• AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Indicator desiccant isn't necessary since it will be in a bag, but that's not a bad price. No indicator is slightly cheaper, buy humidity cards to check. I tape them inside the cover of ammo cans and to the door of the safe.
    Tyvek bags keep desiccant dust contained.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Was thinking of going with this combination but wanted opinions first. Seemed to be the most cost effective way to do it and once done I'd be set for a long long time.

Desiccant........
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5NTCWW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QSEWB052CHYM&psc=1

And bags to put it in.........
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDF0J0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A91DO1PK2J1DR&psc=1

Desiccant in tubs and cans can absorb so much water that it will overflow the container and ruin whatever is in the safe.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Desiccant in tubs and cans can absorb so much water that it will overflow the container and ruin whatever is in the safe.

Not silica gel.

Calcium chloride (aka DampRid) can, but the container is usually designed to hold the max water generated.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Was thinking of going with this combination but wanted opinions first. Seemed to be the most cost effective way to do it and once done I'd be set for a long long time.

Desiccant........
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5NTCWW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QSEWB052CHYM&psc=1

And bags to put it in.........
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YDF0J0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A91DO1PK2J1DR&psc=1

I use these bags but I find the 4x6 bags hold more dessicant without bulging. I sew the bags shut after filling them. Unlike Tyvex, the bags are more porous, so will leak silica dust.

A cheap source of silica gel is crystal kitty litter. You can get a ginormous bag for not much money.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    +1. This is the way to go. Golden rod just keeps the air slightly warm and does not dehumidify by removing moisture from the air like dessicant.

To clarify, the goldenrod warms the air, which shifts the dew point thereby reducing the relative humidity. Both heat and dessicant work in different modes to achieve the same result. Both can be ineffective due to environmental conditions. It's just as important to know what's going on outside of your safe so you can properly manage what's required inside.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Eva dry doesn't use batteries. Plug it in to recharge aka dry the desiccant. Takes about 24 hours, then put back in safe. The golden rods are another story.

Just don't drop it. I've dropped 2 and they open up pretty easily and the beads go EVERYWHERE!!!

WINNER !

I didn't read about it, just looked like something that needed batteries. You have changed my mind. $16 at Home Depot. No bags, no fuss no muss, and good for approx. 10 years.

Sounds like first order of business is a couple pieces of tape to keep it closed when, not if, it gets dropped

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Eva dry doesn't use batteries. Plug it in to recharge aka dry the desiccant. Takes about 24 hours, then put back in safe. The golden rods are another story.

Just don't drop it. I've dropped 2 and they open up pretty easily and the beads go EVERYWHERE!!!

I have two of these in the safe and once a week I pull them out one at a time and plug it in to dry it out.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    WINNER !

I didn't read about it, just looked like something that needed batteries. You have changed my mind. $16 at Home Depot. No bags, no fuss no muss, and good for approx. 10 years.

Sounds like first order of business is a couple pieces of tape to keep it closed when, not if, it gets dropped

Good idea. I'll be doing that the next time I recharge them. Just need to figure out which tape will hold best.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I guess I am nervous where my guns are concerned. I use a golden rod, two tubs of the desiccant and two eva dry's in each safe. I am in and out of them a LOT so I have never had the tubs over flow but I have had then get fuller than I like and I recharge my eve dry's when they are half way to wet. an over abundance of caution maybe but my stuff has never rusted in my safes. I have had guns rust in cases outside the safe or in the barn or stripping shed or chicken coop but never in the safe.

better to be safe than sorry

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I guess I am nervous where my guns are concerned. I use a golden rod, two tubs of the desiccant and two eva dry's in each safe. I am in and out of them a LOT so I have never had the tubs over flow but I have had then get fuller than I like and I recharge my eve dry's when they are half way to wet. an over abundance of caution maybe but my stuff has never rusted in my safes. I have had guns rust in cases outside the safe or in the barn or stripping shed or chicken coop but never in the safe.

better to be safe than sorry

The problem with too low a humidity is the moisture gets drawn out of wood stocks. It is a balancing game between humidity and damaged stocks. Of course, this assumes you have wooden grips or stocks on any of your guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom