• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    How Is It That Traceable Guns Are Ghost Guns??

So I am reading this Montgomery County press release about titled "Council unanimously approves Ghost Guns Bill, restricting the sale of transfer of ghost guns to minors"

Now follow me here - the press release states "Currently, these untraceable guns often evade detection ..."

But then states "In the past year, ghost gun sales have skyrocketed across the country, including in Montgomery County."

If these are untraceable, how do MoCo officials know that the sales have skyrocketed? And if they are able to trace these sales, then how are these "ghost guns"? :shrug:

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    What upsets me is that they risk their lives with black lung and they are targeted by politicians.

Eye hart 762

Apr 8, 2019
    So I am reading this Montgomery County press release about titled "Council unanimously approves Ghost Guns Bill, restricting the sale of transfer of ghost guns to minors"

Now follow me here - the press release states "Currently, these untraceable guns often evade detection ..."

But then states "In the past year, ghost gun sales have skyrocketed across the country, including in Montgomery County."

If these are untraceable, how do MoCo officials know that the sales have skyrocketed? And if they are able to trace these sales, then how are these "ghost guns"? :shrug:

Aren’t firearms sales to minors illegal anyway

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

June can't come soon enough.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Maybe they know how to count the number of guns they recover that do not have serial numbers.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    Please correct me if I’m not understanding this:
    80% things are legally not guns, and therefore cannot be regulated, including sale to minors.
    Finished guns already cannot be sold to minors.

So the whole thing is just legislative masturbation? Has zero point, but makes themselves feel good?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    80% things are legally not guns, and therefore cannot be regulated, including sale to minors.

So the whole thing is just legislative masturbation? Has zero point, but makes themselves feel good?

The basic misunderstanding is in considering the bill as being created as a useful legal tool, addressing an existing problem. It is no such thing.

Its purpose is multifocal; it must create anxiety in its intended audience, the typical MoCo Dem voter, it must threaten their children, it must create a burden on lawful gun owners, who must be understood to be a threat to the community at large, and it must be ambiguous enough to be more or less unenforceable while still leaving openings for prosecutors to harass those charged, thus providing fees for the Bar, and work for the court system.

But most importantly, it must demonstrate that their elected officials are working vigorously to create and identify threats and respond with appropriate legislative force to ensure their name recognition and provide hooks to hot-button issues of great pith and moment, suitable for serving as talking points at the run-up to the next election.

See what we have done for you and your children, keeping you safe from guns without numbers? We understand your concerns, we even point out things which should be of concern, and we're taking care of these things for you! That's what we, your government servants, are doing for you!

Now, that's masturbation, writ large!

Edit: I should mention that another reason for seemingly pointless legislation is affirmation; promoting inclusion in a group by pandering to their prevailing indoctrinations, and demonstrating that we, your elected leaders, are in agreement with your beliefs, and in fact are in the business of protecting them, and coddling your sensibilities. You can find that in most large reasonably homogenous groups . . . even here.

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

They can be regulated like any other commercial good, just not using existing firearms law because they're not firearms.

MoCo County Council could pass a law banning sales of chocolate to minors if they wanted to.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, didn't the State already preempt county and city gun ordinances in MD?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom