• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am looking into possibly buying my first AR15 style gun sometime in the near future. However, even with MD being restricted to heavy barrel only, there are only about a gazillion options out there. I am looking for a simple, basic, AR. A starter type gun to get my feet wet in this arena. Since I am just getting into this, obviously price will be a major point of concern. I don't want to over-buy, but I also don't want a piece of junk. Can anyone out there recommend a good beginner's AR or some good material to help me make my decision? I see magazines out there but with MD's restrictions, I am guessing that a lot, if not most, of what I see in there is not available to me. Thanks in advance and sorry if this opens up a can of worms.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    HBAR options are a'plenty, and plenty of manufacturers have a model for sale in restricted states.

Colt 6721, Wyndham HBAR - just to name a very few.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Since you're in Cow County (neighbor), stop by Baltimore's Best Pawn (another IP), they'll take care of you!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Take your pick from Colt, Windham, Ruger or Del Ton. Go for mid length. If you want we can meet at my range (Mayberry) and you can try out the AR system to see if you actually like the rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Based upon your stated location, Hog Rock Outtfitters ( IP , located 5 miles from your county border ) has been offering screaming deals on Md legal Armalites .

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When you see a AR advertised from an established manufacturer for about a 599 price tag is that generally with or without iron sights or is that for a plain flat top with a clean barrel? I might look in to getting one instead of the obsolete stuff I mess around with now. I only own one and its a twenty inch target model with a fixed butt stock and heavy barrel. Thinking about 6.8 cal with a fixed butt-stock a shorter barrel and a flat top.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I am looking into possibly buying my first AR15 style gun sometime in the near future. However, even with MD being restricted to heavy barrel only, there are only about a gazillion options out there. I am looking for a simple, basic, AR. A starter type gun to get my feet wet in this arena. Since I am just getting into this, obviously price will be a major point of concern. I don't want to over-buy, but I also don't want a piece of junk. Can anyone out there recommend a good beginner's AR or some good material to help me make my decision? I see magazines out there but with MD's restrictions, I am guessing that a lot, if not most, of what I see in there is not available to me. Thanks in advance and sorry if this opens up a can of worms.

Take sotar class and build your own.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When you see a AR advertised from an established manufacturer for about a 599 price tag is that generally with or without iron sights or is that for a plain flat top with a clean barrel? I might look in to getting one instead of the obsolete stuff I mess around with now. I only own one and its a twenty inch target model with a fixed butt stock and heavy barrel. Thinking about 6.8 cal with a fixed butt-stock a shorter barrel and a flat top.

It is only obsolete if it doesn't go bang.

My two cents is look at a 6.5 Grendel instead. Or .300 BO. 6.8 SPC is a nice short range cartridge, but you've got all of the issues of 6.5 Grendel of needing a specific bolt and magazine to work, but it doesn't work nearly so well out past about 300yds. I think 6.8 SPC might have steel cased ammo, but if not, my 2 cents would be steer clear.

6.5 Grendel has steel cased so you can shoot at about 25 cents a pull when you occasionally want to shoot cheap.

.300 BO doesn't have steel cased right now. But at least it can use .223 bolts and magazines. Reloading for it is also really easy and components really cheap.

Any particular reason for a fixed butt stock? Having an adjustable one is nice, and an M4 buffer tube and most basic stocks weigh about half a pound less than an M-16 style fixed stock.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Based upon your stated location, Hog Rock Outtfitters ( IP , located 5 miles from your county border ) has been offering screaming deals on Md legal Armalites .

I would do what this guy says if I were you.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Take sotar class and build your own.

While a great suggestion, I'd still recommend he buy a completed rifle first - and then take the SOTAR classes.

**Simply because resale value is still better for factory rifles compared to 'mix-masters', in general.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

X2 on this suggestion! I took a few friends to Gary's for the Armalites and they are a smokin deal for a starter AR!

Btw I think Bigfoot meant High Rock Outfitters.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It is only obsolete if it doesn't go bang.

My two cents is look at a 6.5 Grendel instead. Or .300 BO. 6.8 SPC is a nice short range cartridge, but you've got all of the issues of 6.5 Grendel of needing a specific bolt and magazine to work, but it doesn't work nearly so well out past about 300yds. I think 6.8 SPC might have steel cased ammo, but if not, my 2 cents would be steer clear.

6.5 Grendel has steel cased so you can shoot at about 25 cents a pull when you occasionally want to shoot cheap.

.300 BO doesn't have steel cased right now. But at least it can use .223 bolts and magazines. Reloading for it is also really easy and components really cheap.

Any particular reason for a fixed butt stock? Having an adjustable one is nice, and an M4 buffer tube and most basic stocks weigh about half a pound less than an M-16 style fixed stock.

Fixed stock so mud can be slung off it easier and I like the narrow comb and no play. I looked at the jlowe web and there is all kinds of choices on there but I hate to dismantle a new rifle to get rid of the front sight post and the collapsible stock just to have to purchase additional parts.
    I read about the Grendel one time vs. the 6.8 and forgot about that, could be hard choice right there for what I want to do. Just bust some sika way back in some god awful mess.
    Maybe a build would be better but I don't want to have to fit everything for a few weeks of hunting but it seems like a popular pastime and could be fun, just a little more costly collecting everything maybe.
    Plus, everybody gots one! The most important reason right? My DCM Bushmaster doesn't need anything so its not a lot of fun and shoots to good to monkey with so it just sits there and is good medicine for Kragitis or springfieldotomy disease and you need a small group to help yourself feel better.
    I used my kids 308 wyndham rigged liked I described and its good but its a tank with the extra size of the lower but with the fixed stock its a world of difference using a hasty sling. Im pretty picky I guess, just want to have some fun though and have some money to buy other stuff.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps . I had a senior moment between Gary's screen name , and the name of his fine business, and mashed them together .

And indeed , GymRatz has screaming deals on Ruger AR's . But they are somthing like 130miles apart, each way . The OP's listed location is adjacent to High Rock. That gives a strong , if rebutable , nudge to High Rock for a mass produced, more or less fungible product . Likewise , for a MDS'er in SoMd , GymRatz would have the advantage of location, location, location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom