• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Shooters, our normally scheduled 3 gun match for December has been modified and the date changed slightly. We will be doing a 2 gun rifle and pistol match, on December 12th. The match will be open to C&R rifles and pistols, and feature the same divisions for those firearms as used in our June C&R match (see below).

There will also be a "Modern" division for our regular 2 gun and 3 gun shooters who want to come out and have some fun, and heavy metal calibers will be allowed. If there is enough interest, we will split this into a Modern Light and Modern Heavy Division. The modern division will basically encompass the Limited/Scope/Open divisions we normally use.

The match will feature 4 stages based on historical battles that are well known for their occurrence during extreme cold weather. We'll have the 200 yard range to channel your inner Simo Hayha, as well as three bays that will feature interesting rifle and pistol engagements, and bonus options for those competitors who want to push their physical abilities on the clock.

The match will follow the Mid Atlantic multigun rules with addendums, which will be made available to everyone shortly. Registration will be on practiscore and a link will be posted when it opens.

C&R Divisions will be as follows:

Manual Division:

Rifle: Any military surplus bolt action rifle, or any lever action rifle. Bolt actions must be stripper clip or manually fed with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds, using only iron sights or period correct optics. Detachable magazines may not be used for reloads at any time. We encourage you to bring out legitimate WW1/WW2 rifles such as the Mosin Nagant, P14/M1917, Enfield, Mauser, 1903 Springfield, K31, Etc.

Pistol: Any revolver or pistol with iron sights only. Modern pistols (Post 1970) may only load magazines to 7 round capacity, period correct firearms may be loaded to their full capacity using magazines or feeding systems that are period correct (Pre-1970).

Auto Division:

Rifle: Any semi-automatic rifle designed or militarily adopted prior to 1946, with a magazine capacity no greater than 15 rounds, using only iron sights or period correct optics. May use stripper clips, en-bloc clips, or detachable magazines. We encourage you to bring out legitimate WW2 era rifles such as the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SVT-40, G43, AG-42B, MAS series rifles, etc. SKS are allowed.

Pistol: Any revolver or pistol with iron sights only. Modern pistols (Post 1970) may only load magazines to 7 round capacity, period correct firearms may be loaded to their full capacity using magazines or feeding systems that are period correct (Pre-1970).

Bayonet & Knife: If you have a bayonet for your rifle, bring it. It is not required but there is potential for a stage to require bayonetting or stabbing a target. We will provide a knife if you do not bring a bayonet of your own for this purpose.

If you have a question about gear or have something that fits the spirit of the match but doesn't exactly meet the requirements, ask and we will make a determination.

Ideally this will be a fun and friendly match and a chance for people to get out and use their interesting historical firearms in an exciting way.

Any questions, please ask.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    We do them sporadically at this point. Next event will be around D-Day next year.

Thats awesome! I’m really glad i found this! Thanks!

Are there certain rules on what to bring besides firearms? Like i’ve seen 2 and 3 gun runs here and there. Do you have to get a certain belt/holster? Are there certain amount of ammo and/magazines you need to have?

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Ammo counts vary so the amount of clips or magazines will vary on your skill set. Usually plan on 100 rifle and 100 pistol, though the actual needed amount is usually closer to 60-75 of each.

Belt and holster is usually needed. The D Day match we did have it set such that the pistols were staged. Otherwise pockets to hold your ammo.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Thats great info! Thanks for sharing! If i can’t make it this time, hopefully you guys do another D-Day one in June. I will for sure be there!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I really enjoyed the opportunity to shoot heavy, and TBH, I think that if we allow it again, we should just make it an unlimited division with caliber restrictions. I got a lot out of forcing myself to shoot some 308 and 45:
    1. Forced me to buy some single stack mags (WC 10rd'ers) and pouches (Ghost USA).
    2. Forced me to actually shoot my 1911s, and I discovered I rather like them more than I thought. Not sure I'm rushing out to buy a bunch more, but even their meh stock triggers were more than usable.
    3. Discovered I really like the SMRS 1-8.5x scope more than I thought I did. It has flaws, but it is CRYSTAL CLEAR and I didn't find the 1x reticle to be nearly as problematic as I originally thought.
    4. Also determined that adjustable gas can bite you in the ass during the winter when you set it during warm weather. :)
    5. Made my 308 and 45 reloading efforts seem a lot less pointless!

On the whole, great time.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Overall, we had fun (of course;) ) We came into it sleep deprived and completely unpracticed, and it really showed in my shooting and reloading my M1917 rifle. I did get a little better with the shooting as the day went on. My M1917 revolver...I just shot kinda lousy the whole time :o Despite the somewhat minimalist sights and lack of rifling, I used to shoot it pretty well. Not this day, for whatever reason :shrug:
    Our squad had a guy fall (mostly unhurt, except for pride) and a bunch of little equipment problems...mostly with those newfangled autoloading rifles. Aaaaand...then there was Katie's M1 carbine that worked for about three rounds of the very first stage, and then quit. :wtf: It certainly wasn't the rifle's fault. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=261980 After we cleared the bad round, it still wouldn't fully go into battery. I guess/hope there was still too much powder gunking up the works. That was a real bummer. She shot my rifle in the last stage. Short girl and long rifle is always a cute combination ;)

Somehow...we still had fun, and can't wait for the next :D

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    It was fun but personally, I would prefer to see it limited to the C&R auto and manual categories only. These were a distinct minority this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom