• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Gonna freeze it first to kill the weevils?

???

You think it has weevils?

I have never seen weevils in rice, However I have never bought a 50 pound bag of rice before either...

Not only am in concerned about COVID-19... now I gotta be thinking about Weevils.

Anyone ACTUALLY find Weevils in bulk bags of rice from Costco, or the like?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ???

I have never seen weevils in rice, However I have never bought a 50 pound bag of rice before either...

Not only am in concerned about COVID-19... now I gotta be thinking about Weevils.

Anyone ACTUALLY find Weevils in bulk bags of rice from Costco, or the like?

I used to buy rice by the 40 pound bag. I never had weevils, but I have had grain moths. Not sure if they came from the rice or for other things.

I have a CO2 tank and a nitrogen tank, so I could fill the bucket with inert gas after adding the rice. That would take care of any bugs.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ahh bugs schmugs. They're a crunchy additive.
    I have had some weird moths on pasta many times before.
    They are not harmful, just not appealing.
    American pantries, filled with grains and pasta will have huge colonies
    of flying critters in a few months.
    Best to store this stuff in a cool, dry basement. I would say the fridge, but likely that is already filled with -
    BEER!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Yessir, it has eggs of some insect or other in it. Refrigerate, freeze, or cook it.
    WTF are you doing buying a 50 pound bag of rice???? Unless you meant 5 pound, my bad:)

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    My wife always freezes the rice overnight before storing it on a shelf in air tight containers. That will kill any insects or insect eggs in the rice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ahh bugs schmugs. They're a crunchy additive.

And a source of protein.

In Cambodia, many rice paddies have a termite mound in them. The locals eat the rice for carbs, and the termites for protein.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My wife always freezes the rice overnight before storing it on a shelf in air tight containers. That will kill any insects or insect eggs in the rice.

I know for cigars, they recommend 3 - 5 days freezing to kill any bugs.

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    If and when things settle down...bakeries in grocery stores and WalMRt and the like have a shitload of used ones. Just cozy up to the large older ladies that run the bakery... May or may not require you to frost a donut occasionally... ;-)

They’re all available on line at a little steeper price point.

I did this for a long time at the old Mars bakeries! Very good sir!!!

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yessir, it has eggs of some insect or other in it. Refrigerate, freeze, or cook it.
    WTF are you doing buying a 50 pound bag of rice???? Unless you meant 5 pound, my bad:)

Because it is all the rage right now, to buy mass quantities of food! :party29:

I can now stand in front of my abode, with my arms crossed, and feet firmly planted; and bellow out to the world... "I HAVE A 50 POUND BAG OF RICE" :rockon:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I bake my rice/beans/lentils/etc on cookie sheets @ 225f for 2hrs before sealing in vac seal bags with desiccant.
    This removes moisture and will kill any critters.

Check into dry oven canning of rice, dry beans and dry pasta ( and other stuff). It’s easy. Can be done in quarts or half gallons and no desiccant needed.

It’s old timey and I doubt it’s usda approved but it absolutely works

Onceuponatime

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 19, 2018
    What are some of your favorite places to acquire long term food? And which foods and/or basic ingredient type foods do you obtain?

I love Honeyville, The Ready Store, Emergency Essentials and Wise Foods

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    This is hilarious. We NEVER eat rice, but since we're stuck at home and I've tried to mix things up a bit I made some Basmati rice this past week. My kids have been demanding it at every meal now... of course I only had a single two pound bag.

I'd trade a SIG 716 for that 40lb bag. ;-)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    This is hilarious. We NEVER eat rice, but since we're stuck at home and I've tried to mix things up a bit I made some Basmati rice this past week. My kids have been demanding it at every meal now... of course I only had a single two pound bag.

I can make that deal happen. It would go real nice with my 516 Patrol.

Either Lotte Market on rt40 in Ellicott City or H Mart on Rt40 should have the 40lb bags

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    We prefer the Thrive Life brand of long term storage food. Very food quality & taste.

We tried samples of the Wise foods and no one in my family liked them.

Best to sample before committing in bulk.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Because it is all the rage right now, to buy mass quantities of food! :party29:

I can now stand in front of my abode, with my arms crossed, and feet firmly planted; and bellow out to the world... "I HAVE A 50 POUND BAG OF RICE" :rockon:

I see your rice and raise you some flour!

I actually use about 7-8lbs a month making bread so this is not too ridiculous..

Attachments

• 0DEB0E3F-023F-4773-A4A3-3833B2D6C53D.jpg
      0DEB0E3F-023F-4773-A4A3-3833B2D6C53D.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 248

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads