• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Saw lots of smoke today mid-morning/early afternoon in the direction of the airport. Anyone know what it was?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Saw lots of smoke today mid-morning/early afternoon in the direction of the airport. Anyone know what it was?
    Fire was inside the airport grounds. My office window faces that exact spot, I’m right across Dorsey Rd. Fires there every now and again. If I’m not mistaken it’s a Fire Dept training area, usually real thick black smoke. Sometimes there’s even a loud explosion to kick things off. I’ve seen it in that exact spot dozens of times over the years, but it honestly still concerns me when I see it. No sirens heard outside my building = training fire, all good. I think.....

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Fire was inside the airport grounds. My office window faces that exact spot, I’m right across Dorsey Rd. Fires there every now and again. If I’m not mistaken it’s a Fire Dept training area, usually real thick black smoke. Sometimes there’s even a loud explosion to kick things off. I’ve seen it in that exact spot dozens of times over the years, but it honestly still concerns me when I see it. No sirens heard outside my building = training fire, all good. I think.....

you are correct - training burns

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That's gotta be fun to see when coming in for a landing at the airport.
    Definitely. That fire was a little (a lot) bigger than they normally are, real thick black smoke too, no grayish wussy smoke. Diesel fuel perhaps? Nowhere near the runways though, so maybe not visible from the flight paths. More so near the south fence by Dorsey Road across from Cancun Cantina.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's gotta be fun to see when coming in for a landing at the airport.

Not at BWI. I have landed at MSP before with ARFF training in progress. They were smart enough for the cockpit crew to announce it on tbe PA during the pre-descent briefing and by the FA during rol-out.

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    I grew up in the area, they used to say the black smoke was from burning the excess tire rubber off the runways. Do they actually do that?

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      62.6 KB · Views: 193

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads