• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some types of persons are in protected classes. Easier to regulate the tools and prosecute according to policy.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    If an argument is made that stabilizing braces are intended to circumnavigate the 1934 NFA by adding a pseudo stock on a pistol, couldn't an argument be made that a 16 inch rifle barrel also is intended to skate the NFA? I mean if you get right down to brass tacks, most rifles around the world were 20 inches. A barrel that was cut to 18" was considered pretty handy. Now, because of the 1934 NFA, all of a sudden all the rifles that were once short (AR15 clone of the M4 with a 14 inch barrel for example) are now 16.25 inch or something. You could argue that it is complying with the law but I say it is no different than arm braces. Technically they are complying with the law too, but just beyond the limit of the law.

Just something to help get people thinking out of the box.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If an argument is made that stabilizing braces are intended to circumnavigate the 1934 NFA by adding a pseudo stock on a pistol, couldn't an argument be made that a 16 inch rifle barrel also is intended to skate the NFA? I mean if you get right down to brass tacks, most rifles around the world were 20 inches. A barrel that was cut to 18" was considered pretty handy. Now, because of the 1934 NFA, all of a sudden all the rifles that were once short (AR15 clone of the M4 with a 14 inch barrel for example) are now 16.25 inch or something. You could argue that it is complying with the law but I say it is no different than arm braces. Technically they are complying with the law too, but just beyond the limit of the law.

Just something to help get people thinking out of the box.

Then there's the 18" limit on shotgun barrels. Why 18 and not 16? For that matter, why 16 and not 18? Then there's the Maryland 29" for SBRs . . .

GCA 1968 developed a formula to ban "Saturday Night Specials" from the hands of the back alley craps sharks; instead of ridding us of the Rohm category, it prevented such cheap dreck as the Walther PPK from falling into the hands of the unfit.

Arbitrary and capricious is what you get when you allow politics to trump reason.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Then there's the 18" limit on shotgun barrels. Why 18 and not 16? For that matter, why 16 and not 18? Then there's the Maryland 29" for SBRs . . .

GCA 1968 developed a formula to ban "Saturday Night Specials" from the hands of the back alley craps sharks; instead of ridding us of the Rohm category, it prevented such cheap dreck as the Walther PPK from falling into the hands of the unfit.

Arbitrary and capricious is what you get when you allow politics to trump reason.

Thomas Jefferson Quote: “When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.”

And the real problem is the ATF.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA or GCA68) is a U.S. federal law that regulates the firearms industry and firearms ownership. Due to constitutional limitations, the Act is primarily based on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except by manufacturers, dealers and importers licensed under a scheme set up under the Act.

The GCA was signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on October 22, 1968, and is Title I of the U.S. federal firearms laws. The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) is Title II. Both GCA and NFA are enforced by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

GCA repealed the Federal Firearms Act of 1938, though many of its provisions were reenacted as part of the GCA, which revised the FFA and its predecessor, the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA).[1]

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    so how long does it take to process the sbr paper work? which form is it?
    Form 1, via Eform about 30 days.
    But if Chevron deference gets a nip in the bud tomorrow in the EPA case, you might save $200 and see the ATF run away with their tail between their legs.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Form 1, via Eform about 30 days.
    But if Chevron deference gets a nip in the bud tomorrow in the EPA case, you might save $200 and see the ATF run away with their tail between their legs.
    I agree. I am speculating that the EPA case will have a huge effect on ability of Executive Agencies to make regulations.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I agree. I am speculating that the EPA case will have a huge effect on ability of Executive Agencies to make regulations.
    That scotus is releasing it after NYSRPA and Dobbs (and that they went out of their way o avoid invoking Chevron multiple times this term) has me feeling cautiously optimistic!

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    is there anything other than a video suggesting a delay?

I have not seen anything official. here we are in July, before mid terms, when progressIves are clamoring for action. I tend to doubt that they will postpone it or let facts or adverse SC rulings get in the way.

I think that they will take the CDC route that they did last year: issue the rule, let the court smack in down, then blame the court ("well we tried, it's those damn right wing gun nuts on the court")

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    is there anything other than a video suggesting a delay?

I have not seen anything official. here we are in July, before mid terms, when progressIves are clamoring for action. I tend to doubt that they will postpone it or let facts or adverse SC rulings get in the way.

I think that they will take the CDC route that they did last year: issue the rule, let the court smack in down, then blame the court ("well we tried, it's those damn right wing gun nuts on the court")

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    so how long does it take to process the sbr paper work? which form is it?
    i have just did two eform 1 sbrs at the end of may. one took two weeks. the other took 4 weeks. not sure why one took longer when they were submitted at the same time except they were approved by different ATF "agents"

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    WV v EPA is going to make this a fun one.

Screenshot_20220630-111743_Drive.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Since the ATF has no legislative authority and is basically creating new law with their new rules, they are in violation of their Congressionally granted limitations.
    Couple this with the recent ruling on the NY case, and they are clearly attempting to circumvent The Second Amendment.
    When exactly does it become a citizen's duty to ignore tyrannical rules?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom