• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not a huge surprise to hear it got cut. I love my M&P's, but they do have a few things that put them at a disadvantage.

- Horrible trigger out of the box. (Easily rectified though, but not a way to get a leg up in a head to head comp with other makers.)
    - Relatively short-lived recoil spring, IIRC the replacement schedule is right around 3500 rounds.
    - The MIM slide release has been known to break. (I just had to replace mine, but well beyond 10k rounds thru the gun.)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    That's got to be quite a poke in the eye for them. They are out but the Italians, Belgians, Germans, and Austrians are still in. Not to mention they had even partnered with General Dynamics to get it done.

And it looks like the army is going to insist on continuing to use the 9mm round. This for a war application that largely uses FMJ ammo. I almost wonder why they are bothering.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's got to be quite a poke in the eye for them. They are out but the Italians, Belgians, Germans, and Austrians are still in. Not to mention they had even partnered with General Dynamics to get it done.

And it looks like the army is going to insist on continuing to use the 9mm round. This for a war application that largely uses FMJ ammo. I almost wonder why they are bothering.

Because that budget isn't going to spend itself... ;)

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Is it really any surprise, when American corporate rules, these days, are all about cut/slash/save money while placing more importance on stock performance?

Eventually, you end up getting out of it what you put into it -- an inferior product that doesn't compete, because too many corners were cut to save money.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Is it really any surprise, when American corporate rules, these days, are all about cut/slash/save money while placing more importance on stock performance?

Eventually, you end up getting out of it what you put into it -- an inferior product that doesn't compete, because too many corners were cut to save money.

Believe me, that's a worldwide problem for industry in general, except it seems in Asia, which should be scary to American business.

This isn't a comment on Smith at all because I don't know about their management practices. But as a general statement, western manufacturing is largely being crippled by a culture that looks for short term stock gains, and fails to play the long game. Why? Because we don't retain long term strategic managers. All the upper execs want to come in, get great results and subsequent bonuses for a few years at most, then leave and move on to the next corporation. A Board of Directors is supposed to keep this from happening, but it seems like a lot of them are just in it for the short run as well.

Meanwhile you have CEO's and VP's in China sitting at the helms of large corporations for decades and planning how they are going to rule a market in ten years, instead of making big numbers this Fall.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Well, one thing you can probably count on... Whatever the choice ultimately is, it will have little to do with the needs and requirements of the soldiers who will be issued the gun and actually be using it in the field... :sad20:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I carried the M9 for 25 years and 5 combat tours. I never had an issue with it and it works when needed. As far as 9mm vs 45 ACP who cares when your shooting FMJ and that's not going to change. 9mm kills people real good, been there, done it, didn't get a t-shirt.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If they really cared about a good combo, they'd just go with gen4 g17s firing 115+p dpx loads and call it a day. Limiting our military to FMJ is retarded....especially when our LEOs use HPs.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    The government is like one of those MDs posters asking for 9mm suggestions. They want Sig features and performance, Have a Highpoint budget, And always insist they won't consider Glocks.

The fact that the government is wasting money on testing 9mm pistols with 100 year old technology is stupid and a waste of money.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There's over 100 police departments in MD alone...so yeah...it hasn't won a military contract and by and large most agencies don't issue it.

Aside from the fact that it's a historic title that S&W has used since the early 1900s, there are, in fact, 300+ Police agencies that issue S&W M&Ps. Hence, it's a perfectly acceptable name for this line.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Aside from the fact that it's a historic title that S&W has used since the early 1900s, there are, in fact, 300+ Police agencies that issue S&W M&Ps. Hence, it's a perfectly acceptable name for this line.

300 of how many thousands?

It's not largely adopted that was my point.

Delete the police point if it makes you happy...where's the military part?

I laugh at the M&P not because it's an awful product but because it by and large didn't make a DENT in the police market and didn't get a military contract. I own 3 of them and like them. Even carried one for about 8 years.

If you can't see having 300 agencies nationwide when there is at least 100 agencies in MD as a FLOP then I can't help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom