Anyone here considered buying a house across the PA border?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I was thinking about moving across the border into PA. Lots of nice motorcycle roads just over the PA line, plus I'll be able to own firearms without being persecuted.

I've heard that you can get some nice property just across the line for less than comparable property nearer to Baltimore. I was looking in/around the New Freedom area. I work in Baltimore, so it'd be great if I could shoot down I-83.

I don't need a big place, since I'm single. A modest-sized rancher with a garage and enough grass between me and the neighbors that they can't hear me screaming at the X-box when I get spawn-killed in Modern Warfare 2. Maybe a second bedroom in case I get married and decide to breed.

I have a little bit of equity where I am now...I'd have to do a little fixing-up but I can probably unload this place.

Anyone looked for property just over the PA line?

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    My sister just moved to PA and her fiance works in Baltimore. Takes him about 60 min to get there, which isnt bad at all. They moved from baltimore county and got a nice house for less than what they sold their townhouse for. Not sure on exact numbers but I know it is cheaper than here. They moved to Red Lion btw.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have a few friends who moved up there from down here. They still commute to MD for work, but enjoy the freedom. I grew up in PA and the biggest concern you need to factor in is the taxes. Unlike MD, certain taxes are paid out to the school district and municipality, besides the taxes you are used to paying here. You need to find out what these are and they are not normally something Marylanders consider because they're not used to them. That happened to one friend of mine and it nearly broke the bank.

One couple moved into a condo in Stewartstown. It's new, has 2 bedrooms and 1 car garage. I've been up to visit several times. He and his friends yell at the X-box all the time and no one hears him. It's quiet and big enough for 2 people to live comfortably. For some reason, I can't get google maps to load. The community is near the Subway. Look up the Subway and if you see a traffic circle near by, the community is on the other side of that circle. Very quiet and nice!

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Yeah, I've heard about the "school taxes" and such. But if I can get the house for a little cheaper, I'd be hoping that it'd even out.

I just can't see buying a detached house around here...because of Baltimore, the property values are just way too high for a single guy. If I had a working wife it'd be different, but that's another story entirely. ;)

I DO know that the next place I move to, I'll want to stay there for the long haul. I'm in a townhouse right now and I've been here for like 7 years...done virtually NOTHING to "fix it up" because I'll probably just leave anyway. Next place I go, I want to be MINE.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I have been considering moving to PA myself.Picked up some local real estate listings in my travels but haven't gone much more serious than that.My parents were looking around Hanover and were liking the housing prices but haven't been able to make a move yet.Both retired and their house would need quite a bit of work to get marketable.The property taxes did scare them a little though,seemed crazy high yearly.Myself I would like to be around Gettysburg or a surrounding area.Part of the reason I haven't really going more indepth with moving is I would really like to change careers and the wife is in school to finally move up to RN as opposed to ER tech.Work is paying for her schooling.That and family being close for daycare for the kids keep me here local for the time being.I've got plenty of equity in the house but really need to move into a three bedroom two bath single family dwelling.Need the space and a yard for the kids and a garage not attached to the house.The state being more gun friendly,cost of living seems lower and the idea of not having nightly fly overs by MSP choppers makes the move more and more appealing.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    We are starting to think about moving into a single family house. We are in a townhouse now. If we move I would like to be in a more gun friendly place and get a bit more for my money then I would here. I am currently living in Frederick.

Problem is, the wife doesn't want to move very far from her friends, doesn't care much about 2A, while I tele-work now, my office is in McLean. Most of my job prospects would be in near the DC Metro area if I were to change employers. PA would be a helleva commute The wife's office is in Annapolis.

The wife is a Texas girl, and with the recent spate of snows, have been teasing each other about moving to Austin.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    As a general rule, do Pennsylvania state and local taxes usually end up being more than Maryland State taxes? If so, is the difference significant?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As a general rule, do Pennsylvania state and local taxes usually end up being more than Maryland State taxes? If so, is the difference significant?

Yes, besides fed and state taxes

You have the county tax tax on your property/income tax also, the township tax, and the school tax on your property. Each are independent of the others.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Texas has high property taxes, but the lack of an income tax always made up for it. I want to get back there soon!

Retirement = Texas Hill Country.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am maybe 30 minutes from the PA line, assuming good weather. 2/3 of the year I work in DC and that would add miles and time to my commute. Just a hair too far to do everyday.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Look north of Shoesbury for better deals. Look in some of the Hamlets off the beaten path. Taxes are gonna be a bigger bite so make sure you know what you are getting into. The Glen Rock area comes to mind - PLUS you would be near Freedom Armory.;)

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008

Probably. Property taxes are a lot higher thanks to the school tax, but income tax is lower. So if you make a ton of money and buy a cheap place, you may break even or come out ahead, but it's unlikely.

I'm looking at a place in Delta, property taxes are about double what they are in Harford County, but I'll pay about half the income tax I pay here. When the dust settles, I'll end up paying a few grand more in Delta than in Harford County.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    You can find some nice deals in southern PA. If anyone wants to have some mortgage scenarios run for you just to see the breakdowns let me know...been doing it for years and I'm in the MDS vendor section if you need my info :D

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Probably. Property taxes are a lot higher thanks to the school tax, but income tax is lower. So if you make a ton of money and buy a cheap place, you may break even or come out ahead, but it's unlikely.

I'm looking at a place in Delta, property taxes are about double what they are in Harford County, but I'll pay about half the income tax I pay here. When the dust settles, I'll end up paying a few grand more in Delta than in Harford County.

I grew up in delta, built houses in delta, and over the last year looked at dozens of homes for sale up there. I already bought my fixer upper, and have no money left to buy anything else, so if you see something send me the listing and if i know anything about it i'll let you know. Especially if its in the trails, there are a ton of money pits in there.

The big difference between york county and harford/baltimore/cecil, one that really stands out this week, is the snow. They dont plow or salt in southern york county. You are pretty much on your own till the snow melts. Everyone has 4x4 or awd, and if they dont, they just have serious balls.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Made the jump in June 08 to Windsor, PA from Westminster, MD. We love it, and it gets better and better as time goes on, hopefully we never have to leave.

Houses are a lot cheaper than in MD, but the prices have been stable, probably because of the flood of MDers coming into the area. However, everything else is cheaper, food, beer, restraunts, guns, basically everything. It is also the land of used stuff, cars, appliances, etc. There is an awesome selection of bargains around, a lot of small buisnesses that have kept the big box stores at bay with better prices and far better service, definitely not a disposable society up here.

Taxes suck, every Town, county, school district and borough has their hand out, there are a few annual taxes that run $10 or so, that I still don't really understand, state income tax is about 3%, county and borough tax are about 1% combined. property tax and school tax are 2 different animals, the property tax is very low, school tax is insane. All in all I pay less in taxes up here than I would in a comprable MD home. But as always your situation will dictate if this is the case for you or not.

One big downside are the vehicle inspections and registration, both yearly. The registration is about 1/4 the price of MD's 2 year stickers, but the safety and emissions have to be done every year also. They are very leinient, and don't check all that much stuff, but cost about $40-$70 for depending on the shop you use. The Penndot (MVA) is relatively efficient and fast, and also has a lot of local tag and title services(Runkles in York county) that compete with the state run offices. It cost me about $250 and took a total of 30 minutes worth of waiting for 2 trips to get my driver's license and 3 vehicles resistered and tagged, another $150 in inspections handled at a motorcycle shop and local Firestone(car, truck and motorcycle).

LTCF-takes about $25 and 3 days from mailing the app to permit in hand to get what we dream of in MD. Very simple shall issue process, no prints, and only a single page form, they take your picture at the sheriffs office when they approve your application. No 7 day wait, no 1 gun a month, no regulated long guns, all NFA is legal. The only pertinent law is a couple places you can't carry, and a 1 page state form for hanguns in addition to the 4473.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have a nice little place up there, nice areas in the Central and Eastern parts of the state. Hunting isnt the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom