• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lennyo3034

Feb 28, 2011
    Did anyone else get the email from peacemaker saying they were forced to release member info to the plaintiffs?

I don't know much else but the case was:

Ben and Diane Goldstein v. Peacemaker Properties, LLC and Peacemaker National Training Center, LLC

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Press Release

Attached

Attachments

• PNTC press release 3.17.2017.pdf
      439.9 KB · Views: 745

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Sad, just like the folks that move next to airport and complain about the noise....

Hope Peacemaker wins.

Q

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How loud can a place named "peace maker" be?
    I got the email. I'm not a member but I've shot there. The place is huge, seems odd that anyone would be close enough to be bothered.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Home is about 1km West in Virginia. May be half a mile actually from where rifles are firing it appears.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    while it seems WV doesn't allow noise and related lawsuits against shooting ranges, thinking that doesn't prevent citizens on nearby properties but in different states (the case here, plaintiff lives in VA, range is in WV) from bringing suit. IANAL so my thinking may be incorrect. bottom line is that even if the plaintiffs don't win on the merits of their case, they still can cost the defendant a large amount of money and disruption to their business, and potential alienation of their customers (though i personally could care less if my name, as a member or customer shooting a match, is made public). i will say while shooting there, on at least several occasions i have heard gunfire over the hills, including full auto, that must have been from another public or private range nearby. so the plaintiffs are going to have to somehow make clear to the courts what noises from where are disturbing them.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    while it seems WV doesn't allow noise and related lawsuits against shooting ranges, thinking that doesn't prevent citizens on nearby properties but in different states (the case here, plaintiff lives in VA, range is in WV) from bringing suit. IANAL so my thinking may be incorrect. bottom line is that even if the plaintiffs don't win on the merits of their case, they still can cost the defendant a large amount of money and disruption to their business, and potential alienation of their customers (though i personally could care less if my name, as a member or customer shooting a match, is made public). i will say while shooting there, on at least several occasions i have heard gunfire over the hills, including full auto, that must have been from another public or private range nearby. so the plaintiffs are going to have to somehow make clear to the courts what noises from where are disturbing them.

1. Only Berkeley County and a few other areas have localized laws to protect ranges.

2. There is currently legislation for statewide protection that just left the Senate Judiciary.

3. Who said it was just a name? What about EVERY ounce of information you provided on ANY form to Peacemaker? That includes 4473s, etc. You may not be concerned... which is how rights get trampled because folks only care if they're personally impacted. ;)

4. There's a reason that the lawsuit is taking place in West Virginia, because that is where the civil issue is taking place. PNTC is in WV. The Goldsteins literally live across the state line with their property directly adjacent PNTC. To be tried in Virginia, PNTC where the "nuisance" is taking place would have to be in Virginia as well.

5. The judge hearing the case flat-out ignored that Berk Co. has a law protecting ranges... Among many other snafus that higher courts have had to correct, it wasn't too long ago that he tried to make a bunch of sexual abuse victims pay half of the legal fees of the abuser. The WV Supreme Court of Appeals slapped him down, pointing it was an attempt to cover his incorrect appointment of an ad litem counsel to the defendant that incurred the cost to begin with, never mind the atrocity of trying to make the parents of kids who'd been sexually abused pay to defend the man who victimized their children -- yet this clown keeps getting re-elected.

Sorry if I come across as snippy, but as an effected party *I* (among many others) am NOT okay with all of the personal information I've ever provided to Peacemaker to be disclosed.

It's even more frustrating when I've watched groups of folks turn their backs on others simply because it does not affect them greatly; if at all. It happens too often within the firearms community between the diverse demographics of types of firearms and their various uses. Folks who do so are not only at fault for sitting idly by while rights are stripped; but also standing in the way of restoring rights to what they should be.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm a little confused about the information requested by the plaintiff Doesn't there have to be a nexus between the issue at hand and the information requested

It could be argued that the range itself does not generate any noise and that the individuals using the range are the ones generating the noise so they have a right to know the names of the people generating the noise ie its users.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    It is a Cross State issue and there is State Sovereignty in question regarding the Noise Nuisance Protection Law for WV Ranges, But it seems to be more of a Gun-Grabbers via a different approach by collecting/suing for Private information.

This is where the HPA would be a viable application...

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    It is a Cross State issue and there is State Sovereignty in question regarding the Noise Nuisance Protection Law for WV Ranges, But it seems to be more of a Gun-Grabbers via a different approach by collecting/suing for Private information.

This is where the HPA would be a viable application...

I think its time for a huge jamboree there all day every weekend for a year with 50 cal ringing out four times an hour! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom