• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Ready to install low profile gas block (from Fulton Armory) on 308 upper build. Using a Criterion chrome lined barrel which had one dimple opposite the gas port to locate the gas block. I measured and made second dimple for the second gas port set screw. The holes in the gas block are countersunk so staking looks like it would be very difficult. Feel like I should use some thread locker on the set screws but which one--- Loctite Blue, Red or other?
    Hearing about your experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Rocksett and make sure the set screws have a knurled engagement surface.

The barrel can get hot enough to break down red or blue Loctite.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Rocksett and make sure the set screws have a knurled engagement surface.

The barrel can get hot enough to break down red or blue Loctite.

Really? This nonsense again? Geez man, go back to basket weaving or whatever your day job is! Stop lying to people. Are you sponsored by rocksett???

J/K, I haven't had a chance to harangue you lately, hope you're doing well!

Also, to the OP, yes, take this man's advice. He knows a lot of things, because he's seen a lot of things.

-John

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 35 inch-pounds. Chad, am I right? What did I win?

-John

It really depends on the quality of the fasteners and the bit you are using. 35in# is what I would use, but as a safe bet 20IN# is less likely to strip cheaper fasteners or bits.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    It really depends on the quality of the faster and the bit you are using. 35in# is what I would use, but as a safe bet 20IN# is less likely to strip cheaper fasteners or bits.

Well s**t, if you're gonna use cheap fasteners, then you deserve broken s**t. Put some quality parts on and knuckle it down to 35 inch-pounds, buddy!

Honestly, I thought that number came flying out of my hind quarters, but to hear that I was right, well that's just fan-freakin'-tastic! :D

-John

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I used some blue I had laying around on a recent build we’ll see how it does. Some say they’ve used nothing and never had a problem. If that fails then Rocksett it is.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I used some blue I had laying around on a recent build we’ll see how it does. Some say they’ve used nothing and never had a problem. If that fails then Rocksett it is.

It's your gun.

Regardless of the messenger think about the application.

It's a gas block, it gets hot. How do you remove a blue Loctite fastener? You heat it.

How do you remove fastener that was installed with Rocksett? Heat does nothing to it, you need hot water.

When a set screws loosen the has block walks and the gun shuts down.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ready to install low profile gas block (from Fulton Armory) on 308 upper build. Using a Criterion chrome lined barrel which had one dimple opposite the gas port to locate the gas block. I measured and made second dimple for the second gas port set screw. The holes in the gas block are countersunk so staking looks like it would be very difficult. Feel like I should use some thread locker on the set screws but which one--- Loctite Blue, Red or other?
    Hearing about your experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

if you do not want to rockset, may i recommend finding out the size of the set screws and installing the 2nd over each set screw and then stake it. It does not need to be super stake either just enough to lock the second set screw in place and with little effort you can break it free if need be in the future.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    It's your gun.

Regardless of the messenger think about the application.

It's a gas block, it gets hot. How do you remove a blue Loctite fastener? You heat it.

How do you remove fastener that was installed with Rocksett? Heat does nothing to it, you need hot water.

When a set screws loosen the has block walks and the gun shuts down.
    Yep I know, I’ll order some Rocksett. Also considering having Aadco just pin it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    if you do not want to rockset, may i recommend finding out the size of the set screws and installing the 2nd over each set screw and then stake it. It does not need to be super stake either just enough to lock the second set screw in place and with little effort you can break it free if need be in the future.

This works well.

I still like to use the knurled tipped ones for the ones that contact the barrel. They hold tight better than the standard tipped set screws.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This works well.

I still like to use the knurled tipped ones for the ones that contact the barrel. They hold tight better than the standard tipped set screws.

I agree. I also install mine using a hair dryer to warm the steal a little bit to shorten the expansion/contraction variance.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

I like this idea. I have a rifle that I like to tinker with and having the ability to just pop it off is great.

I just bought a new torque screwdriver so I can't wait to use it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I like this idea. I have a rifle that I like to tinker with and having the ability to just pop it off is great.

I just bought a new torque screwdriver so I can't wait to use it.

Or just find a friend with a drill press and install a taper pin. Now that I've learned how to do it, I don't see ever going back to set screws. Taper pins and reamers are pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom