Anyone else in construction seeing any recent downturn in business.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vswillj1

Oct 1, 2018
    I am in a very similar industry as you (commercial foodservice millwork) and the 4th quarter is typically a slowdown to a slow 1st quarter. We are on pace this year to have our best and no shortage of work out there with number of competitors shrinking.

Weather doesn't affect us as we are generally the last one's in on the jobs. Profit margins appear to be increasing overall, however tarriff's are starting to hit us in the plywood markets. 5'x8' sheets of plywood were running us $45/sheet and now are around $60.

That’s a huge jump in price, why do you think the tariffs have affected plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Today i contacted a contractor to take a look at our roof. He said he could stop by to inspect in a couple weeks but not replace it until after march next year due to being too busy.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Wtf, I was under the impression that most of the mill work was here in the US.

There is a large supply chain of Chinese millwork flowing into the US. I don’t think there is a single Hotel chain or high rise apartment/condo project done in the DC metro area in the last 3yrs where the millwork was made in the US. However that business segment is being impacted greatly by the tariffs. Developers who awarded jobs 6 months ago are being asked to pay the difference.

Vswillj1

Oct 1, 2018
    There is a large supply chain of Chinese millwork flowing into the US. I don’t think there is a single Hotel chain or high rise apartment/condo project done in the DC metro area in the last 3yrs where the millwork was made in the US. However that business segment is being impacted greatly by the tariffs. Developers who awarded jobs 6 months ago are being asked to pay the difference.

Wow.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland

I ran a couple of hotel renos, and we used little mom and pop millwork shops almost exclusively. Just had to point out that its not *all* :cool:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just bumping this thread to gauge commercial construction activity in the DC/Baltimore region.

We had three months of serious backlog and had to turn away some projects. I stated to feel a bit if a slow down in October and the slide is accelerating for us in November.

I ask our customers, suppliers and even competitors how things are going all of the time. The feedback I’m getting is that residential remodeling is way way down. Thats not our main focus, but I think when residential work falls off, some companies shift to small commercial projects which may be creating more competition in our major market segment.

I’m also getting occasional calls from experienced people, looking for work in our field, stating they are not getting enough work where they are currently.

Any feedback is always appreciated.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Starting to slow slightly around the holidays , this slight slowdown is welcomed so i may clear up backlog as long as it don't last till next year . But yes i see a slight slowing .

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I work for a large national portable storage company and we are slowing over the last 3 months! Construction is down in MD & DC however NOVA seems to still be strong.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I speak with other people whom are busy in the local RE market. They (and I to a certain extent) have ALL types of excuses for swings in activity. What we seem to be seeing now is a definite slow down. We are also seeing what is eerily ~2007'esk New Construction pricing. No real rhyme or reason, just insanely high prices that the average Borrower seem to be ready able and willing to pay.

Dunno. I think we're in for a long ride, and, I'm NOT generally the doom and gloom type.

Thanks guys. In my past experience Election Years are always Flat or Slightly down years in the DC Market. I do feel like we are due for some leveling off in construction along with the election I have been expecting no growth for 2020. I just didn’t want it to start to dip in 19.

I’m still interested in feedback from anyone else too.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    We are so jammed up we don’t know what to do. Can’t find quality or even semi quality help

I am having a hard time keeping up with our workload, this is as busy as I have ever been

But it’s the time of year for stuff to slow down and I am seeing less to bid right now

I wish I could get some time off for the holidays but instead I am pulling 60 hour weeks to keep up as best I can

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Things are slow for me right now. I’ve bid a ton of jobs with start dates after the first of the year. Typically things slow down around the holidays for us.

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    My company manufactures steel products for commercial and industrial construction markets. Things are a bit slow right for me right now. At the moment, I’m chalking it up to a seasonal dip in the cycle. If things do not pick up in Jan-Feb, concern will grow. For now, take some guilt free time to hunt and/or shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom