• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    A hunting license is a valid exemption to the training requirement (this was always clear to me, although I didn't think too much about other states).

A moment ago an MSP trooper from the firearms unit called to tell me that it is indeed correct that at least 1 round must be fired, and that it's OK to do into a training barrel.

Simunitions, which actually expel a projectile, are.

Computer firearms simulators are NOT acceptable unless an actual projectile is expelled.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So. You now admit that those who are NOT exempt from the training requirement must demonstrate firearm safety by live-firing at least one round as part of their training.

The vast majority of people who contact me about getting their HQL are NOT exempt. For those who ARE exempt, I direct them to apply directly, but if they still want the training I offer, they must take the whole class, including the live-fire portion.

A hunting license is a valid exemption to the training requirement (this was always clear to me, although I didn't think too much about other states).

A moment ago an MSP trooper from the firearms unit called to tell me that it is indeed correct that at least 1 round must be fired, and that it's OK to do into a training barrel.

Simunitions, which actually expel a projectile, are.

Computer firearms simulators are NOT acceptable unless an actual projectile is expelled.

The point Dan and I are making is that MSP is making stuff up with the live fire. It is not in COMAR that live fire is required to get the HQL, nor is it in FSA2013. I really don't see how hard it is to understand this fact. If something isn't in COMAR or the text of the law, you can tell them to pound sand.

Don't refer to and use MSP as a cite for attempting to prove its in the law, when they are notorious for making thing up, specifically the banned firearm list. But just to cover their asses, they have a disclaimer on it that says the list has no force of law and your FFL will know what is and isn't legal. But they have classified numerous rifles as banned, when they shouldn't be, but then banned rifles that were legal before on a 4473. So the problem then becomes how you proved that you legally purchased the rifle, considering that banned list changes more often than the ships going in and out of the port of Baltimore.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    I will not risk the loss of my MSP Qualified Firearms Instructor License by refusing to abide by their guidance, and I believe that none of the MSP Qualified Firearms Instructors that I know agree with me.

This is not just an income opportunity for those of us who teach firearms safety. We believe that we are teaching at least the basic competencies to those who desire to purchase a firearm. Those competencies include knowing the basic safety rules, the MD State laws regarding firearms, and by observing how those students handle themselves and the firearms we provide during the live-fire exercises.

If I saw one of my students demonstrating carelessness, unsafe actions or poor attitudes during the live-fire portion of the class, I would not certify them.

As a Chief Range Safety Officer I see too many examples of people who have little or no regard for the knowledge, skills and attitude required for the safe and effective use of firearms.

As an instructor I use my best efforts to make certain I am certifying a student that will become, with practice, a dependable and safe firearm user.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I will not risk the loss of my MSP Qualified Firearms Instructor License by refusing to abide by their guidance, and I believe that none of the MSP Qualified Firearms Instructors that I know agree with me.

This is not just an income opportunity for those of us who teach firearms safety. We believe that we are teaching at least the basic competencies to those who desire to purchase a firearm. Those competencies include knowing the basic safety rules, the MD State laws regarding firearms, and by observing how those students handle themselves and the firearms we provide during the live-fire exercises.

If I saw one of my students demonstrating carelessness, unsafe actions or poor attitudes during the live-fire portion of the class, I would not certify them.

As a Chief Range Safety Officer I see too many examples of people who have little or no regard for the knowledge, skills and attitude required for the safe and effective use of firearms.

As an instructor I use my best efforts to make certain I am certifying a student that will become, with practice, a dependable and safe firearm user.

Agreed 100%. I brought the question up only because I heard about the use of a bullet trap to fire the single round required (which is, of course, ridiculous from a safety standpoint). I too have have been teaching for many years as a sideline, to hopefully get more people interested in shooting and, of course, mainly to shoot safely. My reading of the regs, which are quoted above, indicate that 1 round must be fired; I insist on 25. Unless those who argue that the requirement does not exist are willing to agree to pay for my legal fees in the event of an enforcement action against me, I'll also follow MSP's guidance on this (easy, since I exceed the requirement anyway).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Agreed 100%. I brought the question up only because I heard about the use of a bullet trap to fire the single round required (which is, of course, ridiculous from a safety standpoint). I too have have been teaching for many years as a sideline, to hopefully get more people interested in shooting and, of course, mainly to shoot safely. My reading of the regs, which are quoted above, indicate that 1 round must be fired; I insist on 25. Unless those who argue that the requirement does not exist are willing to agree to pay for my legal fees in the event of an enforcement action against me, I'll also follow MSP's guidance on this (easy, since I exceed the requirement anyway).
    Again I refer you to COMAR and the text of FSA2013. There is nothing in either about a live fire requirement. It was something made up by MSP as another hurdle to get the HQL, because they knew that not many instructors would have ready access to a range for live fire.

I'm not telling you to disobey MSP, I'm telling you to become informed and see what is truly required to get the HQL, not the bull on the MSP website, which carries zero force of law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom