• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    CA2 affirms the district court and sustains the NY good cause carry statute. This does not bode well for us in Woollard. And that puts it mildly

Attachments

• opinion.ca2.pdf
      109.5 KB · Views: 515

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    This was not the good news I was waiting to hear. Will this decision have any bearing in the way the judges in the CA4 will look at Woollard?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Time for the Supreme Court to decide this "in the Home" question once and for all....

Pg 15/49
    Defendants counter that the proper cause requirement
    8 does not burden conduct protected by the Second Amendment.
    9 They share the district court’s view that the Supreme
    10 Court’s pronouncement in Heller limits the right to bear
    11 arms for self-defense to the home.

12 Heller provides no categorical answer to this case.
    13 And in many ways, it raises more questions than it answers.

14 In Heller, the Supreme Court concluded that the Second
    15 Amendment codifies a pre-existing “individual right to
    16 possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.” 554
    17 U.S. at 592. Given that interpretation, the Court struck
    18 down the District of Columbia’s prohibition on the
    19 possession of usable firearms in the home because the law
    20 banned “the quintessential self-defense weapon” in the place
    21 Americans hold most dear—the home. Id. at 628-29.

They give Heller a fair reading, recognizing its limitations:
    Pg 17/49
    14 What we know from these decisions is that Second
    15 Amendment guarantees are at their zenith within the home.
    16 Heller, 554 U.S. at 628-29. What we do not know is the
    17 scope of that right beyond the home and the standards for
    18 determining when and how the right can be regulated by a
    19 government. This vast “terra incognita” has troubled courts
    20 since Heller was decided.
    United States v. Masciandaro, 638
    21 F.3d 458, 475 (4th Cir. 2011) (Wilkinson, J., for the
    22 Court).

Although we have two courts in this one upholding the Statute at question, I'd say the language in this one is begging for an answer from One First. Although we would rather take a winning case up, I don't see why this one wouldn't stand a decent chance of a successful Cert Petition by itself, no split and with an 0-2 record. It may be our only "shot" for this term.

Peterson (CA10), Sheppard/Moore (CA7) and Woollard (CA4) opinions should be coming shortly and will certainly be aware of the Kachalsky ruling. An active appeal will change the tone favorably, if not substantially.

Pg 26/49
    18 Plaintiffs’ attempts to equate this case with Heller or
    19 to draw analogies to First Amendment concerns come up short.

There is a difference between "keep" vs "keep and bear"....

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I thought SCOTUS was not supposed to be a court of first impression. Why the hell will the Circuits not make a stand on their interpretation? I am getting seriously irked by the continual "we cannot make this decision until SCOTUS provides guidance" punting.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    This decision, unlike some others, appears to this layman to be a coherent piece of legal writing. While I obviously disagree with the court's assertion that Second Amendment protections are limited to the home, the rest of their analysis clearly flows from that one error. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad for us and I defer to those more knowledgeable on that point.

On the positive side, it seems to be more cleanly open to appeal than some of the other cases that confuse the facts (CA1, I'm looking at you). If another case were decided in our favor at SCOTUS before this one, this is an easy GVR. '2A applies outside the home, try again with that in mind.'

IMO, the CA7 cases are the best vehicle for SCOTUS, as since IL bans carry entirely, the issue is more focused. Paging Judge Posner, Richard Posner, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The new 1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances, as long as the aforementioned activities take place in the home. :sad20: :sad20: :sad20:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This decision, unlike some others, appears to this layman to be a coherent piece of legal writing. While I obviously disagree with the court's assertion that Second Amendment protections are limited to the home, the rest of their analysis clearly flows from that one error. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad for us and I defer to those more knowledgeable on that point.

On the positive side, it seems to be more cleanly open to appeal than some of the other cases that confuse the facts (CA1, I'm looking at you). If another case were decided in our favor at SCOTUS before this one, this is an easy GVR. '2A applies outside the home, try again with that in mind.'

IMO, the CA7 cases are the best vehicle for SCOTUS, as since IL bans carry entirely, the issue is more focused. Paging Judge Posner, Richard Posner, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Nothing much good for us in this opinion. Note that there would be no direct conflict between this decision and a win in the CA7 case (Moore) as the latter merely would hold that the 2A right applies outside the home (Illinois bans carry in public completely). The court in Kachalsky was perfectly willing to "assume" that premise and still uphold the good cause requirement under intermediate scrutiny.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Yep more of the "in the home" crap.

I also like how they simply shrugged off the statistics that the SAF provided because New York was able to provide some too. Therefore New York must be acting on the side of public safety and SAF obviously doesn't know what they are talking about.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Time for the Supreme Court to decide this "in the Home" question once and for all....

They give Heller a fair reading, recognizing its limitations:

Although we have two courts in this one upholding the Statute at question, I'd say the language in this one is begging for an answer from One First. Although we would rather take a winning case up, I don't see why this one wouldn't stand a decent chance of a successful Cert Petition by itself, no split and with an 0-2 record. It may be our only "shot" for this term.

Peterson (CA10), Sheppard/Moore (CA7) and Woollard (CA4) opinions should be coming shortly and will certainly be aware of the Kachalsky ruling. An active appeal will change the tone favorably, if not substantially.

There is a difference between "keep" vs "keep and bear"....

I have no doubt that Gura will petition for rehearing en banc (which will be unsuccessful) and then petition for cert. While it is possible that the court could act on a cert petition this term, it is very unlikely that the case will actually get heard this term if cert were to be granted.

EDIT: I don't think for a minute that we would surely prevail in the SCT even assuming cert is granted. Heller and McDonald were 5/4 splits. This will be hard.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    Nothing much good for us in this opinion. Note that there would be no direct conflict between this decision and a win in the CA7 case (Moore) as the latter merely would hold that the 2A right applies outside the home (Illinois bans carry in public completely). The court in Kachalsky was perfectly willing to "assume" that premise and still uphold the good cause requirement under intermediate scrutiny.

Wouldn't it depend on how the court holds for protection of carry in public?

kachalsky CA2 decision said:
    Heller explains that the “core” protection of the Second Amendment is the “right of law abiding, responsible citizens to use arms in defense of hearth and home.” Heller, 554 U.S. at 634-35. Although we have no occasion to decide what level of scrutiny should apply to laws that burden the “core” Second Amendment protection identified in Heller, we believe that applying less than strict scrutiny when the regulation does not burden the “core” protection of self-defense in the home makes eminent sense in this context and is in line with the approach taken by our sister circuits.

If SCOTUS holds that public carry is part of the "core" of the 2A, this reasoning is wrong. I agree that such a holding wouldn't guarantee Kachalsky would go the other way, but wouldn't it be sufficient for a remand? (Assuming the timeline went that way.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom