Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Looking for "talking points" on opposition to SB646.

TEXT:Altering a certain prohibition to prohibit a person from storing or leaving a loaded or unloaded firearm in a location where a minor could gain access to the firearm; repealing a certain exception to the prohibition; prohibiting a person from storing or leaving a loaded or unloaded firearm in a location where an unsupervised minor could gain access to the firearm and an unsupervised minor does gain access to the firearm; etc.

I'm not sure how to argue this and not sound like I'm FOR minors getting ahold of unattended firearms...lil' help, here.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'd like to know how the determination of "unlawful entry" is made. Is it lawful until the child has been prosecuted for and found guilty of B&E, trespass, etc?

Otherwise, that jerky kid from next door (or, a familiar friend of one of the household's minors), who sometimes walks into the house unannounced/uninvited when people are home ... and does so again unaware if someone is home in advance of finding a firearm out for cleaning or such ... is that an "unlawful entry" in the context of this law? I'm not sure how the gun owner's innocence (per the "unlawful entry" clause) could be established unless the trespassing kid's entrance into the home was actually tested (presumably, through prosecution and a finding of guilt - how else?) for unlawfulness. In the awful circumstance of the kid killing him/herself with that gun, isn't it too late to establish unlawful entry at that point?

At first blush, that's all I got.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This bill is an Everytown/Bloomberg favorite. If there's renewed energy behind this and other legislation, it's very likely that Bloomberg is funding it.

The underlying presumption behind this bill is that all guns are evil and dangerous. Even an unlocked and unloaded one, that families have traditionally had available as protection to themselves and their livestock is too much a risk to society (based on no scientific study). The government is stepping inside our homes and telling us how to exercise a right in our domicile. It will eventually lead to inspections. The NDA man who vigorously argued for stop and frisk doesn't care about your privacy or your family's privacy.

A farm family that once kept an unloaded shotgun or rifle by the door for quick access if there's a wild animal now needs to put a safe near that door to the outside. Due to the time lost in getting it out of the safe, now they keep it loaded and are more in a rush. Moreover, if only junior is home, junior can't defend a pet or a sibling being attacked by a wild animal because the legislator prefers the sibling get mauled or killed. It's for our own good.

No worries if a legislator's family keeps prescription medicine unlocked at home when minors are present because drug overdoses aren't a problem in Maryland. No worries that we leave car keys on countertops or sharp knives in the kitchen or cans of gas in the garage or books with radical ideas on the bookshelf and have teenagers in the house that can access these things. An unloaded shotgun accessible by even a responsible minor threatens us all.

The person that isn't viewed as a threat is someone with previous convictions that leaves a loaded, illegally owned handgun under the sofa of his girlfriend's place, where she has small kids. The legislature won't pass legislation that strengthens penalties against those with a history of committing crimes, because they view them as unnecessarily harsh and punitive and targeting minorities.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a couple of unloaded pump action shotguns and several unloaded 22LR bolt action rifles at home out of the safe (in rifle/shotgun cases). My safes are full - I prioritize them for my AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles. Yes, I could pull the bolt on the 22LR rifles.

Should this legislation pass, I'll buy new safes. They will of course have additional capacity. I'll buy new guns to fill this space - probably semiautomatic ones that I've wanted but held off on not having the space. Guns that will eventually go to my kids. MD legislators always seem to devise new legislation to spur gun sales.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I like to be no more than 10 feet from a gun in my home at any time. I'd Velcro them to the wall if my wife would let me.

What? You don't have a shower gun? Are you sure you're an MDS member and not a plant?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    SB646 was special ordered on 3/13 by Sen. Hough for today (3/16). It's on today's 1pm agenda. They still have not convened.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The audio feed is not working for me, but I can see that there has been a lot of discussion on SB646. Then, Sen. Bailey offered an amendment. Special ordered until next session by Sen. Jennings. I'm guessing that means tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom