• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Even libtards will want to buy guns at some point. Now they can be saved from the experience of having protection in the home - at least in Champaign.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Alcohol sales as well , like one thing has anything to do with the other . Just another way to F- with the gun community . SMH

I’ve got plenty of guns, I always need more, but I run out of alcohol a couple of times a week!:lol2: Never thought I’d say I’m glad to be in Maryland :)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I’ve got plenty of guns, I always need more, but I run out of alcohol a couple of times a week!:lol2: Never thought I’d say I’m glad to be in Maryland :)

See , I am thinking Maryland would subscribe to this way of thinking . It is a classless move if Illinois follows thru with it or if they already shut things down .
    This virus is already a income snatcher now the state wants more economic hardships . SMH

You might want to stock up ...:o

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    See , I am thinking Maryland would subscribe to this way of thinking . It is a classless move if Illinois follows thru with it or if they already shut things down .
    This virus is already a income snatcher now the state wants move economic hardships . SMH

You might want to stock up ...:o

Good point.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just to clarify things it's one town in Illinois, and the mayor has not banned the sale of guns, supposedly, allegedly, the order just gives her the power to. Which of course would be a terrible thing to do but it's not the same as the entire State actually shutting down gun sales.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Champaign has two positions of leadership in the town. The city manager (appointed by the council) and the mayor (elected). It's weird. Growing up there, it seemed like the manager was the one who did everything.

The manager is playing a big role in what they've done here, since she prepares the council agendas and advises their action. The mayor has the say about what should happen next. The mayor was given some very specific emergency powers by the council, some that may be exercised without further consent for 28 days. If not rescinded, they will continue for 28 more day cycles until rescinded.

Within these powers is a category of actions set forth that does require approval from the city council. These are ones in Champaign City Municipal Code (12-39), which dates back to 1969. The powers listed have been updated since to reflect what's in the Illinois code. Among those are some pretty hefty powers that everyone is complaining about:

After the declaration of an emergency, the Mayor may in the interest of public safety and
    welfare make any or all of the following orders and provide the following direction:
    (1) Issue such other orders as are imminently necessary for the protection of life and
    property.
    (2) Order a general curfew applicable to such geographical areas of the City or to the City
    as a whole, as the Mayor deems advisable, and applicable during such hours of the day or
    night as the Mayor deems necessary in the interest of public safety and welfare.
    (3) Order the closing of all retail liquor stores, including taverns and private clubs or
    portions thereof wherein the consumption of intoxicating liquor and beer is permitted;
    (4) Order the discontinuance of the sale of alcoholic liquor by any wholesaler or retailer;
    (5) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, or giving away gasoline or other
    liquid flammable or combustible products in any container other than a gasoline tank
    properly affixed to a motor vehicle;
    (6) Order the discontinuance of selling, distributing, dispensing or giving away of
    explosives or explosive agents, firearms or ammunition of any character whatsoever;

(7) Order the control, restriction and regulation within the City by rationing, issuing
    quotas, fixing or freezing prices, allocating the use, sale or distribution of food, fuel,
    clothing and other commodities, materials, goods or services or the necessities of life;
    (8) (a) Order City employees or agents, on behalf of the City, to take possession of any
    real or personal property of any person, or to acquire full title or such lesser interest
    as may be necessary to deal with a disaster or emergency, and to take possession of
    and for a limited time, occupy and use any real estate to accomplish alleviation of
    the disaster, or the effects thereof;
    (b) In the event any real or personal property is utilized by the City, the City shall
    be liable to the owner thereof for the reasonable value of the use or for just
    compensation as the case may be.

(9) Order restrictions on ingress or egress to parts of the City to limit the occupancy of
    any premises;
    (10) To make provision for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing;
    (11) Temporarily suspend, limit, cancel, convene, reschedule, postpone, continue, or
    relocate all meetings of the City Council, and any City committee, commission, board,
    authority, or other City body as deemed appropriate by the Mayor.
    (12) Require closing of business establishments.
    (13) Prohibit the sale or distribution within the City of any products which could be
    employed in a manner which would constitute a danger to public safety.
    (14) Temporarily close any and all streets, alleys, sidewalks, bike paths, public parks or
    public ways.
    (15) Temporarily suspend or modify, for not more than sixty (60) days, any regulation or
    ordinance of the City, including, but not limited to, those regarding health, safety, and
    zoning. This period may be extended upon approval of the City Council.
    (16) Suspend or limit the use of the water resources or other infrastructure.
    (17) Control, restrict, allocate, or regulate the use, sale, production, or distribution of
    food, water, fuel, clothing, and/or other commodities, materials, goods, services and
    resources.
    (18) Suspend or limit burning of any items or property with the City limits and up to two
    (2) miles outside the corporate limits.
    (19) Direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from any stricken or
    threatened areas within the City if the mayor deems this action is necessary for the
    preservation of life, property, or other disaster or emergency mitigation, response or
    recovery and to prescribe routes, modes of transportation and destination in connection with
    an evacuation.
    (21) Approve application for local, state, or federal assistance.
    (22) Establish and control routes of transportation, ingress or egress.
    (23) Control ingress and egress from any designated disaster or emergency area or home,
    building or structures located therein.
    (24) Approve the transfer the direction, personnel, or functions of City departments and
    agencies for the purpose of performing or facilitating emergency or disaster services.
    (25) Accept services, gifts, grants, loans, equipment, supplies, and/or materials whether
    from private, nonprofit, or governmental sources.
    (26) Require the continuation, termination, disconnection, or suspension of natural gas,
    electrical power, water, sewer, communication or other public utilities or infrastructure.
    (27) Close or cancel the use of any municipally owned or operated building or other
    public facility.
    (28) Declare, issue, enforce, modify and terminate orders for quarantine and isolation of
    persons or animals posing a threat to the public, not conflicting with the directions of the
    Health Officer of the community.
    (29) Exercise such powers and functions in light of the exigencies of emergency or
    disaster including the waiving of compliance with any time consuming procedures and
    formalities, including notices, as may be prescribed by law.
    (30) Issue any and all such other orders or undertake such other functions and activities as
    the Mayor reasonably believes is required to protect the health, safety, and welfare of
    persons or property within the City or otherwise preserve the public peace or abate, clean up,
    or mitigate the effects of any emergency or disaster.​

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just to clarify things it's one town in Illinois, and the mayor has not banned the sale of guns, supposedly, allegedly, the order just gives her the power to. Which of course would be a terrible thing to do but it's not the same as the entire State actually shutting down gun sales.

THIS. As much as I disagree with an order such as this, that is NOT what is happening. It gives her the power to do so, and each individual restriction must be approved by the town council.
    Reading is fundamental.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    THIS. As much as I disagree with an order such as this, that is NOT what is happening. It gives her the power to do so, and each individual restriction must be approved by the town council.
    Reading is fundamental.

Reading critically is bad. It decreases outrage and we can't have that....

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Under the "state of emergency" Hogan has the authority to do these things in Maryland; fortunately he has not done so.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

While that IS indeed the case, I'll still say: any elected official who sees their local council or state legislature grant them that power, and who doesn't immediately proclaim not only a refusal to ever use it but a commitment to destroying it, is betraying - at least in spirit, before any action - their oath of office. I'm going to guess she hasn't voiced her awareness that this new power violates the constitution.

MykR0k

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 13, 2020
    The left only wants to be tyrants and they wonder why so many of us have guns!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants!"

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    AND,,,,gives the power to seize personal property. How far can they take that? Socks, check, knives, check, car, check home, check, all personal finances?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    By signing the ordinance, the mayor here is going along with what the council did. However, the council was acting based on what the city manager recommended, since she prepares their agendas and advises them. This all started with the City Manager, who is appointed by the council, and is for all intents and purposes, the one who runs the city. However, this ordinance means it's the mayor's turn. Champaign mayors typically have it easy compared to their counterpart to the east in Urbana, which doesn't have a city manager form of government. Deciding to exercise any power in Champaign City Municipal Code (12-39) is a hard choice, but it will require approval of the council. I included it above in an updated post.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    While that IS indeed the case, I'll still say: any elected official who sees their local council or state legislature grant them that power, and who doesn't immediately proclaim not only a refusal to ever use it but a commitment to destroying it, is betraying - at least in spirit, before any action - their oath of office. I'm going to guess she hasn't voiced her awareness that this new power violates the constitution.

This is my thought :thumbsup:

When states, counties , regions and countries proclaim or sign such orders the first thing is to state the limited request and actions being taken .

Although this is not the most rabid attempt to ban gun & alcohol sales nobody comes forward to ease concerns .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom