• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I'd like to see the Ruger American Compact (9mm) on the list. The full size is there but not the compact. I fired a friend's from PA and loved it. I emailed Ruger to ask if they have a process to submit a sample for MD and they replied to say my query was forwarded to someone else but I haven't heard anything back in 2 weeks. Assuming they are a no go and I'll have to get an FFL to acquire one.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Shots-fired-free-license-CC0-1024x684.jpg

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I'd like to see the Ruger American Compact (9mm) on the list. The full size is there but not the compact. I fired a friend's from PA and loved it. I emailed Ruger to ask if they have a process to submit a sample for MD and they replied to say my query was forwarded to someone else but I haven't heard anything back in 2 weeks. Assuming they are a no go and I'll have to get an FFL to acquire one.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

If it is the same Caliber you can just submit a Petition to the MSP to see if they just add it on...( Hit or Miss with the Board.)

If it is not on the Roster you can STILL purchase any pistol and process it thru your FFL, and your FFL will/can send it to the MSP Board.

The POC is still Ms. Jenkins and they won't mess with the Pistol. I have done this.

Ruger might not send a sample out. If you want I can send in a Petition if you would like me too (PM me). I also Posted the Form and Email Address to send it to Ms. Jenkins.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    ETA: I emailed Ms. Jenkins requesting what to do:

Well it looks like the Ruger American Compact did show up on the list, per the last update (Feb 6, 2017), but I last checked before then. So, that's good. The search shows: Ruger American models 8633 (manual safety with 10 round magazine), 8635 (pro (no manual safety) with 17 round magazine. However, the 10 round version of model 8635 is not on the list.

Last edited:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    How does the update work? It looks like the next meeting is 2/16 and the next list update is April. I submitted a petition, but missed the cutoff for the 16th. Does that mean I could have to wait until sometime in June to pick up my pistol if it gets added?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    ETA: I emailed Ms. Jenkins requesting what to do

She was super helpful! Props to her! I'll be submitting a new petition for the 10 round model.

The Board does not consider Clip size when approving/disapproving a firearm - Their mandate has 9 criteria spelled out in COMAR 29.03.03.

The Round # is an - aftermarket issue and the responsibility lies on the Firearm Dealer in Maryland.

When dealing with a non-compliant magazine, the gun store has several options:
    1) sell the firearm without the clip
    2) swap the clip out (if available) with a compliant clip
    3) "pin" all clips on the magazine that are over 10 (I believe this can only be done by someone with a manufacturer's license)

As to the Model #'s listed, the Board is basically re-active and not necessarily pro-active - the petitioner simply asked the Board in that particular Model # - there is nothing to prevent another petitioner to request the additional model # - there is a petition on my website if you care to do so.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The big headache is that once you get to the high-end target pistols, merely providing them with a sample is several thousand dollars out of pocket. Right now, there are four models of Olympic Free Pistol made (Morini CM84E, Hammerli FP-60, Pardini, and Match Guns MG-5). We're talking single-shot .22 pistols here.

One is legal in Maryland.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Man I really wanted this 351PD really bad for some strange reason!! BUT, it's not on the list...........I am surprised!

Edit: Found it on the list!

Last edited:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    The Arex Rex Zero-1S is on there. The compact is not.

I just got an email yesterday from the nice folks at Fime Group - they have sent the Arex Rex Zero 1 Compact paperwork and handgun to the Maryland Handgun Board for inclusion in the next go-round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom