• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Cool thanks. I scan all my forms into my computer so I can print them out any time I want. No worries making an extra copy while original stays in the safe.

Do you happen to have the troopers number and name?

Thanks,

Dave

Cpl. M. Cusimano
    410-653-4507

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks Merlin,
    I've decided to do the collectors paperwork, I guess I just, in a small way resent the way this is becoming a backdoor way to 'register' firearms owners. I completely understand not wanting to have a few people buying a bunch of guns and then reselling them to people who wouldn't otherwise qualify to buy a gun, but isn't there already a law on the books in Maryland that covers this? Doesn't it require all of us to go to the police barracks and do the exchange of ownership when you sell a gun in front of them?

I guess I'm already in a MD database because I've purchased an AR lower here. Don't they otherwise only keep records of that list of guns (what do they call them)? Anything that looks like a military type weapon goes into a database.

I just hate the thought even the possibility of being on a list of suspects every time there might be a shooting and an investigation, just because they know I own a gun of whatever caliber the shooter used. oh well, I have nothing to hide, I guess over the years I've actually become a collector in the eyes of some, so might as well not let that hinder me from being able to buy more than one gun a month.

If we all (or at least many of us) register as collectors that would lower the possibility of this kind of round-up. But then again, isn't this just another way of getting people to register firearms? Just a thought.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    It's probably going to take a lot longer than 3 weeks. I sent mine in August, got my letter in January. They are waaaay backed up. His name is Cpl. Cusimano and you can reach him through the main MSP Pikesville number. When they answer just ask for him by name. He can get you in the computer quick but you'll be waiting for that letter.

Thanks for the info. I am not in that big a hurry right now. The longer I wait the more money I save the more regulated firearms I can buy. Boy I hope my wife never sees this post.

Dave

tover26

EricinMaryland
    Jul 6, 2009
    MO County
    Love what you do MSI.

So, when the cops pull you over... how do you prove you're a designated collector? The letter I got was just that... a letter. Should I make a laminated copy of it and keep it in my car? Same as when I got to buy a bunch of guns... how do they know?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Love what you do MSI.

So, when the cops pull you over... how do you prove you're a designated collector? The letter I got was just that... a letter. Should I make a laminated copy of it and keep it in my car? Same as when I got to buy a bunch of guns... how do they know?

Well according to an FFL I know it is not up to the store to prove it. When you fill out your forms and check that you are a designated collector the form goes to the MSP and THEY check it against THEIR database. if you are in there you are OK. If not you are in trouble. The stores apparently have no way to check this database and since they cannot release the regulated firearms until it comes back from MSP they are covered. At least that is what was explained to me.

Dave

kevin106

Jan 14, 2009
    Maryland Shooter, will you have a table at the gun show the first week in October? If so, will you be running this special again???:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Well since I stated the facts about a certain FFL being full of shit, I am persona non grata here. It really keeps me up at night :lol2:

People love getting screwed on stripped lowers for $200 when they are falling out of the sky for $80 :sad20:

Then I am told Gem-Tech's tax day deal (GemTax) is illegal the way it's run, so a FFL who is clueless tells me one of the oldest and most respected suppressor manufacturers are wrong about how they do business. Yeah - I got my can and the FFL lost a $1,150 sale, in addition to all the things I bought since then and all the things I'll buy in the future. Hard to put a number on that fiasco.

I call 'em as I see 'em, but I'm the turd in the punch bowl. I feel bad about it because I do like the guy and would never question his honesty. I just can't stand there and listen to what I KNOW to be ******** and remain quiet.

I don't run a table, but if you want to be a designated collector, I'll hook you up. While everyone doesn't agree, I am still part of the shooting fraternity and so I will always help a fellow shooter.

Send an email when you will be in that area and I'll make a special trip if need be. I'll meet you somewhere close if I am not going. MD shows are good for targets, small parts sometimes and beef jerky.

I did find some steel core 7.62 x 39 I guess everyone missed last time.

As far as actual guns/rifles the prices are just insane. You buy a firearm there, you need to seek help.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Never looked. I only look at law that affects me. I was around when they discovered fire. However, I will check and in 21 days give me a shout VIA EMAIL and I will hook you up.

When I got mine, I never thought I'd need it. I was wrong.

There are excptions to the "one a month" besides a DC, but try telling that to a know-it-all FFL :sad20:

You may as well piss up a rope

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    How old do you have to be for a MD Designated Collector? I will be 21 in 21 days

Since the designated collector status is for buying regulated forearms, you must be 21 or older.

Never looked. I only look at law that affects me. I was around when they discovered fire. However, I will check and in 21 days give me a shout VIA EMAIL and I will hook you up.

How are you going to "hook you up"? The form is on the MSP web site. The link gets posted here at least once a month.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Since the designated collector status is for buying regulated forearms, you must be 21 or older.

How are you going to "hook you up"? The form is on the MSP web site. The link gets posted here at least once a month.

Maybe he's a Notary that will do it for free? :shrug:

ezeerider

Mount Airy, Marylandistan
    Feb 10, 2009
    Mount Airy, Md.

Do I have to make multiple purchases before applying. I have a perfectly clean record. I just have heard people getting denied.

I have only heard of people being denied if they did not already own at least one regulated weapon. I guess the logic is that if you don't own any regulated weapons, then how could you be considered a collector. I would get one regulated gun before sending in the paperwork, just to be sure.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Yeah I bought my first handgun at 21 and then a little bit ago applied for an ar15 lower and filled out the forum the same time. It took 1 month roughly to be a collector. It was easy as filling out the form and getting a friend to notarize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom