• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a braced Tac-14 as my upstairs HD weapon. It’s not bad to shoot at all, I wouldn’t want to shoot 3” slugs through it but I really don’t want to shoot 3” through any of my shotgun.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I’m merely curious (given you did not specify caliber) why anybody would want to possess or run a shotgun that short. SBS. Pistol. Other. Legal or not.

Yep, you can conceal it easier. Yep, you can “control” it easier...right up until you pull the trigger...

I’m not recoil conscious. I won’t bore folks with my background in that regard. Let it suffice to say, I don’t see the efficacy of a very short shotgun unless it’s 20g or less. Even then, I’m not a fan.

So, the question is imo an academic but not practical one.

Your question. Your thread. Best of luck in your search.

I trained with and carried an SBS 14" 870 for work. MUCH easier to get around in without getting hung up, and for any possibility of needing more range, an M16 was nearby or carried by someone else. That said,

I have a braced Tac-14 as my upstairs HD weapon. It’s not bad to shoot at all, I wouldn’t want to shoot 3” slugs through it but I really don’t want to shoot 3” through any of my shotgun.

The slugs were brutal... Cheek welds hurt after the course of fire, and you felt it in the shoulder for the next few days. So with THAT said

I'd rather have a 29.25" in rifle anyday (think bullpup)

OP, maybe look into a Keltec KSG/KS7 or other bull pup? It'd be friendlier to shoot.That said, the 'firearm' and 'AOW' designation has allure...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wouldn't that fall under making a SBS? If the gun was transferred as a shotgun, that would make it a long gun and in-convertible to a pistol.

Ya know, I always preach, if you have a question about a particular product, please post a link so people know what you are talking about.

But that is no excuse for MY laziness. I should have taken the time and effort to look up the subject matter myself before opening my cake hole.

Hopefully my only mea culpa for the day. :sad20:

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Mossberg makes some pistol grip only guns, but Remington doesn't make very many. So before the Shockwaves came out, guys tended to get Mossbergs and convert them. Mossberg does sell all the parts, too. Now that factory short guns are available, it doesn't make a ton of sense. The parts are not cheap, and you already bought an entire PGO gun, too.

The cost of the extra parts would cover the HQL expense.

But if you insist, here's a link for all the Mossberg parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/the-14-12-gauge-that-doesnt-require-a-tax-stamp/

And hey, they have a complete kit, too.

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/mossberg-500-14-front-end-kit-92514-259-95/

There's a cheaper route that uses your existing parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/introducing-the-shockwave-raptor-lug-for-mossberg-500s/

thanks for this info. i guess i need to have a PGO shotgun first.

wonder if they are working on form 1s during the shutdown

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I trained with and carried an SBS 14" 870 for work. MUCH easier to get around in without getting hung up, and for any possibility of needing more range, an M16 was nearby or carried by someone else. That said,

The slugs were brutal... Cheek welds hurt after the course of fire, and you felt it in the shoulder for the next few days. So with THAT said

OP, maybe look into a Keltec KSG/KS7 or other bull pup? It'd be friendlier to shoot.That said, the 'firearm' and 'AOW' designation has allure...

Slugs out of a regular 870 are brutal. My slug gun is an SBE with a fully rifled Hastings barrel and a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock and in the mag cap. I can shoot 3" slugs out of that gun all day long. An old friend of mine, now deceased, was having a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn with his 870 while we were deer hunting. There was an abandoned fridge at 50 yards on the farm, so he asked me to see if I could hit it with his 870. Threw the gun up to my shoulder, put it on the fridge, pulled the trigger, woke back up, put my fillings back in, shook the cobwebs out of my head, and after a couple minutes I was finally able to focus on the fridge as I massaged my jaw. I hit it right where I was aiming. Thing is, I can only imagine the flinching that my buddy was doing shooting that gun. After that first shot, I certainly did not want to shoot it anymore.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I will say that I think the 20ga version is the sweet spot for these. 12ga is a bit unruly in such a small package, but 20ga is almost pleasant. I'd bet that 12ga is better with the brace.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Mossberg makes some pistol grip only guns, but Remington doesn't make very many. So before the Shockwaves came out, guys tended to get Mossbergs and convert them. Mossberg does sell all the parts, too. Now that factory short guns are available, it doesn't make a ton of sense. The parts are not cheap, and you already bought an entire PGO gun, too.

The cost of the extra parts would cover the HQL expense.

But if you insist, here's a link for all the Mossberg parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/the-14-12-gauge-that-doesnt-require-a-tax-stamp/

And hey, they have a complete kit, too.

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/mossberg-500-14-front-end-kit-92514-259-95/

There's a cheaper route that uses your existing parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/introducing-the-shockwave-raptor-lug-for-mossberg-500s/

Slugs out of a regular 870 are brutal. My slug gun is an SBE with a fully rifled Hastings barrel and a mercury recoil reducer in the buttstock and in the mag cap. I can shoot 3" slugs out of that gun all day long. An old friend of mine, now deceased, was having a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn with his 870 while we were deer hunting. There was an abandoned fridge at 50 yards on the farm, so he asked me to see if I could hit it with his 870. Threw the gun up to my shoulder, put it on the fridge, pulled the trigger, woke back up, put my fillings back in, shook the cobwebs out of my head, and after a couple minutes I was finally able to focus on the fridge as I massaged my jaw. I hit it right where I was aiming. Thing is, I can only imagine the flinching that my buddy was doing shooting that gun. After that first shot, I certainly did not want to shoot it anymore.

i shot a couple hundred buckshot and slugs during a one day class last week through an 870 and experienced zero pain or discomfort from recoil.granted, they were reduced recoil loads designed for 3gun but still. don't know what all the fuss is about. keep the stock of your delt attachement and use the pec to absorb it and you should be fine.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    i shot a couple hundred buckshot and slugs during a one day class last week through an 870 and experienced zero pain or discomfort from recoil.granted, they were reduced recoil loads designed for 3gun but still. don't know what all the fuss is about. keep the stock of your delt attachement and use the pec to absorb it and you should be fine.

What is your height and weight?

Physics has something to do with all this.

Wonder how you would enjoy shooting 100 3" Barnes Expander loads out of the Remington 870? Granted, for all I know you are 6' 2" and 270 pounds.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

I was referring to the birdshead grip guns. All the recoil is going to your hand and forearm.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I was referring to the birdshead grip guns. All the recoil is going to your hand and forearm.

Try a semi auto version before deciding it's too much recoil. My Tac-13 isn't bad to shoot all, including one handed. Watch the various vids out there to see what I mean.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Mine is an 870 with a 14" barrel and have no issues at all. I went the SBS route years ago, but I don't think braces were available or a thing back then.

20200413_140907-8254015.jpg

Has anything changed on this topic since the pistol brace went into effect? Meaning - is it still legal to add a pistol brace to a Tac-13 / Shockwave? Don't want any problems with my friendly neighborhood law enforcement.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom