• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan

Hey ghtnats! that's exactly what I was slooking for ...

Waht do you all think, after the holiday, but before the midterm elections buy? Or wait till after the elections, with. the expectation that the Reps will win and this insanity will stop, that's the time to buy?

I have some cash to spend, and running kinda low on ammo; want to buy in the dip as my friend says.... hahah. :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How much do you want to gamble for absolutely lowest price ?

Buying as you outline is probably wise to cover your bets , at least for a sufficiency of ammo if not your entire ammo budget .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Hey ghtnats! that's exactly what I was slooking for ...

Waht do you all think, after the holiday, but before the midterm elections buy? Or wait till after the elections, with. the expectation that the Reps will win and this insanity will stop, that's the time to buy?

I have some cash to spend, and running kinda low on ammo; want to buy in the dip as my friend says.... hahah. :lol2:

Buy it whenever you see it at a reasonable price (reasonable for the time). DO NOT wait until you're low or out. Timing market dips is not a sound strategy. If prices drop post election, then you buy to average out the higher prices you've already paid. And the next time it returns to "normal", buy all you can and don't stop buying, so you don't have to ask this question again.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Good advice, I'll take it and not wait. I've looked on ammo*seek, anyone have recommendations for what to shop online/locally? And good deals? thx!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    1964.....Pendleton's Hardware Wheaton, MD.
    Western 22LR box cost .25 cents for 50 rounds.

Inflation calculator says that 25 cents would be the equivalent of $2.24 today; about 4.5 cents per round.

A loaf of Wonder Bread cost less than a quarter in the early 1960s. Money was still worth something back then.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Buy it whenever you see it at a reasonable price (reasonable for the time). DO NOT wait until you're low or out. Timing market dips is not a sound strategy. If prices drop post election, then you buy to average out the higher prices you've already paid. And the next time it returns to "normal", buy all you can and don't stop buying, so you don't have to ask this question again.

And when AmmoJon tells you that availability will be severely limited in a few months, believe him.

When you get a warning like that from someone in the trade, take it seriously. I spent more than I could afford back then, and it insulated me against a 400% increase in prices. I even passed on buying a few nice firearms at the time, assuming they'd be useless without ammunition.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    And when AmmoJon tells you that availability will be severely limited in a few months, believe him.

When you get a warning like that from someone in the trade, take it seriously. I spent more than I could afford back then, and it insulated me against a 400% increase in prices. I even passed on buying a few nice firearms at the time, assuming they'd be useless without ammunition.

I have suppliers that buy by the truckload that are asking me to help them find 12g ammo. I don’t take that as a good sign. There might be supply at the consumer level but at the top in large quantities it’s still not great.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    My best prices, given the then value of the money, seem to have been 2015 to 2018, per my credit card annual reports. I did not buy ammo, except for 500 rounds of Remington practice 9mm 115 grain round nosed fmj, in 2019, and that load was new to me that year.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have suppliers that buy by the truckload that are asking me to help them find 12g ammo. I don’t take that as a good sign. There might be supply at the consumer level but at the top in large quantities it’s still not great.

So when does industry take the hint that the demand we've seen for the past 18 months is probably going to be the new normal, so they'll go ahead and invest in additional capacity? Primers, and maybe to a lesser extent propellants, seem to be the real bottleneck in preventing production increases, so an investment there might give a healthy, stable RoI.

Remember when his Fed 9mm went the whole way up to $225/1000 and a bunch of people here were talking trash and accusing him of gouging?
    Those were the good old days (less than 2yrs ago)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Remember when his Fed 9mm went the whole way up to $225/1000 and a bunch of people here were talking trash and accusing him of gouging?
    Those were the good old days (less than 2yrs ago)

Nowadays I’m at $330. I’m paying more than the above price for it. Good old days.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    So when does industry take the hint that the demand we've seen for the past 18 months is probably going to be the new normal, so they'll go ahead and invest in additional capacity? Primers, and maybe to a lesser extent propellants, seem to be the real bottleneck in preventing production increases, so an investment there might give a healthy, stable RoI.

I don’t see it happening, the only thing I see happening is the market is now flooded with cheap no name ammo from Turkey, etc. 115g seems to be the most popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom