• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have 2 upside down revolver holsters. one from a member here and the other a cobra connected to the car guy. The cobra has a thumb break and the other, a bianchi i think, relies on spring tension and coverage of the trigger guard. Some rely on elastic to hold the gun in place. I use them with mod 36 and first issue colt cobra. Cobra is a bit wider holding 6 but both work. Ken null still makes them out of kydex. Claims the design originated for cia. I don’t like his cause strong side has a belt tie down. I use my holsters occasionally. They are meant to be worn just in front of your arm pit, i suppose for quick access, not under the arm. the thumb break model eliminates the speed intended. It should be noted these holsters are for revolvers only, which i suggest are safer than a striker fired or single action auto cocked snd locked. I do like shoulder holsters but generally, a 5 or 6 shot 36 or small colt is a drop it in the pocket gun for me. A bit of 60s nostolgia. You guys that conceal carry your SAAs or 1851 navies understand.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Cobra holster with cobra revolver.

Attachments

• 30892481-DCC5-40F8-A8D8-A89725CAAA12.jpg
      30892481-DCC5-40F8-A8D8-A89725CAAA12.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 313

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Did it get sweaty?
    I am thinking of getting one to wear under my scrubs. Was looking at a shoulder holster too. I currently carry a P365, P365 XL, or an air weight 38 depending on how I am dressed.

Oh boy, this is going to be long.

Yeah, so that's the thing. I think everyone at one time or another has had/worn an Underarmour heatgear or coldgear, or the faux versions. Imagine one of those but worse. Tight, compression makes your chest hair itch, when you sweat, the padded "holster" part under the arms absorbs some sweat, but the areas of your body where the lycra cannot contour to the natural curves of your body, beads of sweat slide right down the skin. Annoying. Small of the back, under your "moobs" :) You get the idea.

Not sure if you would wear these so often to the point that you'd condition yourself to ignore all those things. It's a fight. Probably if you had it on a 12 hour day, that 1. You'd be so busy that you could ignore it or 2. If you are slouching on a non PT office day and you can scratch yourself when convenient.

Another annoying issue, is the bottom of the shirt will roll up onto itself. You would want to constantly try to keep rolling it down. Until you learn that's the way it will be, and you again, ignore yet another symptom of this thing.
    Imagine trying to place a rubber band around the center of a, I dunno, golfball. It usually rolls one way or the other. Tucking it into your undies does not tame that roll.

It is definitely a special circumstance carry. I never wore it on a regular day.
    I typically wore it internationally when I knew I was heading into non permissive environments, where concealment is key.
    And speaking of concealment, I would use this wearing a dress shirt, no tie. Never wore a tie anyway.The problem is, when you wearing a J.o Bank or Brooks bros. dress shirt, you're not wearing a sheer polyester t shirt underneath. Stands out like a sore thumb. I had another one where I took a cotton t shirt, cut a "crew neck bib" from it, and sewn it on to the top of the shirt that would show when the top couple buttons were unbuttoned.

That brings us to access. This is definitely a discreet draw option. With a button shirt, at least you can rip open or unbutton the shirt and have a normal "Shoulder holster draw".
    With a V neck scrub top there's only 1 way in, down the neck, over to the armpit, and down into that pocket. That holster pocket is pretty deep, and I am sure a P365 will be a complicated reach. It will surely sink to the bottom of that pouch. Unless you sew through it halfway to shorten the depth.
    And I have had scrub tops on, being cotton, they don't stretch, and that's not an easy reach under the bottom, to get to the armpit. You'd basically have to take the top off. That ain't happenin'.

So all of that being said, the 5.11 shirt is the best thing to wear with a scrub top and it's the worst thing.

If it were me, I think there are bicycle type short/undies with spandex type material and a small pistol pocket in them on the hip/appendix area. Requires no belt. I think a 365 would be perfect for scrub pants, especially if the top is long enough to cover all the "bits n pieces" so to speak.

https://www.undertechundercover.com/collections/mens-shorts

Attachments

• undies.jpg
      undies.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 286

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I had a Bianchi 9R many years ago for a SW60 I used to own.

Vintage-Bianchi-9R-Upside-Down-Shoelder-Holster-For.jpg

The selling point was that it could be worn as either a shoulder or belt holster. Neither one was very comfortable for me. The leather "clamshell" added quite a bit of width, and drawing from on the belt felt very awkward to me.

69799d1363426569-upside-down-holster-bianchi-88.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carry a full sized 1911 upside down on my inner thigh pointed right at my junk in a Serpa holster.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Did it get sweaty?
    I am thinking of getting one to wear under my scrubs. Was looking at a shoulder holster too. I currently carry a P365, P365 XL, or an air weight 38 depending on how I am dressed.

I don't wear scrubs, but I've worn a Glock 43 AIWB with gym shorts. The key is cinching them down pretty tight and using Ulti Clips. Something like the Tier 1 Agis might work for you. With the magazine caddy attached, it really spreads the weight across the front of your pants. If that's too much going on up there, just use the gun holster on its own. I had this with my Glock 19, and it was pretty comfortable. That's obviously too much for scrubs, but a tiny little 365 (or maybe even the XL) would be fine. Any holster that can accept Ulti Clips should work fine.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    With a small of the back holster, has anybody busted a cap in their coxis? Blown off a butt cheek? Destroyed their gluteus maximus?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    With a small of the back holster, has anybody busted a cap in their coxis? Blown off a butt cheek? Destroyed their gluteus maximus?
    I'd worry more about crushing my coccyx, spinal injury, or not being able to draw it when the bad guy had me on my back.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The other pictured holster is Not an upside down, it is a diagonal holster .

As mentioned above , the original was the Berns- Martin from back in the '30s . Bianchi and Safariland made variants . The Bianchi used spring around the opening, the Safari used the elastic . The advantages were good concealment even with larger guns, and quick access ( in the context of shoulder holsters .

No , they don't point straight into the armpit ., they are positioned pointing just in front of the shoulder . A revolver in a holster with covered trigger guard is not going to spontaneously discharge .

What does give me pause is that once upon a time when I took a running leap from 3 or 4 ft height onto a sidewalk, I had a 4in K frame pop out from the inertia . But the elastic was kinda weak on it .

A few custom makers offer them , but you are more likely to find a used Bianchi or Safari one .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom