• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you admit to owning a firearm in a random phone survey?

• Yes

Votes: 32 7.8%
    • No

Votes: 377 92.2%

• Total voters

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Nope, who knows how that info will get deseminated. Look at that DNA website getting subpoena'd by the feds.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    We don't do surveys nor do we give out any info over the phone or internet unless we know 100% who we are talking to. Chris

tangent

Feb 28, 2013
    Just to let you in on a "Secret" LE treats every situation as if the suspect is armed until proven otherwise. It one of those safety things, kinda of like double checking to make sure the chamber is clear and the magazine is clear or empty if it is internal when cleaning a firearm.

Should probably be a different thread, has this been discussed? Apparently Baltimore county officers have lost confidence in their pistols and want the taxpayers to shell out 1.4 Million bucks to replace 2,000 of them with Glocks. There were apparently 3 incidents where a firearm discharged somewhere in the process of being removed from the holster. None of these would have happened if there had not been a locked and loaded carterage(sp?) in the chamber. I think one of these was the guy that shot himself in the foot while giving a lecture on firearms safety to a class of HS students. I gave the department PR officer a ear full about that.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/12/11/county-replace-police-guns/

I'm sure the county counsel will now want to sell the 2,000 surplus guns for their coffers. Tax and grab /spend. This is a money grab and needs to be resisted!

Some other things I bitched about were the "No Uncertain Threat" thing. Officers being de-sensitized to shooting at a moms and child in a playground target.

Also, the transfer program of military equipment to police departments. Apparently Baltimore County got 800 M16A1'a - fully automatic machine guns. The rest got AR15's. Gotta crow bar? Police cruiser. Feel safer? I can see a SWAT team member, or Drug enforcement team member, but all of them??? This does not make me feel safe!

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Should probably be a different thread, has this been discussed? Apparently Baltimore county officers have lost confidence in their pistols and want the taxpayers to shell out 1.4 Million bucks to replace 2,000 of them with Glocks. There were apparently 3 incidents where a firearm discharged somewhere in the process of being removed from the holster. None of these would have happened if there had not been a locked and loaded carterage(sp?) in the chamber. I think one of these was the guy that shot himself in the foot while giving a lecture on firearms safety to a class of HS students. I gave the department PR officer a ear full about that.

I'm sure the county counsel will now want to sell the 2,000 surplus guns for their coffers. Tax and grab /spend. This is a money grab and needs to be resisted!

Some other things I bitched about were the "No Uncertain Threat" thing. Officers being de-sensitized to shooting at a moms and child in a playground target.

Also, the transfer program of military equipment to police departments. Apparently Baltimore County got 800 M16A1'a - fully automatic machine guns. The rest got AR15's. Gotta crow bar? Police cruiser. Feel safer? I can see a SWAT team member, or Drug enforcement team member, but all of them??? This does not make me feel safe!

A pistol without a round in the chamber is a boat anchor in a bad situation. I was trained to never carry and unloaded firearm and to this day, I never will. If they have a reliability issue with their weapons, they are right to get them fixed. If it is a training issue, they need to fix that. I suspect this is a reliability issue either with the gun or the gun/holster combination.

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    I voted NO shorty after the poll was posted. Unless I missed one, all of the comments are from no voters, which is not surprising on a gun forum.

What is surprising are the 17 yes votes.
    I'm curious - why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-06-08-32-01.jpg
      Screenshot_2019-02-06-08-32-01.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 159
    Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

I think this exemplifies why the firearm needs to be READY. No time to rack the slide.

Skip to about 6:30

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is a really hard question and I understand the concern to say No because you don't know if the person is really from a research company or if they are casing your home.

That said, I also see the left testing a new narrative that "Gun Ownership is grossly overestimated." This would allow them to create the idea that the NRA isn't representing millions of Americans, but a few angry old Rednecks and in fact, the vast majority of Americans do not own guns. If the data shows this, and the survey is done with a statistically valid method, it really puts you in a difficult place to argue that a statistically valid survey is wrong.

So in that sense, I think that if we don't' speak up and say we are gun owners, we are going to allow the narrative to continue that gun ownership is grossly overestimated.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Days long gone

Once random = anonymous. That hasn’t been true for quite some time.

I’ve been paying some attention so I’m aftaid random phone polls will just simply have to be inaccurate, an outcome I gladly accept.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    double edged sword... if you say NO.. you're giving bad info on demographics and what not. if you say yes, the demographics issue is addressed but to what other agenda. I say. "i can neither confirm nor deny".

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize, so my easy answer to the random phone call poll is no.

But, when asked by just about any else (except my kids' pediatrician), I answer yes, and if pressed, say I own one shotgun, one rifle, and one pistol. My vehicle has an NRA Life decal, MSI license plate holder, and and MDS sticker. I often wear my khaki NRA ranch-hand jacket to work in mild weather, like I did today. I figure we have to strike some balance between fear of becoming a target and normalizing firearm ownership. I think once people see gun owners can be friends, neighbors, and decent human beings, not all lunatics or knuckle-dragging oafs as the MSM portrays, we'll at least help fence-sitters to start to question the narrative. Maybe. Same rational with taking new shooters to the range.

And I see no point in trying to "hide" from the .gov inquiries. All of the government agencies from local sheriff, MSP, DNR, to ATF already know that I have firearms. Now insurance companies....that's a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom