• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I’ve learned that I need to purchase a second freezer and fill that full of venison as well.

Same here. Two deer per year aren't enough for the family. I'm hitting the season hard this fall.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Its was a deep state fake.

If it is real? 10s of thousands of Democrats/Leftists will die of the virus soon.:cool:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've heard a lot of people express this sentiment and I suspect the woods are going to be crowded this fall.

If unemployment is still really high this fall, probably. I count myself lucky I’ve got 4.4 acres in a reasonably rural neighborhood with permissive neighbors and only a couple other people in the neighborhood hunt in the neighborhood. A couple other guys hunt, but they’ve got private leases or land somewhere else they hunt.

Probably some pressure from the state park nearby, but it’s 3/4 of a mile away. A lot of the deer that are on or passing through my property are spending most of the season within the neighborhood itself, not ending up all the way over in the state park. Or they are in the state park, but not the parcel that is open for hunting.

I ended up with 4 last season and donated one to a neighbor who couldn’t get out to hunt with a new born.

Could have easily done 10. Heck, I was still regularly having multiple herds of 5-7 coming through even after I’d whittled a few off and a nearby neighbor had harvested a couple also. Just based on trail cam pictures, I don’t know how many does, but there are at least 10 distinct bucks of spike or older/bigger that fake through. Plus at least 3 button bucks and 2-3 of the 6 and 8 point bucks might really have been 3-6 different deer as some of the pictures weren’t the best.

So that’s roughly a dozen to fifteen bucks alone. Easily that many unique does, but I didn’t bother trying to figure them out. Might have been more than that for does.

I am not overly worried unless it’s a SHTFTEOTWAWKI situation. Then probably the fact that 60+% of my neighbors are gun owners will end up that many of them will manage to get lucky in the end and get a deer (I hope they know what to do with one if they do).

I doubt many are suddenly going to decide to become hunters just because of this. Or not many.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I will be harvesting at least as many. If not more if I end up donating some.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law might end up wanting a whole one this fall. Not sure if that same neighbor will be able to get out to hunt this year with the passel or little ones he has now.

Plus one of the ones I harvested was an early season fawn. I won’t do that again unless desperate. Not worth it for how much meat you get, not matter how tasty it is.

Not sure I can fit a TON more. But 3 yearling or older deer for myself is probably good. 4 if it looks like things are really bad (more I’d like edge of collapse). I need a bigger freezer...

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Nice set up. I hunt private land but there is moderate pressure and not as many bucks as you have. Doesn't really bother me as I usually only kill nice fat does.

I doubt many are suddenly going to decide to become hunters just because of this. Or not many.

I agree, however I bet a lot of people who haven't hunted in a while will dust off their gear and go out. Of course if we have a "second wave" and another lockdown then a lot of people will have extra time on their hands.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nice set up. I hunt private land but there is moderate pressure and not as many bucks as you have. Doesn't really bother me as I usually only kill nice fat does.

I agree, however I bet a lot of people who haven't hunted in a while will dust off their gear and go out. Of course if we have a "second wave" and another lockdown then a lot of people will have extra time on their hands.

I'm one of those that haven't hunted in a VERY long time. Starting to give it serious consideration this year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I am thrilled to get a big buck, but I am plenty happy with nice fat does. Not much in the way of champion bucks. I did see a couple nice 8-pt, an average 10-pt and one 8-pt with massively thick beams.

I ended up with a big bodied 5-pt early November, a couple yearling does in October and September and a fawn on opening day. Going to try to be slightly more selective and just go for the older does it I can. Or an older buck (the 5-pt was probably a 2.5yr, perfectly acceptably sized. I got 29.5lbs each out of both does and 52lbs out of the buck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom