What's your most versatile handgun and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Not a favorite handgun thread, the focus is solely on versatility. My least favorite handgun happens to be my most versatile.

The vast majority of my handguns happen to be Glock branded so for me it would have to be the Glock 22 simply because I have the accessories/parts on hand to make these changes. It's my least favorite mostly because I don't typically shoot .40 S&W and because it is a beater Gen 3 LEO trade in. A simple barrel change gives it the capability to shoot .357 Sig with the same magazines I use for .40 S&W. With a slide and magazine change from Tactical Solutions (reviewed here: http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/tactical-solutions-glock-22-lr-conversion-kit-review/ )it can shoot 15 round mags of .22 LR. With a barrel (Lone Wolf 40-9) and magazine change it can shoot 9 mm although some of our in house experts will tell you this is not a good idea long term due to wear and tear on the extractor and/or ejector. In a pinch it works flawlessly and with great accuracy. I am ordering a MechTech upper in 9 mm (reviewed here: http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1715 ) which will convert a G22 lower into a 9 mm carbine when used with my numerous Glock 9 mm magazines. My Glock 31 is equally versatile but it's not a beater and I like it better so I am less likely to use it in a converted form.

Apparently .22 TCM is another option (9 mm case necked down to .22 caliber bullet at 2000 fps from a handgun) but I do not own this conversion: http://armscor.com/firearms/conversion-kits/glock-conversion/

If I stock up on some new accessories and parts it is likely that my Glock 21 and/or my Glock 20 will become my most versatile handgun(s). With up to 12 caliber conversions and the same long gun versatility via a MechTech upper (reviewed here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/jeremy-s/mechtech-c-c-u/ ) you can cover yourself in pretty much any situation. A great article on the possible caliber conversion topic here: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/incredible-11-caliber-conversions-glock-20-video/ but the article leaves out the .50 GI conversion discussed here: http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/combat-test-gi-glock-21-50/

It would appear that the G20/21 platform is even more versatile I just don't happen to own many of the necessary conversion parts/accessories yet.

Ammo shortages that occur from time to time are one of the primary reasons for versatility but other applications like: protection against wildlife, teaching new shooters, lower cost practice ammo, truck gun functionality, etc. add to the possible reasons for a versatile handgun.

What's your most versatile handgun and why?
    f49ca50d0445c47bee9c13fdc0f4f715.jpg
    d192dc06e8b0e0548fa0871ac7bf06b7.jpg
    b40adf251aede29e7cdbcfb5d041f1b7.jpg
    3b3eb2dde7fb738f47856eac4ae9cf1b.jpg
    c67e9de115940428ac86209d2cf70f68.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My 629. First three rounds out of the barrel killed a fox, a groundhog(30yd head shot), and a deer.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I don't own any newish pistols. My go to pistol is the Browning Hi Power. I just fits my hand.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If we go by caliber conversions and accessories, then I'd have to go with my 80% Franken-Glock.

But honestly, when I think versatility - I think of how many different roles I can press a pistol into service for. And in that respect, I lean towards my M&P 45 - it's a carry piece, a nightstand gun, been used in competition, carried in the woods, and it's got more rounds thru it than most of my other guns combined - with only 1 part(s) breakage to report so far, aside from wear items like recoil springs.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    If we go by caliber conversions and accessories, then I'd have to go with my 80% Franken-Glock.

But honestly, when I think versatility - I think of how many different roles I can press a pistol into service for. And in that respect, I lean towards my M&P 45 - it's a carry piece, a nightstand gun, been used in competition, carried in the woods, and it's got more rounds thru it than most of my other guns combined - with only 1 part(s) breakage to report so far, aside from wear items like recoil springs.
    It's your versatility brother, define it the way you want

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Without giving this too much thought I'm going to go with my Glock 20. Slide change it can shoot 10MM, it's setup to run 50GI, and I have the setup to shoot 38 super out of it, but it hasn't been reliable shooting the 38s.

Attachments

• BEC GI 2.jpg
      BEC GI 2.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 432

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's your versatility brother, define it the way you want

I will say the franken-gun is pleasantly surprising me so far, at 1600 rounds in - haven't cleaned it once yet, just add a few drops of oil and let it eat some more.

It's got a LONG ways to go until I trust it like the M&P though, 1600 rounds vs 18/19K rounds. I'm still hunting for a 32 slide assembly, the 31 slide works fine - just not a fan of the extended barrel in it's current config.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Duh . 4in .357 Mag .

My current adjustable sighted on is Security Six , but pretty much any quality medium frame would fill the bill .

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've got to go with the others who are speaking of the Glock family, I just can't figure which one is the more versatile of the 20/21/29 crew. I don't have all the conversions for them but I've got enough to keep me busy.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Beginning to like Sig 320, hated P250 which had similiar concept but trigger was just a pain to get used too if not only handgun. P320 has a decent trigger.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of those three , the G29 . You can use G20 magazines with sleeve when you want a full length grip ( or 15rd capacity ) , but you can't easily shorten a G20 butt . Full power 10mm ammo has power to spare, and even from the short bbl, still has comfortable advantage over "mere mortal " Semiautomatics.

Still lacks the absolute versatility of magnum revolver . Everything from mouse fart wadcutters or CAS gamer loads, through standard and +P
    38 , through mid range .357 , through major brand full power .357 of 110gr to 200gr , and finally Elmer Keith Handloads, or certain boutique loads.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The P250 trigger is fine,* IF * you have a background with DA revolvers . For those only exposed to striker fired semi's , most will dislike .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom