Suggestions on cantilever 30mm scope mount?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Hey all, my 6.8 hunting rifle build is getting put together this coming weekend and I need to decide on a scope mount.

Trying to keep it around $100 or less, the scope is a Vortex Strike eagle 1-6x24. I don't want QD or anything fancy. Just something basic.

Common sense says go Vortex for the mount but I've heard mixed reviews. Thinking about these below but not limited to just those.

-Warne XSKEL mount
    -Primary Arms Deluxe extended mount
    -Aero Precision SPR mount

Suggestions, experiences, opinions are all welcome...Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Check out the aero precision spr mount. Its a solid mount and its light weight.

I had seen that one but read quite a few threads on them breaking, and being a pain to level the scope due to the side mounted screws. I liked the fact that it was like 3oz but don't mind giving up another couple ounces for something tougher since this will be a woods gun.

I'll look back into it though. Do you have any experience with one?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Back in the day, the Burris mount was probably the best value.

The DNZ mounts may be worth a look.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I had seen that one but read quite a few threads on them breaking, and being a pain to level the scope due to the side mounted screws. I liked the fact that it was like 3oz but don't mind giving up another couple ounces for something tougher since this will be a woods gun.

I'll look back into it though. Do you have any experience with one?

I have one on a build i use for varmint/predator hunting. Its been banged around a fair bit and its never been a problem. Had no problem leveling it i just left screws loose enough i could rotate the scope until it was where it needed to be.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The mount you're looking for is the Weaver SPR. Well made. Inexpensive. Reasonably light. Semi-QD with the thumb knobs.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have one on a build i use for varmint/predator hunting. Its been banged around a fair bit and its never been a problem. Had no problem leveling it i just left screws loose enough i could rotate the scope until it was where it needed to be.

A buddy of mine just told me he has 3 of the Aero SPR mounts and has never had an issue. Might go that route.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    A buddy of mine just told me he has 3 of the Aero SPR mounts and has never had an issue. Might go that route.

I have one on a three gun rifle that sees pretty heavy use and I love it. Tomorrow when my new scope gets here I'll have a second one on a SBR three gun rifle. They are my new "go to" mount. I have larue, JP, and ADM mounts. I like the ADM and the JP but the weight of the aero can't be beat.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To me, it all depends on how fat your head is in relation to ocular height. Sight picture should rule out over all else.

Eventually, you stop buying shoes because they look cool. You buy them because they don't make your feet hurt.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I have one on a three gun rifle that sees pretty heavy use and I love it. Tomorrow when my new scope gets here I'll have a second one on a SBR three gun rifle. They are my new "go to" mount. I have larue, JP, and ADM mounts. I like the ADM and the JP but the weight of the aero can't be beat.

Yeah I'm leaning heavily toward the Aero spr now.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    To me, it all depends on how fat your head is in relation to ocular height. Sight picture should rule out over all else.

Eventually, you stop buying shoes because they look cool. You buy them because they don't make your feet hurt.

I'd assume all of these would put the scope at the same height. I'll have to look into that.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I use the Burris P.E.P.R. on all of mine. The mount actually comes with the railed top pieces or the smooth top pieces. You get them both, so you can decide what you want the top of your rings to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom