so far pleased with his performance.

This shouldn't be too subtle for folks here to comprehend.

Only a fool would provide his enemies with ammunition to attack him with, most especially in an election year where emotions are running high.

(I don't mean this as any sort of criticism of the quoted poster. I'm just trying to make a point.)

Due to the fact that this is an election year, your statement isn't true. Anything Hogan vetoes at the end of this session, cannot be overturned next session, because some of the lawmakers (and votes for the original bill) will have changed.

It's am interesting quirk of MD law.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

(snip)

Only if they pass the bill with more than 7 days left in the session, if not, and he can veto the bill after the session is over, then the veto will stand per the Maryland State Constitution.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly will Hogan enact a favorable redistricting plan?

Because as I've seen over the last 3 years, the MGA makes the decisions for MD.

As a general rule, the Governor appoint a committee to create the redistricting map, and then submits it to the Legislature for approval. If they do not approve of it, then the legislature may come up with one.

The other piece of the 2018 puzzles, is to flip enough seats in the legislature to uphold a veto as well.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Thanks for the replay dblas

So the MGA would have to approve a redistricting map that would allow the peasants to vote them out of power?

Lets see a show of hands of who thinks this will happen in MD?

I have to agree with 44man, if Hogan signs anti 2A bills, I will not vote for him again.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So *If* the MGA doesn't like the Gov's ReDistricting plan , they just have to vote No , and they get to do it instead ? Not the Gov take another shot at tweaking the Plan ?

What's the required margin ? Simple majority ? Somthing higher to pass ?

Am I missing somthing , or is best case scenario require 51% Repub in MGA to actually change the Districting .

Am I missing somthing , or is a Gov who is significantly outnumbered by the Legislature, totally meaningless in ReDistricting ?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    As a general rule, the Governor appoint a committee to create the redistricting map, and then submits it to the Legislature for approval. If they do not approve of it, then the legislature may come up with one.

The other piece of the 2018 puzzles, is to flip enough seats in the legislature to uphold a veto as well.

So if Hogan’s re-elected the legislature still says yes or no to redistricting ? And since Hogan has no power to stop the legislature from doing anything we are to believe if hogan gets re-elected somehow they will let him redistric unabated to save our children and grandchildren? Um, ok.

Central md needs to elect some republicans. That’s what needs to happen. Apparently placing any hope in Hogan is misguided, flipping the central md reps seems the only chance md had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom