• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I sent a payment to a seller. Now, he mentioned that he needs a copy of FFL before he could ship the rifle , he said ATFE told him that he needs a copy of FFL to ship. I know Dan doesn't fax a copy of his license to private ownere.

What can I do? Why do some FFL holders fax a copy their licenses and others don't?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I am wary of sending signed copies of my C&R to people I don't know too, but he does not have to worry because an 01 FFL is on the ATF eZ Check and all Dan should have to do is give his FFL number and the address will show up on the ATF page and that he is really an FFL. So he can verify without a copy.
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You know every FFL I have had transfers done with has faxed or emailed to dealers and citizens alike. When I have sold guns in the far past I asked for a copy via mail, fax or email. Frankly I cant think of a GB auction I have won in the last two years where an FFL wasnt faxed or emailed to the seller, vast majority have been private too.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I know, I have done selling/ buying both ways before- fax copy of FFL and ATF EZ check. However, if the seller insisted that he must have a copy of FFL, which I don't think is wrong, should I just back out of the deal then? I mean there is no other way to complete the deal, right? - store policy VS seller's requirement.

As I mentioned, I do undertand both sides: the FFL holder and the seller. It is very easy to alter a copy, as it has been copied so many times before, not to mention using special SW to make it look like original. W/ the ATF EZ check, the website has to be hacked for the info to change, but then there is nothing much we can do. And, for the seller who wants to keep track of where the rifle is sent and a future record which is why a receipt from transfer is ideal.

I guess it depends on which way is more convenient or secure, to the individual and particular store. Not easy answer for this, as I see it.

Last edited:

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    No need to back out just find another transfer agent. I don't see the problem of sending a copy of an FFL if it is marked as such. So if your dealer has an issue there many others that will take your money and do the transfer.

I'm in the same purgatory right now. I just can't get anyone to follow through and send the FFL to my dealer in WA so it looks like I may end up at Conntinental and paying the $65, a bit confiscatory but if they get it done it's worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom