• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Well, I used the phrase "good" stuff, not top of the line or state of the art. Sorry my sliding scale of quality was not up to snuff. It's just affordable hardware for folks just starting out in an expensive hobby.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, I used the phrase "good" stuff, not top of the line or state of the art. Sorry my sliding scale of quality was not up to snuff. It's just affordable hardware for folks just starting out in an expensive hobby.

MFJ is a hot button for some but if you look in their shack you'll likely find one or more pieces of MFJ gear.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    That's funny I have a friend just like that. He really has little to say in the positive yet there's three different MFJ meters stacked in a tower.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Here's something interesting. My ham friend, VK4YS recorded me in a QSO from Korea, using the $20 Behringer xm8500 dynamic mic:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Put in some Vol time at ARRC this weekend. Helped the crew hand wind some coils for some antenna tuners they will use during Summerfest.

Attachments

• Coil1.jpg
      Coil1.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 230
    • Coil2.jpg
      Coil2.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 241

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Those coils are nice! What did you use for the coil separators?

Here's a look at the fun magnetic loop I made for the office. First contact was on 17m, from here in Korea (HL1ZIX) to France (F4WBN). Almost 6,000 miles, short path -- could have been long path, but pretty sure it was short path. The pencil is to help with tuning.

Attachments

• tttt.jpg
      tttt.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 336
    • ttww.jpg
      ttww.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 336

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Those coils are nice! What did you use for the coil separators?

Here's a look at the fun magnetic loop I made for the office. First contact was on 17m, from here in Korea (HL1ZIX) to France (F4WBN). Almost 6,000 miles, short path -- could have been long path, but pretty sure it was short path. The pencil is to help with tuning.

We used aircraft grommet caterpillar... used to line holes through bulkheads and protect wiring on aircraft.

I may pick your brain on loops some day.

Attachments

• Caterpiller.jpg
      Caterpiller.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 266

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    On Amazon Lightning Deals for the next 4 hours $29:

BaoFeng Pofung GT-5TP 8/4/1 Watt Tri-Power Dual Band Two-Way Radio Walkie Talkie with Dual PTT & 2000mAh Battery & Earpiece Headset

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland

Good work on that loop! It's remarkable how effective they are. I own an AlexLoop and have been amazed how effective it's been on 40-10 using QRP.

I'm playing with an end fed wire and 9:1 Unun. I was able to string up 41' of wire and worked Azores on 17m no problem. I just purchased 250' of poly-stealth and want to shop for a drone to deploy it in an inverted L. Combined with a folded counterpoise, I should be able to work effectively on 160 on up.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What websites do you guys regularly use to buy your radios & antennas?

For Transcievers (other than ChiCom HTs) either HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) or Gigaparts seem to have about the same prices depending on what specials they are running. With HRO you can go to either NOVA or DE stores to check them out before you buy. Gigaparts web presence sucks though. DX Engineering is a good outfit also but doesn't seem to have the same variety. They have an excellent customer service reputation though.

Antennas, it depends on what you are looking for HT antenna, wire antenna for HF, massive tower with rotator?

HRO has some of all of these but may not be the best or stock exactly what yo want.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Good work on that loop! It's remarkable how effective they are. I own an AlexLoop and have been amazed how effective it's been on 40-10 using QRP.

I'm playing with an end fed wire and 9:1 Unun. I was able to string up 41' of wire and worked Azores on 17m no problem. I just purchased 250' of poly-stealth and want to shop for a drone to deploy it in an inverted L. Combined with a folded counterpoise, I should be able to work effectively on 160 on up.

Is the end fed the one from the EARC in Hawaii? I am thinking of getting that for my HF rig when I get one. Like to know how yours is working?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Is the end fed the one from the EARC in Hawaii? I am thinking of getting that for my HF rig when I get one. Like to know how yours is working?

:thumbsup:

Yep, it's the EARC from Hawaii. It's more of a portable / emergency Unun because I think it lacks weather proofing. I've been using it with a 41' wire mainly on 20m and 17m on the digital mode FT8 and have worked the Azores and Australia. It's surprisingly good.

However, I had this hair brain idea to buy a drone, a drop mechanism, and get a line over a 125' tree in my back yard. After a few test runs, I was successful yesterday. Today, I pulled 124.5' of poly-stealth 18AWG wire all the way up and connected it to the EARCHI Unun on my shed. I just finished this afternoon. Signals are stronger than both the 41' wire and the G5RV I have hidden in the woods. But, I'm also pickup up more noise on this wire, which is typical for a vertical.

Anyway, I have a Balun Designs 9:1 on order and hope to get that in a few days. It's built better. I want to put a folded counterpoise on the ground side of it and tack that to the side of my shed. I have to experiment with wire lengths.

https://www.balundesigns.com/model-9132-9-1-unun-1-5-54mhz-2kw/

I'm antenna restricted but have been getting by at this residence without being discovered since 2000. I was first licensed in 1988. My current setup is an Elecraft KX3 to a KXPA100 amplifier. And a KX2 with an Alex Loop or a wire for portable ops.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    :thumbsup:

Yep, it's the EARC from Hawaii. It's more of a portable / emergency Unun because I think it lacks weather proofing. I've been using it with a 41' wire mainly on 20m and 17m on the digital mode FT8 and have worked the Azores and Australia. It's surprisingly good.

However, I had this hair brain idea to buy a drone, a drop mechanism, and get a line over a 125' tree in my back yard. After a few test runs, I was successful yesterday. Today, I pulled 124.5' of poly-stealth 18AWG wire all the way up and connected it to the EARCHI Unun on my shed. I just finished this afternoon. Signals are stronger than both the 41' wire and the G5RV I have hidden in the woods. But, I'm also pickup up more noise on this wire, which is typical for a vertical.

Anyway, I have a Balun Designs 9:1 on order and hope to get that in a few days. It's built better. I want to put a folded counterpoise on the ground side of it and tack that to the side of my shed. I have to experiment with wire lengths.

https://www.balundesigns.com/model-9132-9-1-unun-1-5-54mhz-2kw/

I'm antenna restricted but have been getting by at this residence without being discovered since 2000. I was first licensed in 1988. My current setup is an Elecraft KX3 to a KXPA100 amplifier. And a KX2 with an Alex Loop or a wire for portable ops.

Thanks for the response. My plan is to get the kit from EARC; take the UNUN apart and caulk it with silicone inside and out, and run the wire up a tree out front. I'm going to bury a counterpoise underground from the UNUN at the base of the tree. I figure 20' of wire should do. I haven't found any antenna restriction in the HOA documents; but, don't want to push it. This should be pretty invisible.

Now to find a HF rig I can afford:o

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thanks for the response. My plan is to get the kit from EARC; take the UNUN apart and caulk it with silicone inside and out, and run the wire up a tree out front. I'm going to bury a counterpoise underground from the UNUN at the base of the tree. I figure 20' of wire should do. I haven't found any antenna restriction in the HOA documents; but, don't want to push it. This should be pretty invisible.

Now to find a HF rig I can afford:o

Cool! I caution you to not bury that counterpoise. It's equivalent to 1 radial, coupled to ground, and that will actually hurt your performance. If you must bury, go with multiple wires, different lengths, as radials. But if you're not restricted, some 18AWG poly stealth is practically invisible in trees. Also, stick with wire lengths that won't resonate on any of the HF ham bands. One ham calcuated that the following end fed wire lengths work well: 29' 35.5' 41' 58'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom